• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

9 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Merry Christmas, fellow weather enthusiasts. I believe I've "known" some of you guys for nearly 15 years now. Even those of you who've not been around as long, I'm glad to see you here every day. 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground today is like 10 any other day. We only get to experience this in our back yards once every 8 to 15 years depending on where you live.

To our west valley folks, hopefully we are just at the beginning of a prolific winter. We aren't getting extremely cold yet or anything but this system just shows that sometimes timing is all it takes. Hopefully your window comes open during this rare -NAO/-AO combination. If the Pac cooperates as advertised during the first two weeks of January, I think you'll get some fireworks. 80-85 percent of the seasonal snow that falls in the region falls beyond December. So a ton of winter left. 

Will remain hopeful but not really seeing allot on modeling that can cling too lol 

22 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

Will remain hopeful but not really seeing allot on modeling that can cling too lol 

Shoot, it looks great to me. The indices scream winter. The mountain torque event is starting similar to the one that gave us the PNA boost to close out November. The Euro is consistently showing a low road storm in the 8-10 day period. The EPS has a decent mean around that time frame. The Canadian has hinted at a big storm around then too. Late in the Euro's run basically all of southern Canada was in the-15 to -20 range. That's great source air for us. 

I'm usually very skeptical after the past few winters sunk us. But this winter seems to have way more potential than any we've had since 2016 or so. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

Shoot, it looks great to me. The indices scream winter. The mountain torque event is starting similar to the one that gave us the PNA boost to close out November. The Euro is consistently showing a low road storm in the 8-10 day period. The EPS has a decent mean around that time frame. The Canadian has hinted at a big storm around then too. Late in the Euro's run basically all of southern Canada was in the-15 to -20 range. That's great source air for us. 

I'm usually very skeptical after the past few winters sunk us. But this winter seems to have way more potential than any we've had since 2016 or so. 

All right, will be more on board when start seeing it depicted in modeling I guess. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

RV explosion on second avenue in dtwn Nashville this morning an intentional act, according to authorities. Wish I was making this up. Thankfully no serious injuries reported.

Saw that too, very sad man.  It’s unfathomable that there are individuals who would carry out something so terrible.  Thoughts and prayers to all affected  

After toying with the idea for over 10 years I finally caved and ordered a weather station.  I went with the Ambient Weather WS-2000.  It seems to have everything I need and is turn-key as far as automatically logging the data in the cloud.  Can't wait to start pouring over those sweet graphs and tables.  Soil moisture sensors were out of stock but I will be adding one of those for clay and another for garden soil.  Also added a lightning detector.  Super pumped!

:guitar:

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

After toying with the idea for over 10 years I finally caved and ordered a weather station.  I went with the Ambient Weather WS-2000.  It seems to have everything I need and is turn-key as far as automatically logging the data in the cloud.  Can't wait to start pouring over those sweet graphs and tables.  Soil moisture sensors were out of stock but I will be adding one of those for clay and another for garden soil.  Also added a lightning detector.  Super pumped!

:guitar:

That is awesome. 

For all you Knoxville peeps, Elkmont exchange is selling their on tap beer for $5 for half a gallon, if you buy a 4 pack of cans ($10, I think). Good deal for me. Got a gallon of Imperial Stout for 10 bucks. The only caveat, they give it to you in milk jugs, so it is NOT a good idea to lay them down in the back floorboard and drive back to MoCo. The car was full of wife, dogs, and groceries, so I had no other choice, lol. I made it back with about .75 gallons and a free Imperial Stout scent in my car! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, John1122 said:

Tennessee is really really good. I really hope we get a tournament this year. If this team doesn't make the final four I'll say we may never make it as a program. 

Barnes and company definitely have this program rolling.  Love the kids they recruit and looking forward to their development.  It's a shame these kids can't play in front of packed crowds at Thompson-Boling.  They are good enough to win it all if they keep improving.  Team chemistry is through the roof.............

• Like 1

Saturday I felt multiple disturbances in the College Basketball Force. Tennessee lost in Knoxville to Alabama. Vols let your hearts not be troubled. A January loss can promote excellence later in the season. Lack of home fans likely takes away some home court advantage.

A much bigger debacle unfolded in Lawrence, Kan. Texas destroyed KU by 25 points! That's a bit more than a January home loss. I know they're both ranked; but, that's a stunning and colossal failure in Allen Field House. Cancelation of the tournament last season stings deeper today.

Welp. There is good news when Tennessee hosts Kansas. At least we both can't lose that day, lol!

• Like 1

Just reading the news where Spain got a giant blizzard and here we are seeing snow way down deep in the South for the second time in the last few years. Wild how places that rarely see snow seem to get it more than places in Tennessee that should see snow every year. We are also overdue for a major snowstorm. A 15-20 inch type event. They used to happen every few years in the Valley region somewhere but haven't really been a thing in a long time now outside of elevation.

• Like 2