• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

Deep -AO can't even help Tennessee. Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi yes. Spain definitely. Tennessee going like our football. 

I have not commented on the last two systems due to work and online school crazy. However I root for y'all in the zones.

News is much brighter in basketball land! Vols and Jayhawks have both bounced back with 1-2 wins including Saturday. Tennessee is so energetic both sides of the ball. We meet in a couple weeks!

• Like 1

I'd forgotten how good it felt to have a "normal" winter. Where it actually snows during the winter months on a fairly regular basis.  Even if it doesn't snow another flake after today I've already had more snowfall and snowy winter days than I have in several years.  Even one of our snowy years a few years ago was warm n Dec/Jan that went arctic in February and we had a 10 day snow/ice blitz. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Doesn't look like any winter weather to root for the next couple weeks. Sigh

Really would love for our members who haven't gotten squat yet to see some snow. Looking at Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, Cleveland, Jackson and Clarksville. Closing out January, the best possible month for snow, without any snow for at least half of the state is no fun. Snowless winters suck harder than a hundred dollar you-know-what.

We can always score a nice one in February or March (and, in very rare cases, April), but our chances from now on are dwindling. It sucks!

Actually February is usually the snowiest month in Tennessee. So all hope isn't lost yet at least. 

13 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I believe it's January for the slight majority of TN municipalities. That could change with the 1991-2020 normals; perhaps you have more recent data than I do

snowiestmo.jpg

Thats actually probably a recent thing then.  Nashville's snowfall records for individual storms and snowiest months are virtually all set after January but they were also set before the 1980s for the most part. 

I did find that Nashville and Knoxville saw the largest drop in snowfall average in the entire country for the 1981-2010 time frame. Nashville dropped 60 percent and Knoxville 52 percent. Not sure if that's more urbanization or what. I do know that for Knoxville it's due in part to missing data.  Several large snow events in Knoxville in the 90s are missing from data and monthly snowfall is recorded at way less than actually fell. 

• Like 1

16 of the top 28 snow events in Nashville history occurred later than today's day, into February and March. Several happened in November/December as well. 

Here are some blockbusters. 

feb21886snow.png

march171892snow.png

This one here had those 15 inches in Nashville fall in 13 hours!

02201929snow.png

The Great Blizzard of 1951 was also the end of January into the 1st of February. 

February for the mid state has the all time single day snow fall record for Jamestown,  Carthage, Byrdstown, Franklin, Monterrey, Gainsboro, Nashville,  Orlinda, Smithville and Sparta among others. February also has the all time record low for a multitude of cities in the midstate with temps rivaling January of 1985. 

While none of those things may happen in February this year,  any point in February is too early to give up hope on winter anywhere in the state. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

16 of the top 28 snow events in Nashville history occurred later than today's day, into February and March. Several happened in November/December as well. 

Here are some blockbusters. 

feb21886snow.png

march171892snow.png

This one here had those 15 inches in Nashville fall in 13 hours!

02201929snow.png

The Great Blizzard of 1951 was also the end of January into the 1st of February. 

February for the mid state has the all time single day snow fall record for Jamestown,  Carthage, Byrdstown, Franklin, Monterrey, Gainsboro, Nashville,  Orlinda, Smithville and Sparta among others. February also has the all time record low for a multitude of cities in the midstate with temps rivaling January of 1985. 

While none of those things may happen in February this year,  any point in February is too early to give up hope on winter anywhere in the state. 

Folks in Chattanooga are looking at those maps and saying, “This has been going on since 1886?!” j/k. Great maps as always.

• Like 3

Not sure. Jet looks not so hot for severe, if that look were to pan out:

gfsp_uv250_us_59.png

Long range is starting to show reinforcement to the -NAO with another half #%$^% split and warming in the strat, so I'd be willing to bet, at least through mid Feb. it might be hard to get anything to amplify, unless that NAO relaxes a bit for a time. 

@Greyhound some hopeful person went in to his Wikipedia page and edited it, lol (not me). I was just reading some of the more excitable twutters on VOL twitter claim that there was a plane from State College meeting one from UT and decided to see if someone had edited it. Yup. It's back to normal now though.

7G8rZMp.png

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

@Greyhound some hopeful person went in to his Wikipedia page and edited it, lol (not me). I was just reading some of the more excitable twutters on VOL twitter claim that there was a plane from State College meeting one from UT and decided to see if someone had edited it. Yup. It's back to normal now though.

A friend of mine sent me a link this afternoon and evidently someone had also edited the wiki page of Tony Elliot saying he was the new coach at UT! Someone's having fun with the UT fans, I do believe...

• Like 1

Looks like the MA is finally gonna get smoked. Wasn't the last time they had a widespread event for even the I-95 folks and SE from there 2016? Hopefully a sign that whatever (whether it be background state or plain bad luck) has been keeping the TN Valley corridor and areas NE toward them from getting a decent set up is finally going away. Or they just got lucky. Whatves, I'm happy for 'em!

It's the weekend! Well, it's that weekend the SEC Big 12 Challenge. Saturday Tennessee hosts Kansas at 6pm Eastern. Should be a good game. I predict Tennessee wins at home. Enjoy!

In other news the KC Chiefs are in the Superbowl. Analog last year has a bowling ball snow event in southeast Tennessee, oh one can dream of both victories!

• Like 2