Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
October 2020 Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

10 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

So I open the back deck to let the dogs out and I see flames which look like my neighbors house. Call FD head down his 1/4 mile drive way, his woods are a blaze. Wake him and his wife up and another neighbor.  FD puts it out. He dumped a charcoal grill out without fully extinguishing it.  

20201004_210910.jpg

dumbass

• Sad 1

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

dumbass

I was not happy.  Thank God for no wind. I could hear the crackling as soon as I stepped out my door. Thats a good 1/4 mile from my house but nothing but woods between us with a shit ton of downed trees from the 6 storms since 2017 that have toppled trees.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My dad almost burned our house down after improperly disposing of ashes from a wood stove way back when. 
Glad no one was hurt etc 

When I was about 11 years old, I decided that I would surprise my dad and clean up after a BBQ without being asked.  I dumped the grill contents into the garbage can inside of the attached garage.  We were then sitting on the porch talking to a neighbor, ironically about a series of fires that had recently been set in the area.  The neighbor says he smells smoke we rush down and sure enough the garbage can was ablaze right next to the 77 Buick Electra.  We put it out before any damage could happen but needless to say my dad was not overly happy and I learned to be very sure that all coals were completely out when cleaning the grill. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

So I open the back deck to let the dogs out and I see flames which look like my neighbors house. Call FD head down his 1/4 mile drive way, his woods are a blaze. Wake him and his wife up and another neighbor.  FD puts it out. He dumped a charcoal grill out without fully extinguishing it.  

20201004_210910.jpg

This is my nightmare as someone who owns a small fire pit. Not that I live in the woods, but I drown the ashes before feeling comfortable going to bed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

This is my nightmare as someone who owns a small fire pit. Not that I live in the woods, but I drown the ashes before feeling comfortable going to bed.

I had a moment when a random piece of ash drifted like 80' behind my shed and started a fire. That was scary. 

10 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Yea I always spend a good half hour drowning our big pit after a deep long burn. I had seen it rekindle even after drowning it, now I don't stop until there is no smoke or steam. My pit can handle 2 pallets side by side and I love to burn and chill at a pit especially in a snow storm. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I had a moment when a random piece of ash drifted like 80' behind my shed and started a fire. That was scary. 

Same here... it happened right under my nose, too - 

It was April ...I wanna say 2016, and as typical at that time of year, the region was going through its right of passage climo window for spring detritus fire threat.  Three weeks past mud-season .. two weeks before the thrust of green-up. The day was mid 70s over about /10 or some richly deep theta-e content desert like that ... And there I am using one of those backyard ornamental fire pans you get at a parking lot display at a Home Depot to feed the flames with pieces of felt dead timber.  The funny part is that I used some lighter fluid to get it going too...

I turn around - uh... oh shit moment!   I mean, it's a sinuously winding arc of orange, propagating away at a noticeable speed.  I have no idea how that started behind my heels like that...

Burnout's no option ...nor, what am I going to tamp it out with dried out dead pine bows? - and seeing as I was tOtally responsible in prepping the setting for fire safety before I started... Then there's that small problem of the neighbor's dilapidated, seasonally dried out stock fencing with holes in it... making visible their yellow-beige straw lawn and dead leaf mixture on the other side...  

So I'm in the house eviscerating the contents of the closet that caps the crawl space, ... banging and chucking vacuum clean parts and cleaners and half-emptied brick dried paint cans... Estimating? I'd 180/110 BP at a 110 pulse rate ... this, trying to access the outside water valve, to turn on the source for the hose, ...that's still coiled up buried in the back of the shed outside while I am doing that, ...with all of last year's tools and lawn implement burriering between the opening of the shed and said hose.. 

I don't know how in the face of all those obstacles... But, I probably more literally than merely figuratively managed to just get the hose connected and the water on, spraying the - by then - arc of fire that had consumed almost 2/3rds of my dead backyard lawn and contents ...all the way down to black char, terminating it in a steam flash a mere inches from the fencing...  

I think when the adrenaline wore off I slept for 3 hours on the couch.   If I had called the fire department it's like 1500 base-line charge/fine in this town, prior to any accoutrements they get to tack circumstantially on the bill too - 

I did this in my 40s age ... a Meteorologist ...  in mid April ... in 77 F early season warmth, two weeks before green up, in a global warming spring -  

It's humility like these that ease the coming of acceptance of me, on display in the museum, a shimmering gallery mediocrity in life - and thankful for this much recognition. Christ. 

What's interesting is that... where ever the fire swept across the lawn ..grew the most delicious emerald green salad of grass I'd ever seen - heh...I was thinking - you know? if one could just  figure this out... a spring controlled burn is the best way to set your lawn up for prize entry - ...nah, better not.

• Weenie 1

50 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Same here... it happened right under my nose, too - 

It was April ...I wanna say 2016, and as typical at that time of year, the region was going through its right of passage climo window for spring detritus fire threat.  Three weeks past mud-season .. two weeks before the thrust of green-up. The day was mid 70s over about /10 or some richly deep theta-e content desert like that ... And there I am using one of those backyard ornamental fire pans you get at a parking lot display at a Home Depot to feed the flames with pieces of felt dead timber.  The funny part is that I used some lighter fluid to get it going too...

I turn around - uh... oh shit moment!   I mean, it's a sinuously winding arc of orange, propagating away at a noticeable speed.  I have no idea how that started behind my heels like that...

Burnout's no option ...nor, what am I going to tamp it out with dried out dead pine bows? - and seeing as I was tOtally responsible in prepping the setting for fire safety before I started... Then there's that small problem of the neighbor's dilapidated, seasonally dried out stock fencing with holes in it... making visible their yellow-beige straw lawn and dead leaf mixture on the other side...  

So I'm in the house eviscerating the contents of the closet that caps the crawl space, ... banging and chucking vacuum clean parts and cleaners and half-emptied brick dried paint cans... Estimating? I'd 180/110 BP at a 110 pulse rate ... this, trying to access the outside water valve, to turn on the source for the hose, ...that's still coiled up buried in the back of the shed outside while I am doing that, ...with all of last year's tools and lawn implement burriering between the opening of the shed and said hose.. 

I don't know how in the face of all those obstacles... But, I probably more literally than merely figuratively managed to just get the hose connected and the water on, spraying the - by then - arc of fire that had consumed almost 2/3rds of my dead backyard lawn and contents ...all the way down to black char, terminating it in a steam flash a mere inches from the fencing...  

I think when the adrenaline wore off I slept for 3 hours on the couch.   If I had called the fire department it's like 1500 base-line charge/fine in this town, prior to any accoutrements they get to tack circumstantially on the bill too - 

I did this in my 40s age ... a Meteorologist ...  in mid April ... in 77 F early season warmth, two weeks before green up, in a global warming spring -  

It's humility like these that ease the coming of acceptance of me, on display in the museum, a shimmering gallery mediocrity in life - and thankful for this much recognition. Christ. 

What's interesting is that... where ever the fire swept across the lawn ..grew the most delicious emerald green salad of grass I'd ever seen - heh...I was thinking - you know? if one could just  figure this out... a spring controlled burn is the best way to set your lawn up for prize entry - ...nah, better not.

Nashua requires that your hose be extended and charged anytime you burn. So I've got that going for me.

Still see a decent chance of a PWAT plume entering the westerlies near enough our circuitry to clip New England if not more directly from Delta ... 

At the time I thought Gamma but ..it doesn't really matter as both entities were in hot prospect of being captured by the larger synoptic grab and smear pattern... 

The question is, what form does that take. 

Some guidance even hold onto vestigial ...though conversion physics, others are wane it out but then develop a separate baroclinic wavy on the wave boundary that feeds off the latent heat plume...and gets us that way...   Then of course the GFS tries to shunt it all S under a high pressure it is too aggressive and full of shit to begin with because it has too much mid and upper air tropospheric wind speeds everywhere, all the time, as an irritating model bias that causes confluences to get out of control mass and produces too much surface high pressures...