Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2020 Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Larry Cosgrove

Why the storm on Halloween Week is so important....

As the ECMWF series seems to be falling in with the potentially dire GFS outline for a major East Coast storm the week of Halloween, I thought it smart to discuss what the big deal is if the disturbance verifies.

1) With a fairly amplified +PNA alignment at 500MB, the chance for a great deal of polar air from Canada to cover the eastern half of the country is very high. The nocturnal frost line Oct 31 - Nov 2 could reach down to the Interstate 40 cities, east of the Rocky Mountains.

2) This system will NOT be a major snow maker. Most of the energy and moisture with the combinant (tropical + cold core) system will be along and to the right of the storm track, which I suspect will be quite close to the Atlantic shoreline above Norfolk VA. There could be some snow shower/squall threats in the Great Lakes and Appalachia, however.

3) While it is too soon to determine likely pressure and wind elements with this feature, the consistency of the GFS series for the development and general motion of low pressure from the Caribbean Sea is startling. A blend of the 1991 and 2012 oceanic storm analogs remains viable.

4) If this gyre does form, it will NOT be an indicator of what the upcoming winter will be like. It is just too early!

Deal with nothing 

- Cosgrove 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Deal with nothing 

- Cosgrove 

I'm not sure what your intentions are with this "snark" ? 

But, I happen to agree with him regarding that particular spatial-temporal range .  I just droned on about it in my own way over in the tropical thread.   

But to paraphrase:  There is a significant modal change in the PNA ...going from a local time-scale nadir to a concerted rise through neutral .. ending at a +1 SD out there toward week two.  Going from -2 to +1 in a domain space the represents the shear girth and mass of atmosphere that the PNA does, is a huge momentum signal - just sayn' 

To add conceptually ... the alarm clock for seasonal/climate teleonnector significance has gone off.   The PNA comes to life now as useful corrective tool - I wouldn't put it lightly to have every GEF member there is, signaling support for the operational version.  Then, to have the disparate ECM run landing both in trend and single runs now on top that same sort of notion of a deep eastern N/A trough ...  

Heh...I don't think that is discountable out of hand - ...

I realize you employ no meteorological skill as an impish sort of internet clown that likes to poke social media hornet nests like a deviant Trump rally drama queen... but, sometimes you gotta check your going modes at the door and realize that in this reception hall of reality,  "you can't always get what you want"  ...This strikes me as a wonderful opportunity for you to demonstrate real growth and even a quasi ethical approach to the engagement here -

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

17 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Removing any potential tropical system from the Caribbean from the equation, that trough as modeled for day 10 could be fun. Should create a strong storm system in itself.

You have to realize ... once the provincial has been exposed to the next higher order dramatic circumstance, anything less ...even if the lesser value is a 960 mb coastal flood bombing earthquake triggering pandemic is just an utter crap out piece of shit forgettable failure - 

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not sure what your intentions are with this "snark" ? 

But, I happen to agree with him regarding that particular spatial-temporal range .  I just droned on about it in my own way over in the tropical thread.   

But to paraphrase:  There is a significant modal change in the PNA ...going from a local time-scale nadir to a concerted rise through neutral .. ending at a +1 SD out there toward week two.  Going from -2 to +1 in a domain space the represents the shear girth and mass of atmosphere that the PNA does, is a huge momentum signal - just sayn' 

To add conceptually ... the alarm clock for seasonal/climate teleonnector significance has gone off.   The PNA comes to life now as useful corrective tool - I wouldn't put it lightly to have every GEF member there is, signaling support for the operational version.  Then, to have the disparate ECM run landing both in trend and single runs now on top that same sort of notion of a deep eastern N/A trough ...  

Heh...I don't think that is discountable out of hand - ...

I realize you employ no meteorological skill as an impish sort of internet clown that likes to poke social media hornet nests like a deviant Trump rally drama queen... but, sometimes you gotta check your going modes at the door and realize that in this reception hall of reality,  "you can't always get what you want"  ...This strikes me as a wonderful opportunity for you to demonstrate real growth and even a quasi ethical approach to the engagement here -

It’s like you’ve been living in moms basement for the last 15 years. You gotta get out and meet people and interact with society. If you did , you’d know where - Deal with it came from 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 3

18 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

NAM is pretty wet here.... close to 2”.

Gfs is like .5”... pretty big differences this close in

Someone may get a min like that. Tough to say where. I still think a 2 part/area jack. Western CT and MA into adjacent VT and NH. Could pull 2+. I’ll be happy with an inch. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Someone may get a min like that. Tough to say where. I still think a 2 part/area jack. Western CT and MA into adjacent VT and NH. Could pull 2+. I’ll be happy with an inch. 

Well see. Pretty much all other guidance is at least an inch here, and the 3k NaM seems to hint at the two Jack areas... with the second being SE Mass somewhere?

Ill be happy with an inch or more.... .5” would be pretty disappointing 

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Well see. Pretty much all other guidance is at least an inch here, and the 3k NaM seems to hint at the two Jack areas... with the second being SE Mass somewhere?

Ill be happy with an inch or more.... .5” would be pretty disappointing 

Yeah I think second area is ern CT into adjacent MA and RI. Maybe SE areas included. I agree though most areas .75”-1.5” at least.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mitch's area in S.VT looks like it might do some accumulating snow, they probably have one of the better shots in Vermont at this point.  Large area of 2,000ft elevation, and precip lingers there after thicknesses lower enough.  Could see Mitchy with a couple wet inches tomorrow morning.

Yeah wouldn’t be surprised to see a few hair buns covered in snow tomorrow.