Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

2007-2008

Lake Effect Summary - Nov 06 2007 to Nov 07 2007 - Storm Total Snow Map

Buf airport winds stayed at 
200/210...keeping temps in 30s...while city and north saw 250 winds. 
A new intense band formed ahead of the approaching trof and was 
perhaps enhanced by this additional wind boundary and brought 
several intense cells right up over the Buffalo Airport and on to 
western Genesee County. Over an inch of QPF fell in the form of very 
heavy graupel...which amounted to 2-3 inches in this narrow area. 
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The top analog for a winter based on QBO/NINO/Solar/etc....is 2007-2008. I'd take that winter pretty quickly.

The tug region did much better than WNY did.

image.png.4d1b7ddc975c60c4dc4d6f8f56860c1e.png

A lot of Gulf Low's that winter. Outside of LES, I'm assuming Western NY did pretty well with those. 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

A lot of Gulf Low's that winter. Outside of LES, I'm assuming Western NY did pretty well with those. 

Very good synoptic year, below average lake effect year for us. Slightly above average for tug. Toronto had a great year.

Insane cell about to move over my house. Is that thing rotating? @DeltaT13

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=BUF-N0Q-0-6#

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 3:43 PM, Revracer800 said:

Snow showers in the high peaks of the ADK'S. Whiteface mtn posted a video of snow falling. It's a chilly one here today, that wind makes it feel even colder. 

From people on the trails this week nearly every high peak has had some accumulating snow on it. Microspikes needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like another above normal month incoming?

image.thumb.png.1f61419ffc9257d114bd8583fcb2519e.png

image.thumb.png.61d7f6f24b14c510a8b8ba7aad6f25a6.png

I like that. The averages are still in the 50s for most of the region during this time period so an extended period of 60s and hopefully sunny weather would be nice. I enjoy winter but lets get a few weeks of sun and 60s/30s and then end of October switch to 30s and wet snow and lake effect/snow chances. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Through 9 months this year we are at a departure of +3.16 month spread out over all 9 months, or +28.5 total on the year. Has to be close to warmest year on record? (2012)

Right now we are at an average temp of 53.98 for the year.

2012 is ranked #1 and finished at 52.1

I don’t think you can use KBUF numbers with how their sensor was way hot for quite some time. I bet it’s one of the warmest years on record but I would question that we’re nearly 2 degrees above it at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I don’t think you can use KBUF numbers with how their sensor was way hot for quite some time. I bet it’s one of the warmest years on record but I would question that we’re nearly 2 degrees above it at this point. 

That's because Oct/Nov/Dec will lower that number substantially. I doubt we finish above 2012 with that low of a difference already. April/May brought down the average quite a bit. We should finish in the top 5 warmest though.

• Like 1

Fall. Pumpkin pie, apples, Halloween, the smell of freshly fallen leaves and...the inevitability of the GFS fantasy runs!!! 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

The fantasy in the making begins in the October 15th timeframe...and just for consistency it shows up in the 00z as well!!! Lmao...i missed these days...

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Fall. Pumpkin pie, apples, Halloween, the smell of freshly fallen leaves and...the inevitability of the GFS fantasy runs!!! 

The fantasy in the making begins in the October 15th timeframe...and just for consistency it shows up in the 00z as well!!! Lmao...i missed these days...

As far a GFS fantasy runs go this is tame and not too unrealistic for mid-late October. The fantasy runs are inevitable though lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Fantasy runs are the best runs.