• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

Not sure if this article has ever been posted here, but it's an interesting list. Look at #1 :(

I'd say the list is skewed a bit since the winters in the 70's were probably the snowiest on record by average for most of the area, but still is interesting to see what areas have received more or less snow since that decade.

https://stacker.com/stories/4020/how-snowfall-levels-have-changed-across-100-us-cities

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Not sure if this article has ever been posted here, but it's an interesting list. Look at #1 :(

I'd say the list is skewed a bit since the winters in the 70's were probably the snowiest on record by average for most of the area, but still is interesting to see what areas have received more or less snow since that decade.

https://stacker.com/stories/4020/how-snowfall-levels-have-changed-across-100-us-cities

Rebuttal to the last sentence of the Knoxville entry:  "having less snow might seem nice and certainly be convenient, but it represents a gradual decline in regional climate that will have a ripple effect on what grows and what survives."

We get plenty of cold rain to make up the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shocker0 said:

I'm pretty firmly convinced Knoxville's main problem is the recording of snowfall rather than that big of a reduction in the snowfall. It's especially problematic near the airport, which is the warmest/least snowy area in any direction from the airport due to the heat island effect.  However, there's far too frequently missing data, even now, to get an accurate official average imo.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John1122 said:

I'm pretty firmly convinced Knoxville's main problem is the recording of snowfall rather than that big of a reduction in the snowfall. It's especially problematic near the airport, which is the warmest/least snowy area in any direction from the airport due to the heat island effect.  However, there's far too frequently missing data, even now, to get an accurate official average imo.

TRI's snowfall data is completely and totally corrupted.  

• Like 2

Lee County Data is corrupted due to the Pennington gap Site. Official NWS Site and Equipment set up not inline with NWS standards. Metal building 10 ft from Thermohydro Sensor. 

Site situated about 75-100 yards from Powell River only about 10 ft above bank level. 

It is within the Pennington gap Sewer Plant and manned by plant personnel.

The Pennington Station was out of circuit up until a year or so ago due to erroneous data being reported from the previous site 1 m. South of Pennington at the Water Plant on the banks of Powell River and manned by plant employees.

There was a time accurate Data was recorded from Pennington gap. WSWV Radio recorded data for about 12 years up until mid 90's, with staff Meteorologist Don Tooley doing the honors there .    Long time official Observer Ernest Frye was prior to that beginning around 1950. Both those locations were more reflective of the Pennington gap area.

If you want Accurate Forecasts and Model Data, you need accurate, well placed Stations with trustworthy, knowledgeable Observers.

• Thanks 1

I forgot to comment on the big Tennessee win! Vols avenged the Rupp ruckus. When Tennessee plays with energy the defense creates offense. We'll see how things go into March.

As of Arks, yeah the extended range looks wet. Most of it is above freezing in contrast to the ice crap progged a couple days ago.

Oh the Knoxville article. Regardless of which side one is on the climate debate (another Forum section) a warmer climate with longer growing season is considered beneficial to humanity thanks to food production. Nets drought impacts with longer growing season where moisture is adequate. 

• Like 1

Antediluvian Flood Watch
Podunk Weather Service Mossy Grove
757 AM EST Fri Feb 18 2022

...The Podunk National Weather Service in Mossy Grove has issued an Antediluvian Flood
watch for the following areas...

TN Valley watersheds

For the TN Valley watersheds ...including, but not limited to: Lancing, Nod, Deer Lodge, Frog Level,
Carter's Valley, Oneida, Boring Chapel, Riverfront Seafood, Boozy Creek, Blackwater, Melungia, Knoxville, elevated river levels are
forecast.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Stay tuned to further developments by checking TN Valley Banter often, look to your local augur,
entrail reader, or even Raven Radio for further information.

The next statement will be issued no later than 24 hours after the next bonkers GFS run.

&&

TN065-182245-
/O.NEW.KTYS.FL.Y.0027.220218T1037Z-220223T0018Z/

...ANTEDILUVIAN FLOOD watch IN EFFECT FROM EARLY THIS MORNING THRU WEDNESDAY PM

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is shown on GFS runs

* WHERE...TN Valley watershed

* WHEN...From early this morning to Wednesday PM

* IMPACTS...At 14.0 inches of rain the 0z GFS done went there.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...

Ark building prep is RECOMMENDED, but not MANDATORY at this time...

DTiwkGj.png

• Haha 4

On 2/18/2022 at 7:06 AM, Holston_River_Rambler said:
Antediluvian Flood Watch
Podunk Weather Service Mossy Grove

...The Podunk National Weather Service in Mossy Grove has issued an Antediluvian Flood
watch for the following areas...

TN Valley watersheds

For the TN Valley watersheds ...including, but not limited to: Lancing, Nod, Deer Lodge, Frog Level,
Carter's Valley, Oneida, Boring Chapel, Riverfront Seafood, Boozy Creek, Blackwater, Melungia, Knoxville, elevated river levels are
forecast.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Stay tuned to further developments by checking TN Valley Banter often, look to your local augur,
entrail reader, or even Raven Radio for further information.

The next statement will be issued no later than 24 hours after the next bonkers GFS run.

&&

TN065-182245-
/O.NEW.KTYS.FL.Y.0027.220218T1037Z-220223T0018Z/

...ANTEDILUVIAN FLOOD watch IN EFFECT FROM EARLY THIS MORNING THRU WEDNESDAY PM

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is shown on GFS runs

* WHERE...TN Valley watershed

* WHEN...From early this morning to Wednesday PM

* IMPACTS...At 14.0 inches of rain the 0z GFS done went there.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...

Ark building prep is RECOMMENDED, but not MANDATORY at this time...

DTiwkGj.png

That is funny but that much rain will be very problematic for the oprymills along with many other areas. As for my ark.  Not sure how big I can build it in the time given.  Might have to leave some animals off.  Snakes & skunks will be first to be cut.  Thanks mossy for the update.

• Like 3

Auburn lost again,i'm still not convinced they are the team to beat in the SEC.Problem with Auburn is they don't have a great PG.There PG's are not consistent.,make stupid passes and to me anyways are like ball hawks going to the basket.Fun team to watch for sure,but elite enough to win it all?I dont think they are unless Pearl can fix them.

I still think if Ky can heal there troops.They might go further in the tourney than any SEC team right now.Calipari always brings out his best when it counts.JMO

4 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Michigan should be disqualified from the Big Dance. 

My annoyance (among many...ha!) is that it's being reported that he's suspended for the "rest of the season"!!!!   What's being overlooked by many is it's just for the REGULAR season.....so a few more weeks.  Comes time for post-season........he's baaaaaaaack!!!!   

My take is he should be suspended for the rest of the season....no matter how long it is.  

• Like 1

My Feb. 23 post above was my last peacetime post. I opined in severe wx yesterday but my attention has been elsewhere. 

We need the Europe warm 11-15 day forecast to carry forward into the 6-10 day. It will provide policy makers more leeway to strengthen sanctions against Russia even further. No politics rule is not violated hoping for a mild forecast in Europe. It's weather!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, John1122 said:

11 inches of March snow and a trip to the SEC Championship game, if we win tomorrow that will be the bigger surprise. 

Man, it has been a great weekend!!!!!  No lead felt safe today, but they pulled it off.  SEC Champs!!!!  I was a youngster last time they did this!

• Like 2