Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2020 Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Places in NEK VT not on west slopes doing well though too, I wonder if there was just a pocket of colder profiles just by half a degree or degree C lower in that upper CT River Valley.

Maybe being into the mtns on that wind trajectory was just enough for a bit of downslope in a borderline profile. Yeah seems like that CT valley area did well, esp the west slopes. I also think being NE when the atmosphere cooled from west to east didn't help as much. IOW, longitude ftw. 

• Like 1

Definitely ended up getting downsloped or something here. I talked to the local guy and he said it never got going once the snow mixed in. Classic rate-driven screw job I guess. I don't think it's going to be very common to be beaten by Littleton and Lancaster. Really glad it snowed all the same. Always good to get the first one. In MD we would call this a "good winter event" after tracking it for 2 weeks. LOL

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe being into the mtns on that wind trajectory was just enough for a bit of downslope in a borderline profile. Yeah seems like that CT valley area did well, esp the west slopes. I also think being NE when the atmosphere cooled from west to east didn't help as much. IOW, longitude ftw. 

Yeah I think the cooling going west to east was a big part of it, we see it here too where the CAA can get held up in the mountains.  It looked like when it did cool it did it very quickly in NE VT and NW NH.  But models also had an area of -3C at 850 wanting to develop there in the upper CT Valley.  I think that NW quad of the precip shield was just ever so slightly more conductive to snowing at lower elevations.

Heck even Lyndonville pit and KCDA were 33/32 and snowing this morning.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Definitely ended up getting downsloped or something here. I talked to the local guy and he said it never got going once the snow mixed in. Classic rate-driven screw job I guess. I don't think it's going to be very common to be beaten by Littleton and Lancaster. Really glad it snowed all the same. Always good to get the first one. In MD we would call this a "good winter event" after tracking it for 2 weeks. LOL

NW flow is def going to favor the straight west side more...especially in changeover events. Those will be pretty rare once winter gets going and most precip is snow, but advecting the cold in from the NW is going to be way more efficient to the west. The Pilot range to your NW prob made it a little less efficient advecting the cold in. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Cannon was absolutely Nuking at 5 am when i pulled off 93 into that exit.  Weather went down hill Fast heading up Notch. When a plow passed a while later i headed south and hit the Kanc ....Top of Kanc had 4.4 at 730 am. Cannon i'm pretty certain got a littler more than them by now. 

Yeah those west side places are smoking...you can see how well Alex is doing even down at 1500 and change. Cannon always gets hammered on that type of setup. 

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Cannon was absolutely Nuking at 5 am when i pulled off 93 into that exit.  Weather went down hill Fast heading up Notch. When a plow passed a while later i headed south and hit the Kanc ....Top of Kanc had 4.4 at 730 am. Cannon i'm pretty certain got a littler more than them by now. 

Kanc sounds like a safe drive in those conditions.  Hopefully you were steering with your knees while you scrolled through radar apps. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah those west side places are smoking...you can see how well Alex is doing even down at 1500 and change. Cannon always gets hammered on that type of setup. 

Was watching the temps on the Mt. Washington Regional Mesonet and Saw that Cannon hit 32 a couple hours prior to Wildcat. My guess is the Top of Cannon and the other Big one just SW is near Jackpot . 

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Kanc sounds like a safe drive in those conditions.  Hopefully you were steering with your knees while you scrolled through radar apps. 

LMAO. I waited for a plow to go up Kanc. I made it to Just short of Hairpin turn and then turned off into a parking area under some pines that didn't have much snow and waited for plow. Franconia Notch was a white out. I was planning to go to Base of Cog at 2600' but i decided i couldn't go any futher on 93 N without plows.

• Like 2