Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Storm Beta

Windspeed

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm wondering how fast the Gulf surface waters warm back up after the passage of  tropical cyclone like Sally.  Does a couple of days of bright sun do much in September?   Gulf waters must be pretty well turned up.  Anyone knowledgeable in this area?

Wouldn't it take a while. The heat capacity of water is high so just "a couple of days in the sun"I feel like would not really warm up the waters that much. 

19 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

Wouldn't it take a while. The heat capacity of water is high so just "a couple of days in the sun"I feel like would not really warm up the waters that much. 

Warming up sea surface wouldn't take much time, and usually, more important than sun light is wind. Calm seas, with little churning can sensibly warm sea surface...and low clouds at night to trap some of the low level atmospheric heat would also help. But that would be at depths of no more than a few meters. The heat capacity of the area south of LA is pretty low right now, so I don't think it would recover much in that aspect. A smaller, faster moving system would resent this heat content loss less than a bigger, slower moving one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Given the right conditions you could easily see a Patricia type storm there. I wonder what the upper bounds are for intensity and pressure, sub 850 220mph?

Definitely but would most likely have to be a pinhole eye. A system with a larger eye would be harder pressed to find the high wind speeds that Patricia produced.