Total Members
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob
PhineasC

New England Firewood and Wood-Burning Thread

20 hours ago, tamarack said:

Yes, but (from memory, have not seen a black birch log in about 50 years) not as dark as cherry, and the white-to-red contrast is sharper in cherry, the outer layer of white thinner.  Until cherry has been long dead, the wood retains its "bitter almond" aroma. 

For me, Orr and Gretzky share the top spot for controlling a game, though they did it in much different ways and Gretzky's control was much sneakier.  He was a great skater but IMO his puck-handling and awareness is what puts him at the top. He'd sit in his "office" behind the net then feed a teammate for a point blank shot.  Orr was a great puck-handler but IMO it's his skating is what put him at the top.  That combo meant that Orr could play keep-away longer than could anyone else, as best exemplified by his killing nearly all of a major (called on Phil Esposito) while down 2-1 to the Rangers in P-3 of game 6 in a playoff game (won 3-2 by the Bruins to clinch.  If they lost, G-7 would've been at MSG.) 
YMMV

I remember that penalty kill, Orr and those teams were just great to watch, my father bought a second 13" tv so we could watch the games while my mother and sisters had the main tv.

Just now, DavisStraight said:

I remember that penalty kill, Orr and those teams were just great to watch, my father bought a second 13" tv so we could watch the games while my mother and sisters had the main tv.

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Snowy picture and all. lol...Cusick and Johnny Pierson were terrific!! ...like chickens running around with their heads cut off

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PowderBeard said:

I recently showed this video to my 14-year-old nephew who did not believe me it happened. Love seeing the shoe come off. 

And typical of the Rangers to want no part of the Bruins lol 

5 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Snowy picture and all. lol...Cusick and Johnny Pierson were terrific!! ...like chickens running around with their heads cut off

Awesome, brings back memories, 1970-71 he was a plus minus of 124, thats unheard of, too bad knee surgery was what it was back then, he could have had a few more great years.

4 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

I recently showed this video to my 14-year-old nephew who did not believe me it happened. Love seeing the shoe come off. 

I watched that game live and sometimes doubt I saw it the way it happened. LOL. There was a show I think on Showtime called the Broad Street Bullies, hockey was played way different in the 60-70s than today.

I forgot how warm my stove makes the house. This morning when I got up the house was down to 63-64*.  Put some scraps of elm and a couple 2-3" pine splits in for a small fire. Well now most windows are open. 80-82* in the stove room and 76-78* in the rest of the house. Have 4 hours to cool it down before my wife gets home from work lol

• Like 1

I finally got around to that mystery tree today. I’m still not sure what it is. It definitely had a strong smell. I wouldn’t describe it as “minty” really. Kind of like almond maybe. Sniffing logs in the woods on a cold windy day is not really my area of expertise I’m afraid. LOL

7B8C462C-B49A-44FC-823B-A110259387E7.thumb.jpeg.c8911b959b2fd9b742d3ca27b2535b32.jpeg

Tamarack is def the literal expert on this....but I agree it looks like a Black birch/sweet birch.

Looks like black birch, but I'm no expert.  The aroma is also an indicator of black birch, the bark of which is used to make birch beer. 

41 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I finally got around to that mystery tree today. I’m still not sure what it is. It definitely had a strong smell. I wouldn’t describe it as “minty” really. Kind of like almond maybe. Sniffing logs in the woods on a cold windy day is not really my area of expertise I’m afraid. LOL

7B8C462C-B49A-44FC-823B-A110259387E7.thumb.jpeg.c8911b959b2fd9b742d3ca27b2535b32.jpeg

Looks birchy to me.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The almond aroma is diagnostic for cherry.  That size almost certainly means black cherry though I've seen pin cherry as big, though not often.  Pin cherry, a short-lived species sometimes called fire cherry (as its stored seed is released by fire), also doesn't have nearly as strongly colored heartwood as black cherry.  I'd be astonished to find black birch at your location/elevation, unless someone had planted it, and that species has a very strong wintergreen aroma.  The resemblance of black birch and black cherry is due to both bark color and the horizontal markings (lenticels) common to both.  Pin cherry also has dark bark and lenticels, and mountain ash (not related to true ash species) also has lenticels but lighter colored bark.  Its inner bark has the same bitter almond aroma as the cherries.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The almond aroma is diagnostic for cherry.  That size almost certainly means black cherry though I've seen pin cherry as big, though not often.  Pin cherry, a short-lived species sometimes called fire cherry (as its stored seed is released by fire), also doesn't have nearly as strongly colored heartwood as black cherry.  I'd be astonished to find black birch at your location/elevation, unless someone had planted it, and that species has a very strong wintergreen aroma.  The resemblance of black birch and black cherry is due to both bark color and the horizontal markings (lenticels) common to both.  Pin cherry also has dark bark and lenticels, and mountain ash (not related to true ash species) also has lenticels but lighter colored bark.  Its inner bark has the same bitter almond aroma as the cherries.

Pin cherry seems like a good fit. This is in the middle of the woods here so definitely not planted by someone. It has a very strong odor but definitely more nutty than minty. The bark is kinda papery though. Not as much as white birch but still there.  Can cherries have papery bark like that?

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Yea that would be a good size Pin. Is birch selective about elevation? There are a glade runs I love when skiing because it seems like nothing but yellow birch, gives the woods a real gold appearance when the sun hits it. All upper mountain (>2500'). 

14 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Yea that would be a good size Pin. Is birch selective about elevation? There are a glade runs I love when skiing because it seems like nothing but yellow birch, gives the woods a real gold appearance when the sun hits it. All upper mountain (>2500'). 

Yellow and white birch in tree size (not krummholz character) grow at higher elevations than the maples/oaks/ash/beech.  Mountain ash can be up there with the birches as well, and has an aroma similar to that of cherry.  White birch up high as a separate variety - don't think it's been called a distinct species but taxonomists argue such things all the time.  The "mountain white birch" has bark with some tan/brown along with the white, subtle but apparent when one knows what to look for.   Yellow birch is much more tolerant of shade than white, so will usually be more abundant in a fully stocked forest.  Places thinned for glade skiing usually don't look opened enough to encourage white birch regeneration. 

Pin cherry seems like a good fit. This is in the middle of the woods here so definitely not planted by someone. It has a very strong odor but definitely more nutty than minty. The bark is kinda papery though. Not as much as white birch but still there.  Can cherries have papery bark like that?

In thick woods pin cherry would be long dead before attaining that size - it's very intolerant of shade.  If that tree was in an opening, either cherry species is possible, and that thin outer bark is characteristic of young cherries, pin or black.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yellow and white birch in tree size (not krummholz character) grow at higher elevations than the maples/oaks/ash/beech.  Mountain ash can be up there with the birches as well, and has an aroma similar to that of cherry.  White birch up high as a separate variety - don't think it's been called a distinct species but taxonomists argue such things all the time.  The "mountain white birch" has bark with some tan/brown along with the white, subtle but apparent when one knows what to look for.   Yellow birch is much more tolerant of shade than white, so will usually be more abundant in a fully stocked forest.  Places thinned for glade skiing usually don't look opened enough to encourage white birch regeneration. 

In thick woods pin cherry would be long dead before attaining that size - it's very intolerant of shade.  If that tree was in an opening, either cherry species is possible, and that thin outer bark is characteristic of young cherries, pin or black.

It was growing off a rock outcropping into a bit of a clearing. Leaning pretty precariously too. Maybe that was Just enough sunlight. It was dead after all. Haha

21 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Its hard to tell pin cherry from black birch from pictures, the smell is the best way to tell, if I see it in person I can usually tell the difference, main giveaway is pin cherry weighs less than black birch, birch is a denser wood and much better firewood.

6 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Its hard to tell pin cherry from black birch from pictures, the smell is the best way to tell, if I see it in person I can usually tell the difference, main giveaway is pin cherry weighs less than black birch, birch is a denser wood and much better firewood.

This wood was light and easy to cut. 

I just cut up a big tree that fell during the TS back in Aug. I didn’t get it all though as my rented saw became dull. Not sure of what kind of tree it is but tree guy who wanted $1200 told me it wasn’t firewood material. So, what should I do with the logs and branches...Get/rent a wood chipper or have someone hawl it away?

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I just cut up a big tree that fell during the TS back in Aug. I didn’t get it all though as my rented saw became dull. Not sure of what kind of tree it is but tree guy who wanted $1200 told me it wasn’t firewood material. So, what should I do with the logs and branches...Get/rent a wood chipper or have someone hawl it away?

Have a pic? There are so many wood pirates on firewood forums down near you I would just post it on CL or FB and someone will probably come grab it.

• Like 1

Definitely a hardwood. If it isn't completely rotten and you already cut it up and don't use it someone will take most of it. There are a lot of central and western CT folks on the firewoodhoarder and hearth pages always posting about scrounges and pick ups. 

17 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Definitely a hardwood. If it isn't completely rotten and you already cut it up and don't use it someone will take most of it. There are a lot of central and western CT folks on the firewoodhoarder and hearth pages always posting about scrounges and pick ups. 

I cut most of it up, just couldn’t get the thicker lower portion. Hoping someone would do the rest and take it all away?

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I just cut up a big tree that fell during the TS back in Aug. I didn’t get it all though as my rented saw became dull. Not sure of what kind of tree it is but tree guy who wanted $1200 told me it wasn’t firewood material. 

The other thing is for many tree companies there is more money to be paid doing other jobs than all the work that it takes to deal with firewood. For $200-300, they have to cut, haul away, split, have a place to keep it for a year, then load and drop off somewhere else. I wouldn't bother with it either. Some of the bigger companies near us only process and sell 20-40 cords a year, and most the stuff sold is >20% moisture that was log length and just split in the spring.