• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

If you're a cold weather fanatic you need to move to somewhere else or somewhere with high elevation. Alaska, Maine, Canada all give you what you're searching for.

With the changing climate (whether it be temporary or not), this is certainly true these days. My wife and I will continue to traverse this latitude as a "mutual" thing...too warm for me still, and too cold for her...lol. She dreads even going on a trip to Alaska because she thinks I will find a job while we're there. Bahaha.

The Great Lakes Coastal plains are great for seeing snow (Even in crap winters) but are sooooo unreliable for snow retention, which is the part that sucks for me. The ability for it to rapidly warm up...boo in my opinion. It's almost like a mini Chinook....get a wind from the SW, and the temps will skyrocket. Just this week, it was in the upper 40s...then a SW wind kicked in and the temp jumped 15 degrees in an hour.

In this current "pattern" or whatever we're in, everything is biased towards warm. I have considered looking at homes in the Tully area or back up in the Tug...but then you run into lack of access to commodities (wife likes these) and longer commutes (I dislike these), etc... Everything in balance. If Central NY had a better Public Transportation system, I would easily live in an area with higher elevation and less prone to thaws and commute to the Syracuse area via public transportation. (I have no desire to drive through Syracuse for a commute...so the northern suburbs it is.

• Like 1

That October storm is still the greatest weather experience of my life, by a large margin too.  I had been eyeing that forecast all week and Thursday evening when it was confirmed that temps were supporting snow I quickly took off the following day and headed off to Buffalo.  I drove around from 9pm to 3am and was one of the last people to get on the Thruway before it was shut down.  I drove over hundreds of powerlines that night.  I remember coming across the first downed line and not really knowing what to do, by the end of the night I was just driving over powerlines and small limbs like it was a regular day.  Almost got hit by falling branches several times too.  I wish I had taken more photos or chronicled my adventure but it all happened so fast and was so surreal. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

That October storm is still the greatest weather experience of my life, by a large margin too.  I had been eyeing that forecast all week and Thursday evening when it was confirmed that temps were supporting snow I quickly took off the following day and headed off to Buffalo.  I drove around from 9pm to 3am and was one of the last people to get on the Thruway before it was shut down.  I drove over hundreds of powerlines that night.  I remember coming across the first downed line and not really knowing what to do, by the end of the night I was just driving over powerlines and small limbs like it was a regular day.  Almost got hit by falling branches several times too.  I wish I had taken more photos or chronicled my adventure but it all happened so fast and was so surreal. 

Yeah, I remember watching from afar on TWC. Epic band for you guys. 10/29/11 in Queens was pretty wild too. 5" of paste during the day in October was insanity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Happy anniversary to the storm that brought down/damaged 60-70% of all trees in Buffalo.

I lived in West Seneca at the time.  Only had 13” at my location and our power was back on much sooner than most, only 3 1/2 days, but the destruction was unmatched.  Wish I took more video during the night but honestly once the power went out you couldn’t see anything and for the first time ever weather watching I felt my safety was in danger wandering around outside.  One thing I’ll never forgot was that sound the breaking branches would make.  That creak... creak... creak... SNAP... Pre smart phone days and we had to listen to the battery radio for any news updates.  Such a close 2nd on my all time list,

19D2A1E6-418B-4E2B-958C-DCDBFAAD83D6.jpeg

FECAC848-3430-46B9-A97E-87000B0F0059.jpeg

B28F64BE-9C53-40C9-B59B-A3DEC2C2C427.jpeg

DFF111A6-0F6C-4DFD-9B61-9442E30C4ABC.jpeg

B3D02712-3E0E-493F-AEF3-E17F6C04109D.jpeg

546158E5-A074-41A8-BA06-F386565D06F8.jpeg

• Like 4

I can't stop looking at that 6z run today (regardless of how ridiculous it is).  It's just awesome to see the potential this time of year when you mix tropical systems with seasonably arctic air.... That would be one of the  biggest storms in my lifetime (not snow, storm intensity)...a man can dream I guess.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh294-384.thumb.gif.8d088d9d37fae0d2518d09db7031811e.gif

• Like 3