• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

7 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

k3KHfuN.png

La Nina = SE ridge in Feb

El Nino = SE ridge in Feb

La Nada = SE Ridge in Feb

Hopefully whatever that Super Nino did to the atmosphere has run its course now. 

This gradient TN pattern is what I've always heard associated with Ninas and it seems we finally have one. 

About over it at this point. Glad for the often shafted western areas, but for MBY, this winter has been a little bit of a disappointment. We finally had the fabled -NAO, during one of the best climo times for us and, even at some elevation on the plateau, I was dealing with mixing and boundary layer issues. It seems to help the pattern, but it needs arctic air to redirect our way. An example of how important the Pacific pattern is. Yeah the NAO kept us from being too warm, but I would prefer an occasional torch at this point that to the marginal BS we've had.  It's been so cloudy. I miss the sun and the stars.  I think I would trade every event up to this point, to be in the bullseye for this upcoming storm. Like tnweathernut, these marginal, nickle and dime events are getting old to me. I want a real winter storm. But it seems like I back into one marginal event a year, that falls out in my favor. 

Will the AMO change things up in the next decade? 

Does ENSO even matter any more? Like I posted above, we've had the same pattern problems in FEB with every ENSO state. 

It def, does seem like the SSW had an impact, but to be honest, I'm not sure there's much point in chasing them, other than to note that 3 - 4 weeks after one, we could see more blocking, if the base state is receptive. 

Do we need a Bond or Heinrich Event at this point? 

Like Old Ed Rupp used to say on WBIR, "Come on, Spring!" 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

About over it at this point. Glad for the often shafted western areas, but for MBY, this winter has been a little bit of a disappointment. We finally had the fabled -NAO, during one of the best climo times for us and, even at some elevation on the plateau, I was dealing with mixing and boundary layer issues. It seems to help the pattern, but it needs arctic air to redirect our way. An example of how important the Pacific pattern is. Yeah the NAO kept us from being too warm, but I would prefer an occasional torch at this point that to the marginal BS we've had.  It's been so cloudy. I miss the sun and the stars.  I think I would trade every event up to this point, to be in the bullseye for this upcoming storm. Like tnweathernut, these marginal, nickle and dime events are getting old to me. I want a real winter storm. But it seems like I back into one marginal event a year, that falls out in my favor. 

Will the AMO change things up in the next decade? 

Does ENSO even matter any more? Like I posted above, we've had the same pattern problems in FEB with every ENSO state. 

It def, does seem like the SSW had an impact, but to be honest, I'm not sure there's much point in chasing them, other than to note that 3 - 4 weeks after one, we could see more blocking, if the base state is receptive. 

The -NAO works best further east than the Plateau unless you're above 1500 feet or so. I've honestly been shocked at some of your misses this year. Right now the PNA is positive and that's helped get the extreme cold into the south but unfortunately the Bermuda death ridge means you're on the border of being too far southeast for the deeper cold. It's rare to see that level of cold hang up in Middle and West Tennessee for that long and be forced so far south because the eastern ridging is that stubborn. It's crazy that Southern Louisiana has had two 12 inch snow events since the Plateau has had one. 

• Like 1

About over it at this point. Glad for the often shafted western areas, but for MBY, this winter has been a little bit of a disappointment. We finally had the fabled -NAO, during one of the best climo times for us and, even at some elevation on the plateau, I was dealing with mixing and boundary layer issues. It seems to help the pattern, but it needs arctic air to redirect our way. An example of how important the Pacific pattern is. Yeah the NAO kept us from being too warm, but I would prefer an occasional torch at this point that to the marginal BS we've had.  It's been so cloudy. I miss the sun and the stars.  I think I would trade every event up to this point, to be in the bullseye for this upcoming storm. Like tnweathernut, these marginal, nickle and dime events are getting old to me. I want a real winter storm. But it seems like I back into one marginal event a year, that falls out in my favor.  Will the AMO change things up in the next decade? 

I feel ya man I feel ya. I'm happy for west and middle, but mby hasn't had winter storm warning snowfall in 6 winters counting this winter. It's almost soul crushing that the boundary being the plateau is 8 miles away as the crow flies and gonna be cold rain..... 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

On 2/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, PowellVolz said:

Putting down my first app of pre emergent on the lawn. Forsythia are already starting to bloom so it’s that time of year.

What kinda grass do you have? I just got a new sprayer in today to put down some preemergent. My lawn was all weeds until the last year or so because they took off the topsoil when they built it. I've worked hard on it the last year or two and it looks a lot better, but still has a fair amount of weeds that I'm trying to improve. A million times better than before though.

20201004-132325.jpg

• Like 2

Any takers on directional rime ice forms?

Shown is a picture of some rime ice following a a storm on big bald from a few weeks back.  The wind was really heavy from the south face of the mtn.  A buddy of mine suggested that what is giving the rime ice the distinctive directional look was that the moisture hits the bare side of the post and the wind is wrapping it around the backside, accumulating over time in the protected backside area.   But this was a random guess.  We're we wrong?

GX010329_1613365847114.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bigbald said:

Any takers on directional rime ice forms?

Shown is a picture of some rime ice following a a storm on big bald from a few weeks back.  The wind was really heavy from the south face of the mtn.  A buddy of mine suggested that what is giving the rime ice the distinctive directional look was that the moisture hits the bare side of the post and the wind is wrapping it around the backside, accumulating over time in the protected backside area.   But this was a random guess.  We're we wrong?

GX010329_1613365847114.jpg

Interesting, we've been having something like this happen in Crossville the past few days (on a much smaller scale). The south facing side of the trees look "normal" while the other side (North facing) are covered in a pretty thick glaze of ice. And then there are random parts that look like the pic above. I don't remember seeing it before though.

What kinda grass do you have? I just got a new sprayer in today to put down some preemergent. My lawn was all weeds until the last year or so because they took off the topsoil when they built it. I've worked hard on it the last year or two and it looks a lot better, but still has a fair amount of weeds that I'm trying to improve. A million times better than before though.

20201004-132325.jpg&key=31a12022a3c602ddf02f619c21d23b765ec922ed15548540efd68c2c9b71fae7

I have a fescue lawn. Your picture looks great. Here’s mine.....

0eb6cbf7cb7f047a731d792b547f619b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowellVolz said:

I have a fescue lawn. Your picture looks great. Here’s mine.....

0eb6cbf7cb7f047a731d792b547f619b.jpg

Nice! Same here. It does really well on the Plateau as you'd expect. I think everyone up here has cool-season grass of some kind though. Yours looks awesome. I put more seed down this fall and am hopeful it'll look better this year if I can get the weeds under control.

• Like 1