• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

AFD from KBUF is stating low to mid 50's for highs Saturday...first widespread frost Sat night-Sun morning?

Yeah kbuf is going a little on the"warmer" side , atleast according to the P&C, mid-upper 40s for lows at buffalo, they jumped temps here a few degrees to the mid-upper 30s..

18 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah kbuf is going a little on the"warmer" side , atleast according to the P&C, mid-upper 40s for lows at buffalo, they jumped temps here a few degrees to the mid-upper 30s..

Yeah there is zero chance the temps at KBUF are that warm those 2 nights...got down to 42 at KBUF this morning and my backyard was 40.9...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cny rider said:

62F inside, 38F outside but no way am I turning on the heat or starting the pellet stove yet!

I closed all the windows in the house last night and managed to keep the temperature at 64 when I got up this morning.  The outside temperature fell to 37 here.  I’m with you it’s way too early to turn on the heat.  The sky is very milky this morning with smoke from the wildfires at high altitudes.  My wife went for a walk this morning and said she could smell smoke but I told her with her nose she probably was smelling the smoke in California, lol. Time to go rake the forests!:D

We are right at the average date when Arctic sea ice begins to increase again.  Things start to happen fast after this point with much colder nights and fleeting warm days....  Always exciting when we get to this turning point each year.   As a side note, its super sad to see that we used to have about 7 million square km of ice on this date, and we now have less than 4 million.  A huge ****ing difference....not good...not good at all. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.ea2b4bec9bb8dc95f392e82694182728.JPG

9 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

We are right at the average date when Arctic sea ice begins to increase again.  Things start to happen fast after this point with much colder nights and fleeting warm days....  Always exciting when we get to this turning point each year.   As a side note, its super sad to see that we used to have about 7 million square km of ice on this date, and we now have less than 4 million.  A huge ****ing difference....not good...not good at all. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.ea2b4bec9bb8dc95f392e82694182728.JPG

We are currently at the second lowest area of sea ice at this date. Almost 1/2 of where it used to be. Crazy to think about that.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Sep Temps

Buf- (+2.2)

Roc- (-0.4)

Watertown- (-0.8)

Aug Temps

Buf- (+2.2)

Roc- (+1.4)

Watertown- (+1.5)

July Temps

Buf- (+6.5)

Roc- (+4.8)

Watertown- (+5.8)

June Temps

Buf- (+0.8)

Roc- (+1.7)

Watertown- (+2.1)

So the Buffalo thermometer (ASOS) went wacky sometime in mid to late June it would seem. It's a shame we will have corrupted numbers forever in the system.  Oh well, guess it doesn't really mean all that much in the big picture.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone see the hurricane in the Mediterranean sea? So cool. I wonder if you could get a little tropical storm on Superior? 

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/09/16/storm-ianos-will-bring-severe-weather-to-greece-through-the-weekend/

There was one on Lake Huron back in 1996. Nothing since then or before. 

• Like 1

Screenshot_20200918-090214.png.082256a79

FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM
EDT SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures in the upper 20s expected.

* WHERE...Lewis county.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 8 AM EDT Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions will kill crops, other
  sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor
  plumbing.

i've been tracking my first frost/freeze date closely for about the last 10 years in Rochester.  It usually comes sometime in the 3rd or 4th week of October.  This is pretty unusual stuff here, almost 5 weeks ahead of schedule for the lake plain folks.  It's certainly going to speed up the garden "tear down"  time line down this year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

i've been tracking my first frost/freeze date closely for about the last 10 years in Rochester.  It usually comes sometime in the 3rd or 4th week of October.  This is pretty unusual stuff here, almost 5 weeks ahead of schedule for the lake plain folks.  It's certainly going to speed up the garden break time line down this year. 

Heart lake in the Dacks is already at 40% foliage. About 2 weeks ahead of schedule. I'll be there next weekend, should be close to peak. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

i've been tracking my first frost/freeze date closely for about the last 10 years in Rochester.  It usually comes sometime in the 3rd or 4th week of October.  This is pretty unusual stuff here, almost 5 weeks ahead of schedule for the lake plain folks.  It's certainly going to speed up the garden break time line down this year. 

I’m shocked to hear this.  In the northern Catskills we almost always have a frost by the 2nd half of September.  It’s not uncommon to have a frost in late August or early September.  This year it was Sept 15th (Tuesday) which seems about normal.  NWS Bing AFD mentions “high rural valleys” which describes us well.  I did not think there would be a 4-6 week difference....probably would have guessed +/-2 weeks.  

Leaves are turning in the hills, but they’re pretty dull thus far. 

2 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

I’m shocked to hear this.  In the northern Catskills we almost always have a frost by the 2nd half of September.  It’s not uncommon to have a frost in late August or early September.  This year it was Sept 15th (Tuesday) which seems about normal.  NWS Bing AFD mentions “high rural valleys” which describes us well.  I did not think there would be a 4-6 week difference....probably would have guessed +/-2 weeks.  

Leaves are turning in the hills, but they’re pretty dull thus far. 

We dont get a frost in Hamburg until Late October. Lake Erie is pretty warm most of fall. 

• Like 1

Very interesting.  I guess I didn’t realize how far inland the effect of the warm lake water really extended in the Rochester/Buffalo areas.  

I lived about 4 miles East of Pulaski (very close to where Wolfie just moved from) and it seemed like Lake Ontario really only influenced surface temps In the area from roughly I81 West toward the lake.  By the time you were a mile or two East of I81 you were mostly away from the biggest surface temp influence.  Slowly gaining elevation toward the East probably plays a bigger role than I realized.  

• Like 2