• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

20 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Nice visible loop showing the elevation dependent snowcover in the Adirondacks.  Also a neat little strip of snow in NW pa that quickly melts.  

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=ne&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

That actually gives a good depiction of the tug. There’s a little jog to the tug’s elevation that extends SE. you can see it here. The tug is almost a triangle. West Turin is in that little corner and I drive through their every winter. They get tons of snow. They have sooo much more than Lowville , which is only 15 miles to their NE and tons more than Lee, to its S. Always 3-4 foot banks. Tractors buried halfway up the wheels. Amazing. There’s a bar there, called the Milk Dairy or some sh.t. I’ve always wondered who goes there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

That actually gives a good depiction of the tug. There’s a little jog to the tug’s elevation that extends SE. you can see it here. The tug is almost a triangle. West Turin is in that little corner and I drive through their every winter. They get tons of snow. They have sooo much more than Lowville , which is only 15 miles to their NE and tons more than Lee, to its S. Always 3-4 foot banks. Tractors buried halfway up the wheels. Amazing. There’s a bar there, called the Milk Dairy or some sh.t. I’ve always wondered who goes there. 

Milkplant.  Snowmobilers and some of the 50 people in West Leyden keep that place alive.

• Haha 1

Warmest November week ever!

Streak of 60s could be longest of all time

BUFFALO, NY: — Buffalo is on the way to break a record that has stood in the books for 80 years! It's the kind of weather event that occurs literally once in a lifetime. The streak of 60s that started this week could end up making this the longest run of 65F+ days ever felt in November and essentially the warmest stretch of weather in Buffalo history for the month.

Officially Buffalo is off to a great start recording 69F and 67F on Wednesday & Thursday of this week and has a great shot at hitting the mark again on Friday bringing the total to 3 in a row... but how many does Buffalo need to break the record? That number stands at 7.

https://www.wkbw.com/weather/warmest-november-week-ever

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

BUFFALO, NY: — Buffalo is on the way to break a record that has stood in the books for 80 years! It's the kind of weather event that occurs literally once in a lifetime. The streak of 60s that started this week could end up making this the longest run of 65F+ days ever felt in November and essentially the warmest stretch of weather in Buffalo history for the month.

Officially Buffalo is off to a great start recording 69F and 67F on Wednesday & Thursday of this week and has a great shot at hitting the mark again on Friday bringing the total to 3 in a row... but how many does Buffalo need to break the record? That number stands at 7.

We have this in the bag!!! 2020 won’t let us down now!!!

7 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Does the 12z finally offer a bit of hope by the second half of the month???

I don't trust the GFS beyond a week. It always shows colder then normal beyond day 10. The EPS gives me hope though.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_11.png

The GEFS shows something similar, but than the SE ridge reemerges to dominant the pattern. The cold air never really makes it to us.

gfs-ens_z500a_us_53.png

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I don't trust the GFS beyond a week. It always shows colder then normal beyond day 10. The EPS gives me hope though.

Agreed BW that’s why I had reservation but at least there are signs...and if what the EPS shows comes to fruition we would see a decent chance at a synoptic snowfall and eventually our first real LES chances

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

Agreed BW that’s why I had reservation but at least there are signs...and if what the EPS shows comes to fruition we would see a decent chance at a synoptic snowfall and eventually our first real LES chances

I edited my post to show what the next few screens show on GEFS. Still not liking the look. SE Ridge never moves. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Is the streak 60’s or 65+?  BUF is at 61 right now, not sure if we hit 65 earlier. Strong SW breeze is keeping it a bit cooler.  Probably same deal tomorrow.  

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Gotcha, lock it in. 

Anyone else have much foliage left?  Still over 50% leaf-on in my neighborhood with some nice colors holding strong. We’ve only had one freeze so far. 

That's unbelievable.

We are 100% leaf free here, and have been for several weeks.  I finished leaf clean up in October.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Gotcha, lock it in. 

Anyone else have much foliage left?  Still over 50% leaf-on in my neighborhood with some nice colors holding strong. We’ve only had one freeze so far. 

Probably about 50 percent of the leafs are gone here in Rochester; which is right on schedule. A lot of yellow and some reds still hanging around which is nice. 

Because of four hours of subfreezing temps last week, I had to take down about a dozen thriving indeterminate tomato plants. I picked more than 85 green tomatoes right before the freeze, I tried to leave part of the vine attached to give them a better chance of ripening, but probably 90% of them were too early. If I could have protected them for four hours, this current spell of weather is warm enough and forecast to continue long enough that they could have vine-ripened! 

18 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Is the streak 60’s or 65+?  BUF is at 61 right now, not sure if we hit 65 earlier. Strong SW breeze is keeping it a bit cooler.  Probably same deal tomorrow.  

Hit 64 yesterday at KBUF at 1:31 PM, already 63 today at 10 am. KBUF is +5.3 for the month. I think we finish +8-10. 2020 might end up being top 2 for warmest years ever with 2012. 

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Hit 64 yesterday at KBUF at 1:31 PM, already 63 today at 10 am. KBUF is +5.3 for the month. I think we finish +8-10. 2020 might end up being top 2 for warmest years ever with 2012. 

Agree. Looks like if we flip cooler later this month it’s still only close to normal. Damage will have been done. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I like this look, Small LES event potential? 

I’m not feeling it. GEFS is different. As long as the two camps aren’t in lock step I gotta think more of the same. I’m concerned about the WAR. It seems that it has become a fixture during the winter months the past decade and is becoming increasingly difficult to move out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I’m not feeling it. GEFS is different. As long as the two camps aren’t in lock step I gotta think more of the same. I’m concerned about the WAR. It seems that it has become a fixture during the winter months the past decade and is becoming increasingly difficult to move out.

You're right the GEFS keep the ridge going the entire run. We need an atmospheric shakeup.

• Like 1