• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

27 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Euro control got on board the fantasy storm train overnight:

giphy.gif

Euro had a little DGEX in it last night.  What is crazy is several individual ofl EPS ensemble mean support that look.  Some those individual(member 40) looks had 3-4 seasons worth of snow in one storm.  Definitely banter worthy!  

• Like 2

Well there is one good thing about the lack of snow in the South. We stopped having heart burn a couple weeks ago. How about some March Madness?

Lady Mocs (UT Chatt) are in the Women's Big Dance! Tonight I hope the men join them. Mocs have to win the SoCon Tourney to punch a ticket to the Big Dance. Game is 7p Eastern, 6p Central on ESPN+ but also the Main ESPN!

• Like 3

I've spent late winter watching the Mammoth Mountain Life YouTube channel. My goal is one winter there while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. Maybe even just one storm. 

The man who does the channel is a snow mover.  They got 14 feet of snow in the last week, even though this year is basically making him wealthy, he was he was over it as they got 3 feet over the weekend. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, John1122 said:

I've spent late winter watching the Mammoth Mountain Life YouTube channel. My goal is one winter there while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. Maybe even just one storm. 

The man who does the channel is a snow mover.  They got 14 feet of snow in the last week, even though this year is basically making him wealthy, he was he was over it as they got 3 feet over the weekend. 

John, what is your link on that?   Sounds cool.  Yeah, I agree.  I would like to see one of those big snows as well.  I was fortunate to see a Pacific gale last summer(no snow), but it was impressive.  Mammoth is near and dear to us for two reasons....snow and it is where Olympic distance runners train during summer(my family has runners...not Olympians!).  I was looking at Euro seaonsals...I am not sure all of that snow melts this summer there.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

John, what is your link on that?   Sounds cool.  Yeah, I agree.  I would like to see one of those big snows as well.  I was fortunate to see a Pacific gale last summer(no snow), but it was impressive.  Mammoth is near and dear to us for two reasons....snow and it is where Olympic distance runners train during summer(my family has runners...not Olympians!).  I was looking at Euro seaonsals...I am not sure all of that snow melts this summer there.  

This is the channel. He posts a video or two every day. Mammoth Lakes is right at 8000 feet elevation. They average 400 inches a year but he mentioned they are approaching 700 inches this year.

https://www.youtube.com/@plowbrother365

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John1122 said:

This is the channel. He posts a video or two every day. Mammoth Lakes is right at 8000 feet elevation. They average 400 inches a year but he mentioned they are approaching 700 inches this year.

https://www.youtube.com/@plowbrother365

I can't even imagine 700" of snow.  That is incredible.  I saw a ton of snow at Crater Lake last year.  They had a building buried to the second floor in early June.  What it took to get to that point is astounding.  Thanks for the link.  I will give it a look.

• Like 1

The next storm for Mammoth. But it keeps going after the weekend.

Mono County-
Including the city of Mammoth Lakes
137 PM PST Tue Mar 7 2023

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
SUNDAY MORNING ABOVE 6500 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible above 6500 feet. Total snow
  accumulations of up to 6 inches, except 2 to 5 feet above 7000
  feet possible. Winds could gust as high as 120 mph along the
  Sierra Crest.

* WHERE...Mono County.

* WHEN...From Thursday afternoon through Sunday morning.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
  commute. Very strong winds could cause extensive tree damage.

Thursday A 30 percent chance of snow after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. Increasing clouds and cold, with a high near 24. Wind chill values as low as -5. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
Thursday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 21. Very windy, with a southwest wind 30 to 35 mph increasing to 40 to 45 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 28 to 34 inches possible.
Friday Snow before 10am, then snow showers after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. High near 27. Very windy, with a southwest wind 40 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible.
Friday Night Snow showers before 10pm, then snow after 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy blowing dust before 10pm. Low around 22. Windy, with a west southwest wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.
Saturday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 24. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Saturday Night Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. West southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Sunday A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 25. Breezy, with a west southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Sunday Night A 40 percent chance of snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Monday Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 26. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Monday Night Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Tuesday Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 24. Breezy, with a west southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, John1122 said:

The next storm for Mammoth. But it keeps going after the weekend.

Mono County-
Including the city of Mammoth Lakes
137 PM PST Tue Mar 7 2023

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
SUNDAY MORNING ABOVE 6500 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible above 6500 feet. Total snow
  accumulations of up to 6 inches, except 2 to 5 feet above 7000
  feet possible. Winds could gust as high as 120 mph along the
  Sierra Crest.

* WHERE...Mono County.

* WHEN...From Thursday afternoon through Sunday morning.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
  commute. Very strong winds could cause extensive tree damage.

Thursday A 30 percent chance of snow after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. Increasing clouds and cold, with a high near 24. Wind chill values as low as -5. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
Thursday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 21. Very windy, with a southwest wind 30 to 35 mph increasing to 40 to 45 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 28 to 34 inches possible.
Friday Snow before 10am, then snow showers after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. High near 27. Very windy, with a southwest wind 40 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible.
Friday Night Snow showers before 10pm, then snow after 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy blowing dust before 10pm. Low around 22. Windy, with a west southwest wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.
Saturday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 24. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Saturday Night Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. West southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Sunday A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 25. Breezy, with a west southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Sunday Night A 40 percent chance of snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Monday Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 26. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Monday Night Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Tuesday Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 24. Breezy, with a west southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

John, I always thought Nino winters were bigger for Mammoth(transition there has occurred it appears).  I am not sure all of that snow melts this summer.  If they get a big Nino winter(looks likely) next season, they could end-up w/ a seasonal snowpack that stick around for a couple of seasons.  At the very least, the snow pack will likely sticks around until August or September.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

John, I always thought Nino winters were bigger for Mammoth(transition there has occurred it appears).  I am not sure all of that snow melts this summer.  If they get a big Nino winter(looks likely) next season, they could end-up w/ a seasonal snowpack that stick around for a couple of seasons.  At the very least, the snow pack will likely sticks around until August or September.  

It's just been non-stop all winter for them. Another channel I found last night, the guy lives on Mammoth Mountain just past the resort. He's had over 60 feet this winter and is looking at 5 to 7 feet through Friday. 

It's compacted but the snow is even to a little above the rail on his back deck, which is 24 feet off the ground. He's worried that he's going to be unable to remove snow from his deck after this week because it will be over the height of the rail. 

It's like driving around in narrow mazes with the 20+ foot snow banks on the sides of the road. 

• Like 2

I haven't been following the tropics in the southern hemisphere, but it looks like we now have a new record for the longest cyclone in the world. This cyclone formed on Feb 6th, northwest of Australia, trekked across the Indian ocean, plowed into Madagascar, made landfall in Mozambique, then did a u-turn back into open waters and headed back toward Madagascar, and is now heading back toward Mozambique.  https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/08/africa/cyclone-freddy-mozambique-record-storm-climate-intl/index.html

• Like 4

The forecast for 10000 feet near Mammoth Ski Resort, which summits at over 11000 feet. The snow, heavy at times, continues through next Tuesday after this forecast period ends. The wild thing is, they get this weather but somehow don't get a blizzard warning.

Thursday Snow showers, mainly after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 27. Wind chill values as low as -7. Windy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 25 mph increasing to 25 to 30 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible.
Thursday Night Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 26. Wind chill values as low as 6. Very windy, with a south southwest wind 35 to 40 mph increasing to 40 to 45 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 40 to 46 inches possible.
Friday Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. High near 29. Wind chill values as low as 7. Very windy, with a southwest wind 45 to 50 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.
Friday Night Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy blowing dust before 10pm. Low around 22. Very windy, with a southwest wind 45 to 50 mph decreasing to 35 to 40 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 21 to 27 inches possible.
Saturday Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. High near 26. Windy, with a southwest wind around 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.
Saturday Night Snow showers, mainly before 4am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 21. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

• Like 3

Middle Finger is also the NCAA selection committee to Kansas. West? Even after Houston lost. Really? Too lazy to use contingency bracket!

So, that puts Kansas in a possible game with UCLA, in Las Vegas. No other 1-seed is so far from home. Midwest would have been KCMO which is basically a home game, but KU deserves it. 

Well Jax hopefully KCMO will welcome Auburn for some Regional action. Tennesse and Kentucky will have to travel a bit. Alabama has good locations but not an easy bracket.

TA&M 7-seed is the other middle finger. Penn State got hosed there too 10-seed, so really a dual screw job. Both teams are basically playing a 4-seed first round. SMH

• Like 2

Middle Finger is also the NCAA selection committee to Kansas. West? Even after Houston lost. Really? Too lazy to use contingency bracket!
So, that puts Kansas in a possible game with UCLA, in Las Vegas. No other 1-seed is so far from home. Midwest would have been KCMO which is basically a home game, but KU deserves it. 

Well Jax hopefully KCMO will welcome Auburn for some Regional action. Tennesse and Kentucky will have to travel a bit. Alabama has good locations but not an easy bracket.
TA&M 7-seed is the other middle finger. Penn State got hosed there too 10-seed, so really a dual screw job. Both teams are basically playing a 4-seed first round. SMH

I hope Tennessee does well but I’m not feeling it unfortunately. This team had no identity on offense before ZZ went out. Just gotta hope we can get the ball up court and we are lighting the 3 ball up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

TA&M 7-seed is the other middle finger. Penn State got hosed there to 10-seed, so really a dual screw job. Both teams are basically playing a 4-seed first round. SMH

I was shocked that Houston lost & still got the other #1 seed.  My wife a Duke fan is feeling it.  I told her that their bracket is brutal.  I actually feel pretty good about my TIDE & their bracket.  I could see them & Duke in final 8. Ugh. I hate Duke.  Yes my wife knows.  UCLA is scary.  I thought they deserved the other #1.  Realistically any team could win it this year.  Don’t hate me too much. Roll Tide! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I hope Tennessee does well but I’m not feeling it unfortunately. This team had no identity on offense before ZZ went out. Just gotta hope we can get the ball up court and we are lighting the 3 ball up.

Can I say I am pulling for UT to beat Duke!  Shhhh don’t tell my wife!  To cold to sleep outside in dog house! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

@Holston_River_Rambler, you kick around in Frozen Head.  How tough is that course?

I don't know about the actual course they run (and I think it changes every year a little), but I've gotten some pretty rough miles in there. Last July:

V1YFAdS.png

AQLWFGL.png

And that was all ON trails, lol and it was rough on me.  They go off trail, from what I've heard, maybe 40% of the course. They have to climb a power line cut usually too, they call it rat jaw. Neither one of the elevation profiles above are the really steep sections (North Bird Mt and Chimney Tops). Supposedly each Barkley loop is around 26 miles and you have to do 5 in under 60 hours while finding pages from random books Lazarus hides throughout the park. 

If you've never seen the documentary on the race, I recommend it:

http://barkleymovie.com/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I don't know about the actual course they run (and I think it changes every year a little), but I've gotten some pretty rough miles in there. Last July:

V1YFAdS.png

AQLWFGL.png

And that was all ON trails, lol and it was rough on me.  They go off trail, from what I've heard, maybe 40% of the course. They have to climb a power line cut usually too, they call it rat jaw. Neither one of the elevation profiles above are the really steep sections (North Bird Mt and Chimney Tops). Supposedly each Barkley loop is around 26 miles and you have to do 5 in under 60 hours while finding pages from random books Lazarus hides throughout the park. 

If you've never seen the documentary on the race, I recommend it:

http://barkleymovie.com/

4400’ elevation gain...oof!

• Like 1