Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

uofmiami

6 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

A normal winter would be a big win. 

Indeed!  One thing that I am starting to see again that is similar to last winter already is that it is warmer farther north.....because of more sunshine?  High was 69 at Allentown yesterday with fog while it was 75 at Scranton.  I also heard it was in the 70s up in Vermont?  I wonder if this is a general pattern that will continue going forward.  If you look at temperature departures at least in the northeast, the warm anomalies increase as you go north.  It's almost like the furnace that is the Arctic has a fire burning up there that is now spreading southward.  It's also logical that the center north of the country and the Mountain west would be the last hold outs to widespread warmth because they are the farthest away from the oceans and the oceans are heat sinks that absorb carbon most quickly (becoming acidic in the process and destroying coral reefs.)  Being away from the influence of ocean heat sinks is also why Antarctica is not warming as quickly as the Arctic, although that may be in the process of changing now.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, LoboLeader1 said:

I had to turn on the C/A yesterday, due to the humid conditions. Fog was horrible this AM.

we need a largescale dehumidifier to get rid of this crap and transport it to where wildfires are occurring.

transport that excess rain in the southeast to the wildfire regions! we need a massive transfer of moisture, humanity needs to start geoengineering 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Indeed!  One thing that I am starting to see again that is similar to last winter already is that it is warmer farther north.....because of more sunshine?  High was 69 at Allentown yesterday with fog while it was 75 at Scranton.  I also heard it was in the 70s up in Vermont?  I wonder if this is a general pattern that will continue going forward.  If you look at temperature departures at least in the northeast, the warm anomalies increase as you go north.  It's almost like the furnace that is the Arctic has a fire burning up there that is now spreading southward.  It's also logical that the center north of the country and the Mountain west would be the last hold outs to widespread warmth because they are the farthest away from the oceans and the oceans are heat sinks that absorb carbon most quickly (becoming acidic in the process and destroying coral reefs.)  Being away from the influence of ocean heat sinks is also why Antarctica is not warming as quickly as the Arctic, although that may be in the process of changing now.

I'm not a fan of comparing current temps to the averages during the past 30 years. The comparison should be made over the entire data set for a location. 

Have you read the 2 volume set Early American Wnters?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

we need a largescale dehumidifier to get rid of this crap and transport it to where wildfires are occurring.

transport that excess rain in the southeast to the wildfire regions! we need a massive transfer of moisture, humanity needs to start geoengineering 

Careful, LB, the companies that would supply the energy for such an undertaking just got a woody. As always ....

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I'm not a fan of comparing current temps to the averages during the past 30 years. The comparison should be made over the entire data set for a location. 

Have you read the 2 volume set Early American Wnters?

Not yet but I am a big fan of weather histories, specifically 1600s-1800s.  Where did you obtain it?

Yes, I find 30 years to be very arbitrary, I would expand it to 1950 and beyond as that is when most airport stations came "on line."  So if you compare the last 60-70 years let's say, you'll be dealing with a similar time frame across most official locations that report weather data..

30 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

nice July morning..........

I remember saying that last January when we were near 70 in the middle of the night and getting thunderstorms!

and I drove through a forested area that was experiencing a wildfire back in February (Delaware Water Gap.)  Found out later they had another one in May.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

hey it would be cheaper than trying to fight all these multbillion dollar disasters year after year.

21 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

reminds me of the June gloom we often see on the coast here when the waters are still cold

Reminds me of the night John Lennon was killed..It was 60 degrees at midnight with fog and rain..This was December 8th..2 weeks later it was 0 degrees.I remember Nov 13th 1993 it was close to 80 degrees followed by a cold,snowy winter .In weather things always change

Everyone talking about the humidity and yes it's high for this time of year, but it's still nothing compared to the type of humidity we get in the summer when we have oppressive dewpoints in the 70s. Everyone is different, but to me a dewpoint of 64 doesn't feel bad at all. The humidity doesn't start feeling uncomfortable to me until the dewpoint gets to the low 70s. I went for a 7 mile run last night and didn't feel the 64 dewpoint one bit. In fact I liked it because it was nice that it felt warm enough out to be able to run with just a t-shirt on at night this time of year.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Everyone talking about the humidity and yes it's high for this time of year, but it's still nothing compared to the type of humidity we get in the summer when we have oppressive dewpoints in the 70s. Everyone is different, but to me a dewpoint of 64 doesn't feel bad at all. The humidity doesn't start feeling uncomfortable to me until the dewpoint gets to the low 70s. I went for a 7 mile run last night and didn't feel the 64 dewpoint one bit. In fact I liked it because it was nice that it felt warm enough out to be able to run with just a t-shirt on at night this time of year.

Relative humidity has been very high, hence all of the fog

• Like 1