• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

Pretty sure that gonzo run promoted a statement from the MRX Facebook page about crazy model snow outputs. 

It's gone on the 6z, interesting that it actually started D8/9 on the 0z. Huge snow events are very possible in November. November and March are single storm record holders for many in the valley region.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Pretty sure that gonzo run promoted a statement from the MRX Facebook page about crazy model snow outputs. 

It's gone on the 6z, interesting that it actually started D8/9 on the 0z. Huge snow events are very possible in November. November and March are single storm record holders for many in the valley region.  

Some nice E TN snowfall bitterness in the comments on that post too, lol! 

Reacting to bears is a good question. Smoky Mountain NP (and other national and state parks) has guidelines posted. Here is my not so complete memory.

1. Walk away from the bear (obviously). Don't run though. It'll go better just walking. If it's in your path, then a long detour is required.

2. If it charges (unlikely unless mama bear defends cubs) then try to become bigger with tree branches or anything to scare it. Bang pots and pans if you have camping gear. 

3. Like all animals (sharks snakes etc) it's more scared of us than we are them. Walking away almost always works.

We've seen bears a few times and have been able to just walk away back toward from where we came. In one case it was 90 degrees to our side, but far from the trail. We were quick, but kept it to a walk back to the car.

Saw coyotes close to town in Chickamauga Battlefield. They crossed the trail. We decided to cut short the excursion. They either never saw us or did not care about us.

We have also seen small sharks while snorkeling. We simply swam the other way and it was uneventful. Glad we don't look much like fish!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Wow @John1122 you are braver than me. I try for the stealth exit, but honestly it probably sees me.

So you skip right to the be loud phase? I figure any common sense move promotes survival.

If you can only remember one bear rule, just don't F* with mamabear or her cubs!

At the point I'm yelling and clapping, they've already seen me. It's rare to come across one here that doesn't immediately head for the hills as soon as they see/smell a human. They are as skittish as wild deer here. I'd guess I'm within a 100 yards or so of them often, especially in summer when I can't see very far, and I never know they are there. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 3:29 PM, nrgjeff said:

Wow @John1122 you are braver than me. I try for the stealth exit, but honestly it probably sees me.

So you skip right to the be loud phase? I figure any common sense move promotes survival.

If you can only remember one bear rule, just don't F* with mamabear or her cubs!

True, lol.  I will offer up a second rule.  You don't have to be the fastest, but you sure better not be the slowest..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2021 at 3:29 PM, nrgjeff said:

What a perfect segue into another episode of Story Time with the Old Surveyor. ;) 

About a dozen years ago I was behind a surveying instrument as we did a topographical survey in the Bays Mountain area of Kingsport. It was late spring and the weather had turned nice, though the leaves were barely budding out. I was on a slope of about 30 degrees or so. Focused on the rodmen, I had this strange sensation that I was being watched. After a moment I looked to my right (down slope). About 75 yards away, with her back up against an old hickory stump was a goodly sized black bear. She was sitting on her haunches and her eyes were locked on me. That was pretty unnerving...but what really got my heart racing were the two cubs playing at her feet! Needless to say, the surveying instrument was left behind as everyone made a quick exit until she and her youngin's made a leisurely departure. 

I've had encounters with lots of wildlife during 30 years of surveying, but that one really got my attention. 

• Like 3

Tennessee vs Villanova Saturday! Oh yeah college basketball season is rolling. Kansas looks good too, but our next significant game is a couple weeks away. So this weekend it's go Vols!

@Mr. Kevin did you feel the Arkansas tremblor on Thursday? 

All, who woke up for the lunar eclipse this morning? I'd intended to say something about it ahead of time, like shocker clear skies for an astronomical event here! Long duration deep partial lunar eclipse extended the lunar version of the diamond ring. It was truly gorgeous! 

Eclipses never get old. We are now inside 2.5 years to the next jaw dropping, awe inspiring, total solar eclipse. Gonna be a longer drive but I'll be there!

On 11/20/2021 at 2:20 PM, John1122 said:

Tennessee would have to work hard to play any worse than they are today. Villanova is good but Tennessee is just terrible. 

I told a buddy, they won’t shoot as bad as they did against Villanova the rest of the year.  Played much better against NC.  They should be much better late in the year and I can easily see them as a sweet 16 type team.

• Like 1

Iron Bowl I kept waiting for Auburn to block a Bama field goal or extra point. There's an interesting history there. First Iron Bowl OT in history was truly a gem though!

Regulation was not as entertaining though. I watched the snow come down at the Michigan State game. Since it does not snow here anymore...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Iron Bowl I kept waiting for Auburn to block a Bama field goal or extra point. There's an interesting history there. First Iron Bowl OT in history was truly a gem though!

Regulation was not as entertaining though. I watched the snow come down at the Michigan State game. Since it does not snow here anymore...

I watched OSU and Michigan playing in the snow too. Too bad one had to win. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Today felt like a January thaw after the past few weeks. It just feels weird to have the January thaw feeling/ warm breeze before Christmas.  Gut feeling is that this is going to flip hard later in Dec. 

I know, I'll go ahead and do it myself:

:weenie:

Man, I was loving it.  I have been freezing my tail off in the morning.  Bout the earliest I have ever had to dig out my running gloves.  The lake at Bays Mountain near Feagins Gap had ice on the beaver ponds there.  Not sure I have ever seen ice on that arm of the lake this early.  

Morristown released the November data....very cold and very dry.  Chattanooga had the driest November during the last 80 years.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas everyone.  We may be the smallest weather forum but we have some of the best posters around. I appreciate you all and via this forum, communicate with many of you more than some of my family! 

Some of you guys post less frequently and some seem to have disappeared. I truly hope you're all just taking a break from the weather and are healthy and happy with life. 

I look forward to actually getting some cold and a winter storm threat, that's when this place really springs to life. I think we will see that arrive in January and February. 

• Like 4