• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

Not to conjure up bad memories for some on this forum but Happy 20th Anniversary of the January 16, 2003 event. Hard to believe it's been that long. I don't know if there's a poll question on here...but for middle TN, would you take Winter Storm Jonas, any snow from 2010/2011 or the 2003 storm? As much as I like surprises, give me Jonas all day long. I think we as a metro were able to apply lessons learned from '03 and '11 and fared much better in '16.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *Flash* said:

Not to conjure up bad memories for some on this forum but Happy 20th Anniversary of the January 16, 2003 event. Hard to believe it's been that long. I don't know if there's a poll question on here...but for middle TN, would you take Winter Storm Jonas, any snow from 2010/2011 or the 2003 storm? As much as I like surprises, give me Jonas all day long. I think we as a metro were able to apply lessons learned from '03 and '11 and fared much better in '16.

That one knocked my power out for four days and it was extremely cold in its wake. Another event followed a few days later here. 

Hey guys, I’ve been keeping up with everything back home, but I’m the meantime, we’ve been skiing at Big Sky Montana and visited Yellowstone today. I’ve got so many pictures I don’t know where to start. I guess I’ll start with a pic of Lone Mtn at the base at Big Sky. The base is around 50” here and we’ve picked up about 5” or so of new snow since we’ve been here. On the way to Yellowstone this AM, the car temp bottomed out at -14F and that is just a random regular day for them. The highest temp I’ve seen since we’ve been here was 28 on Friday when we landed! Pretty much everywhere you go, there is at least 2-3ft on the ground and in W Yellowstone, more like 4-5ft!

7DE4573F-275B-49A7-A257-EF4F703A27D2.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jed33 said:

One more pic for the evening a random stop to watch Bison trying to graze what little food they could get through the snow!

7679FADC-B79C-4807-B765-6ED512FBB7C2.jpeg

That sure looks like the Madison River.  Man, I love Yellowstone.  We went one spring, and they had received like 4-5' in advance of our arrival.  They had snow in their yards piled to the rooftops.  We love West Yell.  I have never been to Big Sky but I have driven by it 1,000x I think while traveling from Bozeman to the Park to fish.  The Gallatin Valley...I am not sure if there is one more amazing.  What a great experience to see that region during winter, and they have been HAMMERED by snow this winter.  My favorite area is the Madison below Raynolds Pass Bridge.

• Like 1

Anyone having issues with the Tapatalk app?  For the last day it won’t open any of the forums/pages.  I have updated the app and restarted my phone…..but still the the spinning circle-arrow of impatience persists.

I’m always having issues with it. I wish AW had a legit app.

• Like 1

Lol MRX…Updated to adjust pops and trends based on radar, only to say “precipitation is moving out a bit faster than forecasted, but only barely.” Lol which one is it? Is it moving out fast enough to warrant an update to make something out of it, or not. SMH…Does this go along the same lines as the snowfall maps that were mentioned earlier in this thread? Are they so afraid of being wrong, lol. Anyway, I just thought it was kind of amusing wordage.

9B9E7072-709F-4FB8-AAFE-34A6A6EB2225.jpeg

• Like 2

I've not been on the forum as much as I'd like due to mainly kids activities. Performing arts is steady through the year. Nobody told me basketball is 3X as busy as track or cross country, lol!

@Holston_River_Rambler good to know things are better with family. I guess health or accident, but I don't find the OP. Regardless, the power of prayer does not require details. 

On lighter topics, SEC vs Big 12 challenge is this weekend! I have to pick Auburn and Alabama on the road. Auburn will bounce back from Wed. WV is a tough venue, but their press is weak this year. Tennessee will win at home, but Texas is tough. TX Tech vs LSU is and should be relegated to ESPNU, lol.

Now for my Big 12 picks. TCU and Iowa State are capable of road wins, but it depends on which Miss State and Mizzou show up. K-State, Oklahoma State, and Baylor should win at home.

Kansas is better than Kentucky this year, but a road game is probably not where Kansas gets back on track. Coach Cal often says Kentucky plays better on the road. Well, they'll bring that intensity to home court between blue bloods. I'll go Kentucky W and be pleasantly surprised if Kansas snaps a 3-game losing streak at Rupp Arena. 

None of the above are recommendations, lol. At any rate, I show a 5-5 tie in the SEC Big 12 Challenge 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it may not be snowing here, but take a look at the Northern Rockies. Since we just got back last week from skiing and snowmobiling out there, it’s still on my mind. I’ve been following it more than usual. Anyway, they have had over 3ft of new “cold smoke” as they say in Montana in the last couple days! Big Sky reports 19in in the last 24hrs this AM! That, and an arctic front moving through today will send them well below zero this afternoon and tonight and keep it that way for several days. I guess I will live vicariously through them, while we see if this winter will quit teasing us and finally deliver something. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

Well, it may not be snowing here, but take a look at the Northern Rockies. Since we just got back last week from skiing and snowmobiling out there, it’s still on my mind. I’ve been following it more than usual. Anyway, they have had over 3ft of new “cold smoke” as they say in Montana in the last couple days! Big Sky reports 19in in the last 24hrs this AM! That, and an arctic front moving through today will send them well below zero this afternoon and tonight and keep it that way for several days. I guess I will live vicariously through them, while we see if this winter will quit teasing us and finally deliver something. 

Great to hear!  Should be a great water year for fishing.  Yeah, the Salt Range has a multi-day event going on.  AT 7000', there are  temperature issues, it is just getting precip to those locals.

• Like 1

I've not been on the forum as much as I'd like due to mainly kids activities. Performing arts is steady through the year. Nobody told me basketball is 3X as busy as track or cross country, lol!
[mention=16126]Holston_River_Rambler[/mention] good to know things are better with family. I guess health or accident, but I don't find the OP. Regardless, the power of prayer does not require details. 
On lighter topics, SEC vs Big 12 challenge is this weekend! I have to pick Auburn and Alabama on the road. Auburn will bounce back from Wed. WV is a tough venue, but their press is weak this year. Tennessee will win at home, but Texas is tough. TX Tech vs LSU is and should be relegated to ESPNU, lol.

Now for my Big 12 picks. TCU and Iowa State are capable of road wins, but it depends on which Miss State and Mizzou show up. K-State, Oklahoma State, and Baylor should win at home.
Kansas is better than Kentucky this year, but a road game is probably not where Kansas gets back on track. Coach Cal often says Kentucky plays better on the road. Well, they'll bring that intensity to home court between blue bloods. I'll go Kentucky W and be pleasantly surprised if Kansas snaps a 3-game losing streak at Rupp Arena. 
None of the above are recommendations, lol. At any rate, I show a 5-5 tie in the SEC Big 12 Challenge 2023.

Bama is getting rolled today