• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

4 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Speaking of Cross Mt. @John1122, you can really see some downsloping on satellite this afternoon. 

giphy.gif

I've been getting a little bit of upslope enhanced precip here in MoCo. 

I have a friend who lives at the base of the mountain there and he literally gets about half the precip I do a year. 

27 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

RAP weenie run for the plateau:

giphy.gif

With a setup like that, I have saw that pan out. The coastal pulls down or allows in place cold air to hold, therefore the incoming system produces front end snow. Sometimes a thumping b4 changeover. In a much colder environment the setup has produced all snow for parts of the area.

• Like 1

If the Apps can slow the front down giving the energy enough time to develop along the tail, things could get really interesting or if the trailing energy phases somewhat. Just glad to see modeling agree somewhat at this range with anything from a lee side low to a more miller A ish development...those range scenarios have proven to perform in the past. Give me a chance with a strong arctic front with energy along the tail any day of the week lol

• Like 4

Hey everyone, been a while and I don't post a whole lot but I am now living in the Knoxville area after living in Asheville for a few years. I posted somewhat infrequently when I lived in Johnson City several years before AVL.  Anyway, just wanted to say hello! I appreciate this forum and I am looking forward to posting some obs. Hopefully this Friday. :weenie:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Silas Lang said:

Hey everyone, been a while and I don't post a whole lot but I am now living in the Knoxville area after living in Asheville for a few years. I posted somewhat infrequently when I lived in Johnson City several years before AVL.  Anyway, just wanted to say hello! I appreciate this forum and I am looking forward to posting some obs. Hopefully this Friday. :weenie:

Welcome back to east TN.  Good to have you in here.  You sure move a lot.   lol

If it doesn’t snow on Christmas Eve we will hold you personally responsible.

I think we're all used to getting shafted at this point which makes the potential for a white Christmas all the more alluring yet bothering. In my case, I can only help but feel snubbed the past few years especially with my local climate. Last having recorded a single day snowfall above 3" in March of 2018. Of course, I don't mean to whine and remain optimistic for any potential winter events ahead. Echoing the sentiments of others I am glad we aren't dealing with what we had last year.

So I know some of you are more up on TN football news than I am, but am I understanding the news about the NCAA investigation correctly in thinking that we have cheated our way to

3-7???  If so, that takes skill. Could we at least be 5 - 5 and not have fake punts to get first downs on Vandy if we are bribing players to come here?

Apparently Pruitt was maybe paying players and recruits. I have no idea how he could be cheating like Alabama but producing that result on the field.  

My main hope is that it allows him to be fired with cause and saves UT 12 million in buyout money. 

We aren't going to be any worse on the field regardless of the outcome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

So I know some of you are more up on TN football news than I am, but am I understanding the news about the NCAA investigation correctly in thinking that we have cheated our way to

3-7???  If so, that takes skill. Could we at least be 5 - 5 and not have fake punts to get first downs on Vandy if we are bribing players to come here?

From what I understand.  It’s not an NCAA investigation.........yet.  

It’s an internal compliance investigation for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, John1122 said:

Apparently Pruitt was maybe paying players and recruits. I have no idea how he could be cheating like Alabama but producing that result on the field.  

My main hope is that it allows him to be fired with cause and saves UT 12 million in buyout money. 

We aren't going to be any worse on the field regardless of the outcome. 

I think the timing of this investigation could be very telling. I have heard that a level 1 or 2 violation could result in Pruitt being fired with cause and without a buyout, where a lower violation could give UT the leverage to negotiate a lower buyout. If UT could negotiate a lower buyout, while giving up a bowl game this year (much like LSU has done) and maybe lose a scholarship or two for a brief period, I think the University comes out way ahead. Especially factoring in that payments to Butch Jones for his buyout are over in February, I believe (Though the last 1 or 2 may be eliminated by his taking the HC job at Arkansas State).

I think Pruitt is a very good DC and may make a decent HC one day. But the lack of development of the Vols after his 3 years of being head coach is telling as to his ability to lead a P5 program at this time. Then again it's 2020, so heck, he may end up with another extension and raise for all I know! ;)

• Like 3

My condolences, seriously from another big basketball school. Cal will get that ship righted during conference play. See you (Kentucky) in the tournament. 

21 hours ago, Kentucky said:

Kentucky Basketball, is 1-5 for the first time since 1927...

That's going back to when Kansas lost to Topeka YMCA, arguably our biggest debacle. 

Regarding Tennessee football.. Who cares? Tennessee is a basketball school now! Lol @tnweathernut it's the Upside Down or something from Stranger Things.

It's the most wonderful time of the year. College basketball season!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kentucky said:

Barnes gets it done, what a great coach. UTMBB my pick to win it all

He really is a great coach.  I’m glad Texas thought his best days were behind him..  TN is lucky to have him.

As an aside, my wife’s cousin is on Barnes staff and was on the basketball team for 4 years (2015/16 to 2018/19).  At family gatherings (not as much lately with COVID) I get to take a peek behind the curtain of UT basketball under Barnes.  It’s been fun the last 5+ years.

• Like 4

Merry Christmas, fellow weather enthusiasts. I believe I've "known" some of you guys for nearly 15 years now. Even those of you who've not been around as long, I'm glad to see you here every day. 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground today is like 10 any other day. We only get to experience this in our back yards once every 8 to 15 years depending on where you live.

To our west valley folks, hopefully we are just at the beginning of a prolific winter. We aren't getting extremely cold yet or anything but this system just shows that sometimes timing is all it takes. Hopefully your window comes open during this rare -NAO/-AO combination. If the Pac cooperates as advertised during the first two weeks of January, I think you'll get some fireworks. 80-85 percent of the seasonal snow that falls in the region falls beyond December. So a ton of winter left. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2