• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Everyone forgets about elevation out in the Plains, lol. Ppl think the plains are flat, which they are, but still much higher in elevation than anywhere around here. As you drive from Nebraska into CO, or Wyoming you don't realize ur at about 3500' in elevation and as you go further West it just gets higher and higher. It may be flat in Eastern CO but their at about 4000' in elevation otherwise they'd get very little snow in October and November. Amarillo TX is at 3650' thats why they can snow and it takes much longer for us to get out first flakes. Even Western Nebraska is close to 3000' and the tugs highest hill I think is 2800' but I may be wrong so yeah, they'll snow before US pretty much every yr.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Its gonna be a very cold rain for most of us on this forum from Thursday into Thursday night and then we may see some dynamics come into play depending upon how strong the SLP gets. Perhaps we'll see a changeover to plain snow early morning Friday beforeit quickly goes back to rain. Its a strung out mess before it gets even close to us then starts to get its act together once it redevelops off the coast and heads for the benchmark so I know this weenie isn't getting his hopes up.

2 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Its gonna be a very cold rain for most of us on this forum from Thursday into Thursday night and then we may see some dynamics come into play depending upon how strong the SLP gets. Perhaps we'll see a changeover to plain snow early morning Friday beforeit quickly goes back to rain. Its a strung out mess before it gets even close to us then starts to get its act together once it redevelops off the coast and heads for the benchmark so I know this weenie isn't getting his hopes up.

Damn, I came here just to see if you were posting 500:1 Kuchera maps yet. 

49 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Everyone forgets about elevation out in the Plains, lol. Ppl think the plains are flat, which they are, but still much higher in elevation than anywhere around here. As you drive from Nebraska into CO, or Wyoming you don't realize ur at about 3500' in elevation and as you go further West it just gets higher and higher. It may be flat in Eastern CO but their at about 4000' in elevation otherwise they'd get very little snow in October and November. Amarillo TX is at 3650' thats why they can snow and it takes much longer for us to get out first flakes. Even Western Nebraska is close to 3000' and the tugs highest hill I think is 2800' but I may be wrong so yeah, they'll snow before US pretty much every yr.

Western Nebraska into Wyoming/Colorado is over 5000 feet lol. I know it because I just drove to Wyoming and back last month. When you get to the Western part of Nebraska where 80 splits off to 76 to head to Denver, as you continue on 80 westward it feels like your just going up and up forever. Good point you made though, it may be flat (relatively) but it’s high up there! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Well with this logic, those locations should never be warm and Denver should never crack 70 even on the hottest day of the year. You need sudden elevation changes above the local mean elevation for significant cooling to be realized.  

Those locations get snow because they are closer the genesis point of strong lee side low pressure systems. Arctic fronts drop quickly and efficiently along the Rockies and down through the plains delivering unseasonably cold air. Couple that with strong dynamic cooling from the rapidly deepening systems and you have a location ripe for early season flakes. 

• Like 2