• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

6 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I like seeing this trending strong but that guy doesn’t check the weather up here much. 20’ waves are routine on the Great Lakes every fall and winter. In fact they get bigger than that in the biggest events. 

for Lake Ontario or Lake Erie? Lake Superior holds the record for largest wave recorded in the Great Lakes at 28.8 feet in 2017, so though it might be routine getting over 20 feet it starts maxing out the height the waves can get. 

I tried finding Lake Erie data and almost every article discussing 20+ foot waves had it for Lake Ontario and Lake Huron. Superior routinely goes 23-27 feet in the worst storms. It can happen on Erie but it seems to be the least likely of the Great Lakes to routinely get 20 foot wave storms. 

23 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I like seeing this trending strong but that guy doesn’t check the weather up here much. 20’ waves are routine on the Great Lakes every fall and winter. In fact they get bigger than that in the biggest events. 

Aside from that part though the event is starting to look legit. The Grand River conservation authority over here is calling for significant storm surge and flooding in areas near the shoreline. Ill be heading down to the Dunnville-Port Colborne region tomorrow to check it out. 

11 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Aside from that part though the event is starting to look legit. The Grand River conservation authority over here is calling for significant storm surge and flooding in areas near the shoreline. Ill be heading down to the Dunnville-Port Colborne region tomorrow to check it out. 

I think it happens on Erie more than we realize. The orientation is so favorable for massive seiches with these storm tracks, and seiches go hand in hand with prolonged unidirectional strong winds and thus massive waves. I dunno, seems plausible
Anyway, I do agree this is an intriguing system and actually trending stronger in the final 24 hours which is contrary to how a lot of these high wind events played out last year. Needless to say I’m excited!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

I think it happens on Erie more than we realize. The orientation is so favorable for massive seiches with these storm tracks, and seiches go hand in hand with prolonged unidirectional strong winds and thus massive waves. I dunno, seems plausible
Anyway, I do agree this is an intriguing system and actually trending stronger in the final 24 hours which is contrary to how a lot of these high wind events played out last year. Needless to say I’m excited!  

Do you think KBUF registers a gust over 65mph? 

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Yep. There was a seiche near the turn of the century that was large enough to flood downtown buffalo all the way to the first ward. I think several people drowned. 
edit: 1844 and 78 people died. 

3 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Yep. There was a seiche near the turn of the century that was large enough to flood downtown buffalo all the way to the first ward. I think several people drowned. 
edit: 1844 and 78 people died. 

wow, thanks for sharing that. I guess it sets the precedence that it can/will happen again at some point 

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm going to be outside physically holding my fence today tomorrow afternoon. 

Could be worse... my roof on the “weathered” side of my house is shot.  The singles are starting to dry out, curl up, and be blown off.  Tried to get someone out for weeks but the companies were all so backed up I was told by a few if I wanted to jump the wait list it had to be a cash job.  Couldn’t swing it so Im left hoping our violent wind storms stay to a minimum this winter.  Last wind event I had to pick up about a dozen shingles that were blown off.  My only saving grace is I have a full walk in attic on the third floor so in the event I do develop any leaks I can keep them from doing an damage to the interior of the house... yuck... need a good blanket of snow to come cover and protect the roof for me, but that’s not looking likely... 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

BW, where's your fence? I expect to see a webcam of you holding your fence up in the 60mph winds... If we can't see snow, I want to see you posing sideways at your fence. Something that would make Jim Cantore proud.

Didnt have enough daylight to install backyard cam. Going to setup soon though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

wow, thanks for sharing that. I guess it sets the precedence that it can/will happen again at some point 

The Great Buffalo Flood is just crazy to read about.  Wish there was more about it aside from a few news articles on the memorial dates of the storm that chronicled survivor stories.  They estimated the water level at Buffalo Harbor rose 22 feet in 2 hours.  That rivals the storm surge of a major hurricane.  Most of what is now “downtown” had water 8 feet deep.  Dozens of people literally drown in their beds as the storm hit in the middle of the night.  Hundreds of boats were pushed back into the creeks and canals and littered the city streets for months.  Many of the now homeless actually ended up taking shelter for the winter on these boats.  While the lack of a break wall system was partially blamed for the extent of the flood, the storm system itself was unique.  For the days prior to the storm strong easterly winds actually pushed the lake back towards Toledo.  As the storm moved East the winds turned violently from the south west, not only causing a regular seiche, but also returning the normal water level that had been pushed to the other end of the lake, in essence a double whammy impact.  

It’s thought the extensive beak wall system that was built in the years following the flood have prevented a repeat event.  In recent years most of our surge levels have been in the 6-8’ range with the higher end events topping 10’.  The big storm we had last Halloween saw an 11’ rise.  

• Like 2

I am pretty solidly in a realistic mindset that any snow we get this upcoming winter will not last more than a couple days. I keep catching myself thinking, "Oh, is it "supposed" to be chilly like this this time of year? I think this upcoming week is going to be the exact preview of what we see for most of this winter. 50s...a day or two of 30s with snow showers...then 50s..rinse and repeat. Pacific Jet and SE Ridge will continue the theme of ruling winter.