Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2020 Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

0.76” looks like it’ll do it here.

MVL ASOS has leaves clogging the rain gauge, only 0.03” there today despite several rounds of 1.75sm visibility rain :lol:.

And nope.  It is pouring again.  Every time I think it’s done another round pops up over Mansfield and rolls into town.

Judging by the pics Matt( [mention=709]butterfish55[/mention]) texted... it’s going to be a while here.... trees and wires down and on fire.
Yeah, 2 areas on either side of Raynham with downed lines causing fires. Times like this I'm glad we have a small municipal power company. They'll get us up and running quickly. It'll be one of those nights where you're woken up at 2:00 with every light in the house on.
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, alex said:

I'm not sure we qualify for the "highest elevations." Unless you're looking at a different forecast...

But soon!

The wunderground forecast for your exact location says chance of snow showers tomorrow morning. I don't see anything about elevations. I am not basing any plans on it, was just making the comment. I don't expect anything.

• Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Only 0.08"? Where in Portland are you? I work over on Riverside across from golf course and it poured mod to hard for 30min. I figured at least 0.3" or more

I'm actually in South Portland, near the Scarborough line.  I, too, am often the victim of the 7-10 split so not surprised to hear that.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The wunderground forecast for your exact location says chance of snow showers tomorrow morning. I don't see anything about elevations. I am not basing any plans on it, was just making the comment. I don't expect anything.

Yeah some mangled flakes or graupel wouldn't be surprising.

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Ah. I was going by NWS. I never look at wunderground, is it fairly accurate? Where do they get their forecast from? I know one of the things we often discuss with Oceanstwx here is how hard it is to forecast for an area where it may be heavy snow at my house and not a flake at Diane's 5 miles away

4 minutes ago, alex said:

Ah. I was going by NWS. I never look at wunderground, is it fairly accurate? Where do they get their forecast from? I know one of the things we often discuss with Oceanstwx here is how hard it is to forecast for an area where it may be heavy snow at my house and not a flake at Diane's 5 miles away

I have always found wunderground to be pretty accurate. Not sure how they generate their forecast. I have noticed that the forecast for the weather station about 800-1000 feet below me (but fairly close in terms of distance) is pretty accurate for that lower spot and seems to take into account at least some of the delta from my station. So there is definitely some fine-tuning going on.

I think rime icing is a good possibility in the northern mountains instead of snow showers.  Models have high RH trapped under 5-6k feet, but rapidly dropping to 40% above 6kft.  Drying aloft in the colder profile won’t facilitate cloud ice crystal formation very well.  Super-cooled droplets though could find ease sticking to the kummholz.