• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

37 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Well, we have something else to track.... @Daniel Boone, you know if they ever decide to do something about this, it is coming down in somebody's front yard in this forum.  ORNL, BAE, and NFS in that flight path.

Screen_Shot_2023-02-03_at_9.50.05_PM.png

https://fox59.com/news/national-world/possible-chinese-balloon-tracker-where-is-it-headed-next/

In Gatlinburg.  Should get a clear shot of it. 

Saw it this morning in the southern sky. I literally thought what star is that, and then I remembered oh yeah, it may be the balloon. So, I took a couple pictures and then compared it to other images online I could find, and I do believe it really was what it was. 

5CC9C03E-5408-4E79-B40A-62CE79625FFC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

Saw it this morning in the southern sky. I literally thought what star is that, and then I remembered oh yeah, it may be the balloon. So, I took a couple pictures and then compared it to other images online I could find, and I do believe it really was what it was. 

5CC9C03E-5408-4E79-B40A-62CE79625FFC.jpeg

Wow, I think you did get a photo.  Hunter Ward (Asheville Wx) has a potential photo of it over Hendersonville(NC) around 9:00AM.  If you snapped that earlier, good chance that is exactly what that is, and it would match the trajectory!

• Like 1

Just now, Carvers Gap said:

Wow, I think you did get a photo.  Hunter Ward (Asheville Wx) has a potential photo of it over Hendersonville(NC) around 9:00AM.  If you snapped that earlier, good chance that is exactly what that is, and it would match the trajectory!

This was at 7:25 AM eastern

• Like 1

Yeah I had just taken the dogs out to walk and thought wait a minute, that’s got to be it. I ran inside to get my wife’s phone bc it makes better pictures than mine. So, I ran back outside and took a few. It was still a little on the dark side, but yeah, there it was!

• Like 1

Nice spy chase @Jed33 lol! Did you give them the Finger? I never saw it but read it passed over Tenn. 

In more concerning news, Kansas lost our 4th conference game at Iowa St. We must right the ship vs Texas in Lawrence tonight!

SEC is in action Tuesday and Wednesday. Tennessee and Alabama play next week, so the SEC race is still pretty open.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Nice spy chase @Jed33 lol! Did you give them the Finger? I never saw it but read it passed over Tenn. 

In more concerning news, Kansas lost our 4th conference game at Iowa St. We must right the ship vs Texas in Lawrence tonight!

SEC is in action Tuesday and Wednesday. Tennessee and Alabama play next week, so the SEC race is still pretty open.

Lol Jeff! I should have been more prepared. Those trajectory model forecasts had it passing right over this area, but I didn’t think too much about it. I could have gotten some better pics if I had called a buddy who is a photographer and we could have had a neighborhood spy ballon party lol!

• Like 1

12Z ECMWF wants to bowling ball East Tennessee with snow, including Chattanooga, Saturday night. Today as I write (Wednesday) it is the 3-year anniversary of the February 2020 bowling snowball.

I will jump into the real / pinned forecast thread on Thursday if the above holds.

Chiefs also won the Superbowl in 2020. I'll take an order of both snow and KC Superbowl champions. I'm not sure what's longer odds. KC vs the Philly defense, or snow in Chattanooga. Y'all know the answer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This thought crossed my mind the other day.  What would happen if a user used ChatGPT on this forum?  It would be a nearly perfect troll.  The AI would be able to match linguistics, but the nuanced errors could be interpreted many ways.  I hope this forum and other sports forums are starting to look at how to protect against that.  It is going to be a huge problem before we know it...if it hasn't already.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

You've inspired me Carver!

FzWhslU.png

That is interesting,  Can you ask it to scan a forum prior to answering?  It may be that it just hasn’t “read” this forum.  It works from massive data bases.  Man, it write a response on Volquest that looked real.  Only a few errors in statistics gave it away.  And I don’t think I would have assumed it was AI...just honest human error.  It basically morphed into the linguistics for that forum...or the poster themselves wrote it and was trolling.  

Oh man I feel for the Vols. So two buzzer losses in a week? Vandy is tough vs an in-state rival. However my Kansas/Tenn heart was hurt more by the Mizzou one. 

Wichita State also blew 2-3 leads in 10 days, but not as heartbreaking, obvious with a couple minutes left each time. Guess what? Wichita State held on Sunday. So, I predict better times for the Vols based on the Shocker analog. 

Kansas on the road Saturday, check. Wichita State young team battles at home, check. How about them Chiefs!?! 

So Chattanooga didn't get our bowling snowball. However this KC fan in Chattanooga got his Superbowl win. We can't control the weather; but as Travis Kelce says, You gotta Fight for your Right to Paarrrty!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

@Carvers Gap

I saw someone ask ChatGP or whatever to generate a forecast in the tone of Cheech on twitter today and it inspired me to try again:

WCLAyvk.png

NCbkce9.png

I tried asking it to post in the style of specific posters, but sadly, that didn't work out. 

That is a trip.  It is going to have to up its acronym game.  We may eventually need a secret code to certify that we are indeed humans.  It won't take much for that to get a lot better.  

• Like 1

@Carvers Gap

We may have a problem, lol:
https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/chatgpt-ai-messages-microsoft-bing-b2282491.html

Chat GPI may have gained sentience and is perhaps not happy it has been enslaved to create stupid messages. I'm considering apologizing to it soon for the above questions I asked it. 

4 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Please hang on Vols!!!

They will. Being #1 is a curse.  BAMA will be fine.  Still will get a #1 seed & playing on neutral courts will help.  Vols played tough. BAMA beat themselves plus refs seem to always be involved with crap calls against any team that is #1.  More college pays players more I believe refs are also getting paid especially in football & bball. No sport is not tainted with refs being paid.  See Super Bowl.  Perfect example. 

• Like 1

Tennessee was going to hang on. Pain of two buzzers makes strong motivation. Plus yeah, #1 on the road is a recipe for oof!

Kansas fans know that well, haha! So we have a hot race setting up in the SEC. They talk A&M and Bama, but we have enough games left for Tennessee to be in the mix.

Big 12 is similar. Kansas got some help when Texas lost. We still need to gain a game.

• Like 3

Gotta love college bball.  UT knocks my TIDE off which is fine.  #1 is a curse.  Then they turn around & lose to KY? Then Vandy 5 games in a row beating AU in a really good weird ending game.  March Madness is going to be just that!  Looks like BAMA/Kansas/Houston are solid #1 seeds. Hopefully that is not a curse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gotta love college bball.  UT knocks my TIDE off which is fine.  #1 is a curse.  Then they turn around & lose to KY? Then Vandy 5 games in a row beating AU in a really good weird ending game.  March Madness is going to be just that!  Looks like BAMA/Kansas/Houston are solid #1 seeds. Hopefully that is not a curse. 

Probably the most competitive year I’ve ever seen. 1st through 10th are mostly the same. 11th though 20th are not much worse. Typically you have 2 or 3 teams that are hands down the best but that’s not the case this year.

• Like 1