Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

uofmiami

Morning thoughts...

At 8 am, rain associated with developing low pressure along a slow moving cold front extended northward into southeastern Pennsylvania and extreme southern New Jersey. That slow-moving front will move across the region today and tonight. Periods of rain will develop as the day progresses. The temperature will fall from present levels once the rain arrives. Afterward, temperatures will likely be confined to the 50s across much of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region from 8 am onward include:

New York City (Central Park): 62°

Newark: 63°

Philadelphia: 60°

A mainly fair but cool weekend is in store. Warmer temperatures should return early next week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Good Friday morning everyone,

No topic for me on todays rainfall... helpful for sure. Am expecting basically 1/2 to 2" depending on repeat episodes of showers. Note impossible to see 2.5" but to me this is relatively normal.  

I am paying attention to the pattern around October 25-27.  Zeta (my expectation only-if the earlier near Bermuda system ~10/20-22 doesn't get named Epsilon, then I suspect the FL system around 24th-25th would be Epsilon). We'll see if the 500 MB pattern adjusts to a sharper trough near 80-85W longitude as the EPS is starting to show recently. If not, then no problem. NAEFS shows something along the se USA coast then peeling out to sea northeastward. VERY VERY early (9 days) but based on multi op models and multiple ensembles, am glad am not cruising Bermuda to Key West...I think its going to be a little on the rough side as opposed to typical daily tropical.   Again, only what I'm looking for. It still may not pan out. 654A/16

Very interesting that the models keep showing a possibility  of a tropical low coming up here with snow on the backside for the far interior.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_42.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_47.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

That 10/24 - 10/28 period could see some wild weather if the long range guidance progs are correct, not before about 7 - 8 days of warmth with bif ridge along the EC.

Yeah, next week looking like an amazing week with that ridge. 70 degree weather all week. Could be the last week of the season for outdoor activities in consistently warm temps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wdrag said:

Good Friday morning everyone,

No topic for me on todays rainfall... helpful for sure. Am expecting basically 1/2 to 2" depending on repeat episodes of showers. Note impossible to see 2.5" but to me this is relatively normal.  

I am paying attention to the pattern around October 25-27.  Zeta (my expectation only-if the earlier near Bermuda system ~10/20-22 doesn't get named Epsilon, then I suspect the FL system around 24th-25th would be Epsilon). We'll see if the 500 MB pattern adjusts to a sharper trough near 80-85W longitude as the EPS is starting to show recently. If not, then no problem. NAEFS shows something along the se USA coast then peeling out to sea northeastward. VERY VERY early (9 days) but based on multi op models and multiple ensembles, am glad am not cruising Bermuda to Key West...I think its going to be a little on the rough side as opposed to typical daily tropical.   Again, only what I'm looking for. It still may not pan out. 654A/16

sounds like you expect that system to be along the SE coast and then go out to sea from there, Walt, a la Matthew?

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Morning thoughts...

At 8 am, rain associated with developing low pressure along a slow moving cold front extended northward into southeastern Pennsylvania and extreme southern New Jersey. That slow-moving front will move across the region today and tonight. Periods of rain will develop as the day progresses. The temperature will fall from present levels once the rain arrives. Afterward, temperatures will likely be confined to the 50s across much of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region from 8 am onward include:

New York City (Central Park): 62°

Newark: 63°

Philadelphia: 60°

A mainly fair but cool weekend is in store. Warmer temperatures should return early next week.

How much rainfall expected for this system Don?

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

sounds like you expect that system to be along the SE coast and then go out to sea from there, Walt, a la Matthew?

At this distant view,  I take more or less what the ensembles give me... and that yes... the TC of whatever sort bothers FL around the 25th-26th (could be west coast) but eventually heads ne along the SE USA coast and then too far s and e of us BUT, tropical systems also alter the upper air patterns---not exactly sure if it's the chicken or the egg- but I expect more ridging to develop in the W ATLC and more troughing near 80-85W and therefore an option for a coastal hugger up the  E coast.  For this situation, UNTIL i see no storm develop, or the trough remains as its now modeled-too much 240 degrees flow up here (instead potential 200 degrees flow)- I wont lose sight of that option.  Let's see what evolves.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Very interesting that the models keep showing a possibility  of a tropical low coming up here with snow on the backside for the far interior.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_42.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_47.png

Remember Sandy?  Different pattern but W VA mountains I think got hammered with 2 feet (EC had it several days in advance).  Right now I need to go one step at a time... I want to see the Bermuda storm happen (only a hybrid? in stead of named event) and then we need something decent near FL by the 25th-26th.  I do recall someone posting very recently about GFS physics being biased cold, later in its future forecast steps...  so for now,  I have to think of climo, cold biases and lack of phasing potential--- all not in our favor but it is a member of the collective ensemble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Remember Sandy?  Different pattern but W VA mountains I think got hammered with 2 feet (EC had it several days in advance).  Right now I need to go one step at a time... I want to see the Bermuda storm happen (only a hybrid? in stead of named event) and then we need something decent near FL by the 25th-26th.  I do recall someone posting very recently about GFS physics being biased cold, later in its future forecast steps...  so for now,  I have to think of climo, cold biases and lack of phasing potential--- all not in our favor but it is a member of the collective ensemble. 

I think the Euro would have produced snow for the far interior also. That's an impressive trough on the euro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Makes me wonder if the Bermuda storm will cause the ridge to pump up stronger and to the west, thus increasing the chances for the second TC to hug the coast rather than safely go out to sea SE of us.

• Like 1