• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

10 minutes ago, Jed33 said:

Found this storm in the archives:

Here @Carvers Gap does an excellent job explaining what appears to have happened.

A3B27C71-55B0-42E2-BB0B-93E2F3F29DD4.jpeg

I have plenty of pics I could share from that event if interested. Worst weather event I've been through besides possibly the 1998 freak snowstorm in SEKY (I was only 5 in the Blizzard of 93). That whole week of 2015 was awful here.

• Like 3

I have plenty of pics I could share from that event if interested. Worst weather event I've been through besides possibly the 1998 freak snowstorm in SEKY (I was only 5 in the Blizzard of 93). That whole week of 2015 was awful here.

Schools in Knoxville were closed for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Schools in Knoxville were closed for 2 weeks.

In the 2015 one or 1993? They were closed here that long in 2015 but a lot of that is because power didn't come back on for over 10 days for a good part of the county. I vaguely remember the 1993 blizzard but I just remember the aftermath and it being really deep and playing in it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Yes share away! I always enjoy seeing weather pics especially winter time weather pics.

• Like 2

In the 2015 one or 1993? They were closed here that long in 2015 but a lot of that is because power didn't come back on for over 10 days for a good part of the county. I vaguely remember the 1993 blizzard but I just remember the aftermath and it being really deep and playing in it. 

2015 was when school was out for 2 weeks. I work for KCS as a HVAC tech since 2001. Seems like during those 2 weeks we had more than one storm. In 93’ I was a Jr at Powell HS. Cannot remember how long we were out though. What’s crazy is in February of 93’ we had a tornado outbreak that destroyed about 15-20 hours less than a mile from my house. It was a long track tornado going from Oak Ridge to Fountain City. Crossed interstate 75 at Emory Rd exit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

2015 was when school was out for 2 weeks. I work for KCS as a HVAC tech since 2001. Seems like during those 2 weeks we had more than one storm. In 93’ I was a Jr at Powell HS. Cannot remember how long we were out though. What’s crazy is in February of 93’ we had a tornado outbreak that destroyed about 15-20 hours less than a mile from my house. It was a long track tornado going from Oak Ridge to Fountain City. Crossed interstate 75 at Emory Rd exit.

Yes there were multiple storms in February of 2015. I know here we had an Ice storm warning on the 16th and had .25 of ice. Then followed that with -5 degrees or colder for a couple days and snow. Then on Friday we were to have a huge warmup and that ushered in sleet which quickly turned to freezing rain and resulted in a ton of ice here. East of us got mostly snow in all of those events. There was also a big sleet/snow storm just a few days after the 21st storm which probably gave the kids there a few more days off of school. I saved a screenshot of our forecast for that week just because it was so crazy. The second, bigger ice storm happened on Friday night/Saturday morning which you see on the pic and put down 1-2" of Freezing Rain. We had to stay in hotels for over a week in Cookeville due to the power outages and the worst part was they would sell our room to someone else if we didn't renew it quick enough because everyone from Crossville was going there. We bounced around to four different hotels that week before I finally just paid for three nights at one since it didn't look like our power would be back on for a while.

0rtFie.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

It seems like I heard '93 had actually been a fairly mild winter until the blizzard hit. Could be wrong. I've watched a few videos of it on YouTube and it looked insane for sure. I believe it was also very well forecasted for the time period and most people had ample warning before it hit. Again I could be wrong but just some things I seemed to remember.

• Like 2

Weird thing I noticed on the GFS was the snow depth. It shows 8 inches of snow falling in KNX, but a snow depth of less than an inch. I would think IF that much actually fell, we would have at least a couple inches on grassy surfaces. Maybe it is actually showing road snow depth!

• Like 2

It seems like I heard '93 had actually been a fairly mild winter until the blizzard hit. Could be wrong. I've watched a few videos of it on YouTube and it looked insane for sure. I believe it was also very well forecasted for the time period and most people had ample warning before it hit. Again I could be wrong but just some things I seemed to remember.

That’s correct. They started talking about that storm a week before it happened and it was a mild winter. I had about 18” at my house but my aunt in Union Co had around 2’.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dixie Alley is going to become easier to chase in an electric vehicle EV. Despite all the obstacles like trees, hills and poor visibility (even in the daytime) Dixie just got 100% more attractive. Pros went from 1. no chaser crowd to 2. EV friendly soon.

TVA and neighboring Utilities started the Electric Highway Coalition. Includes the entire Southeast, and goes from parts of Texas to the Mid-Atlantic, plus parts of Hoosier Alley. Cheers to chasing Dixie Alley in an EV!

In all seriousness, the Electric Highway Coalition should attract more employers and jobs, promoting economic health in the region.

https://www.tva.com/newsroom/press-releases/electric-highway-coalition

• Like 3

You read an old fashioned hard copy book, lol!

On 3/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, jaxjagman said:

So what happens during a power outage?

Oh that's to my EV post. I'm already thinking about severe wx, ha! If one can't charge their EV it's a blessing in disguise. Saves one a frustrating Dixie Alley, tree-filled, hill-blocked, low-visibility, rain-wrapped storm chase. 

Seriously, my main EV post and link is cheer leading TVA and surrounding Utilities. When a Company picks a location for a new factory or facility, they really do ask about the power generation mix. Of course they want reliable power too. The Southeast has cheap reliable power, which attracts industry and jobs.

• Like 5

Why is there a regular manipulation of data by either MRX or the NOAA? 

They put out a graphic of snowfall totals from the blizzard of 1993 that doesn't live in reality. 

It shows 15 inches for Lafollette and I know that area got 22 inches as I personally measured it there.  My area was well over 2 feet and above 3000 feet had 36 inches. My county average is 18 inches. 

I very clearly remember Tys recording over 15 inches and data from the time shows a snow depth of 15 inches at TYS. People I know who lived north of the city recorded 18 inches. They show Knoxville receiving 13.5 inches now and Knox County averaging 13.5. 

Probably the worst manipulation on the map, it shows Tazewell with 9 inches but official data from the Tazewell reporting station has an observation of an 18 inch snow depth. My uncle lives near there and he recorded 22 inches of snowfall. 

No idea why this is done in this area. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I noticed the same thing John. There are YouTube videos of the broadcast from 1993 in Knoxville showing the airport receiving 15in and those amounts that you mentioned above. It’s almost like every 10yrs they decrease it a little (maybe to fit the climate change narrative, uggh,  but hey that’s all conspiracy that they would do that, right LOL) At this rate by the time my kids are my age, they will say there was 6in at most. 

• Like 1

Why is there a regular manipulation of data by either MRX or the NOAA? 
They put out a graphic of snowfall totals from the blizzard of 1993 that doesn't live in reality. 
It shows 15 inches for Lafollette and I know that area got 22 inches as I personally measured it there.  My area was well over 2 feet and above 3000 feet had 36 inches. My county average is 18 inches. 
I very clearly remember Tys recording over 15 inches and data from the time shows a snow depth of 15 inches at TYS. People I know who lived north of the city recorded 18 inches. They show Knoxville receiving 13.5 inches now and Knox County averaging 13.5. 
Probably the worst manipulation on the map, it shows Tazewell with 9 inches but official data from the Tazewell reporting station has an observation of an 18 inch snow depth. My uncle lives near there and he recorded 22 inches of snowfall. 
No idea why this is done in this area. 

In North Knox Co we had 15-20”.

• Like 2

I said this earlier after the Christmas Eve storm. The official total for Knoxville was 2” at TYS but in MRX’s write up they clearly state that between 3-4” was observed at TYS but the official was 2” because that’s how much they measured at that time. That makes absolutely no sense at all. That’s like saying the high temp was 90 degrees but it was only 88 when we checked it so that is what we wrote down.

• Like 1