Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2020 Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The worst radar coverage is by far eastern VT.  The Spine close to BTV means we need to use higher scans, but if 2.4 degree is the first to clear the Spine, that angle is so steep that by the time it’s in eastern VT or the northeast kingdom, it’s at 12-15000 feet up.  Like I-91 corridor, the radar is hitting 15,000ft up in the air, which isn’t going to give you much help in figuring out the surface.

In fact, at 15000ft in eastern VT, many times all the precipitation is occurring well below that, even synoptic precipitation.  So you never even see the precip unless it’s summer convection punching high in the air.

I think that’s why @alex mentioned the lack of echoes in eastern VT... the beam keeps rising as the precip moves eastward, and eventually the beam is just going above the precipitation, because the Green Mtn Spine necessitates a steep initial scan angle.

I just assume the radar is missing stuff in eastern VT.  You can see it being blocked by the spine and shooting through the Winooski Valley gap towards Montpelier.  I always thought MPV would be a great radar site.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s nice. Normally this is one of the most green times of the year, but the drought hasn’t helped. I’ll enjoy it as much as I can given the current situation. 

Yeah I’ve been enjoying any mild/warm afternoon possible.  Hoping to have another good weekend of hiking.

lol at MWN, a low of 12F with a wind chill of -16F.

Got to 37* under the trees.  Lots of frost once you get down the hill.

In other news--the National Grid fairies came overnight and I'm back up with power and internet.  Surpised the internet came back up as well==we're on FIOS so I"d have imagined Verizon would have had to come to rerun those lines.  Whatever--I'm back up.

• Like 1

Foliage is variable. The oaks are still fairly green, then you have some bare maples and colorful maples. In in all, foliage season hasn't been good over the last several years it seems. We have had a lot of dry summers since 2013. Must be Tippy's Hadley Cell getting ready to gobble us up like Pac Man.

• Like 1

Looking further ahead, the 2nd half of October looks like there will be some cold shots and that is perhaps the first threat for snow in New England outside of the mountain tops.

This is the kind of pattern that could produce something in the typical favored early season spots.

Oct9_EPS_276.png

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We need to create a Wikipedia page for that scientific name.

Range: All of New England. Feeds on craft beer. Invasive and can be a pest during the warm season. Multiplies rapidly in humid summers following snowy winters. Very predictable behavior despite it thinking it can outsmart predators. It is the prized meal of the Coastal Mantis (Scooterus Knowsis). Sometimes mates with the cranberry ass borer (Rayus Fortyseventius) producing hot dog shaped larvae.  

• Haha 6