• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

Now that the first big threat of the season is here, the social media "weathermen" are posting clown maps all over the place to get more likes and shares.  On top of that, the general public has a more favorable view of these guys than they do real meteorologists - mainly because these guys start posting 10 day snow maps and the real Mets don't talk totals until 96 hours or less from the event.
Am I the only one that really gets annoyed with these guys? 

All day long!!! And they have to use ALL CAPS to underscore the devastation that will face our cities!!
  • Like 2

Now that the first big threat of the season is here, the social media "weathermen" are posting clown maps all over the place to get more likes and shares.  On top of that, the general public has a more favorable view of these guys than they do real meteorologists - mainly because these guys start posting 10 day snow maps and the real Mets don't talk totals until 96 hours or less from the event.
Am I the only one that really gets annoyed with these guys? 

A friend of mine sent me this….lol, SMH

ddbb30f07c9dca9166213881662418dc.jpeg
28fecf882093ac529bdf13d5f7c9127b.jpeg

• Haha 1

I've seen that post showing the 12z gfs snowfall map from that person shared at least 25 times on social media today. It wears me out. The worse part, he claimed all models were showing it then argued with the few people who told him how futile it was to even share that map on social media with people who don't understand its context. 

• Like 1

Ken Weathers with WATE Knoxville has a good post passively addressing all the Facebook weather forecasters. Here’s a graphic he posted along with his comment90ace3ce8143b63728b54f6d7065f22b.jpg

I agree with that… but I remember a really tacky tweet he made after the Christmas snow giving themselves an “A+” on their snow forecast when they were literally 3-5” off of their forecast. They said the wave that rode up the cold front “came out of nowhere” and that’s why their forecast missed on the snow. Lol… the wave riding the front was the loan snowmaker that was modeled days before the event.

3 hours ago, EastTNWeatherAdmirer said:

Is it just me or does it seem like the -NAO has done more harm that good this year so far? I may be 18 years old but I’m old enough to remember the claim so many people say that a -NAO is good for the Mid-Atlantic and Eastern Seaboard. It seems like the NAO, or at least the variation of it this year, has been detrimental for us in the South and East. The massive low 500 miles ESE of Nova Scotia caused by the negative NAO has caused buckling in the jet further back west, over us, with only mediocre heights and a subtle upper ridge nudging and grudging it’s way over us again and again. Sure, Europe has definitely seen the cold and snow and it might just be the unfavorable Pacific; but, for us here in the East this massive -NAO has done nothing but churn higher 500 mb heights up into it along the Eastern Seaboard and that looks to be the case with the 22/23 system with basically a repeat of Dec 15 in the East, just colder this time. You might think I’m a clown(emoji here) but what the **** is wrong with this -NAO?

I'm with you on this NAO stuff. I've yet to see one that helped much. Maybe that'll change when we get the Magical Moderate maybe Modoki El Nino next year. I think the last time an NAO did much was 2009 - 10? I've only participated on the weather boards for a few years now, but before that when I started people were always looking for them. Apparently they've been very rare over the past decade or so, so maybe 09-10 worked so well that after that it was all people could think of? If everything has to be perfect with them, are really just chasing unicorns like 9-10 and 95-96? 

Some of y'all are a lot older than me though, so maybe you remember better NAO times. Maybe the AMO has to flip for them to really help? 

• Like 1

NAO is a much bigger signal for cold in January and February.  It is associated w/ many historical cold outbreaks and Kocin storms.  Right now we are fighting Nina climatology and a rising QBO(solar as well).  One teleconnection by itself is rarely a silver bullet. One need to look no further than the cold shot to see the effects of a -NAO.  The Nina is a dry pattern for E TN often - not always.  The dry pattern is the problem.  If we had an active STJ in conjunction w/ the current NAO....we would need a snow blower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I'm with you on this NAO stuff. I've yet to see one that helped much. Maybe that'll change when we get the Magical Moderate maybe Modoki El Nino next year. I think the last time an NAO did much was 2009 - 10? I've only participated on the weather boards for a few years now, but before that when I started people were always looking for them. Apparently they've been very rare over the past decade or so, so maybe 09-10 worked so well that after that it was all people could think of? If everything has to be perfect with them, are really just chasing unicorns like 9-10 and 95-96? 

Some of y'all are a lot older than me though, so maybe you remember better NAO times. Maybe the AMO has to flip for them to really help? 

It does seem to of hurt more than help lately. 10-11 it played a big role in that Nina being cold/ snowy. Year before last it did seem to help some. I think alot of the problem is where we are not getting the usual 50-50 Low with it. If you add it to the equation, these systems cutting would go so far only to be shunted SE even when they come in too far into the West . Also, without that 50-50 the block can connect with the SER, as has been the case quite often in recent years.

The culprit could be the SST's off Newfoundland not being conducive for LP there. 

Belated merry Christmas! We were out of town after being super busy. Chattanooga did better with snow Monday evening than with the Arctic front, according to neighbors. We enjoyed the Monday snow showers welcome home.

Today we have Kansas vs some pigs who can’t spell Kansas in the Liberty Bowl. Tennessee basketball is going to Ole Miss looking to prove something on the road after Arizona. I’ll take the Vols all day even Away.

Looking ahead I like Tennessee football in the Orange Bowl. Clemson is still good, but Tennessee has just. So. Much. Offense. That’s a Vols win!