Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

48 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Na, I think we agree completely about the skiing.  Good mid-winter, very few thaw/freeze cycles and the powder held in the woods well this year.  It is snow depth, not totals.  I think for me its more that I'm surprised that it didn't "feel" as low as the depths and totals were.  If you asked the average ski/boarder who's not a snow weenie, I think they would never have known the depth was near a 25 year low.  And where I am, if there is decent pack preservation, I don't think you notice the difference between 250" and 350".  There was a solid 36" base for weeks, even at my place at 1850.

The fact that we got that heavy, wet snow to establish a base after the grinch storm and it never thawed was way salvaged the season for us. Further east, where they got screwed, never really recovered. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Na, I think we agree completely about the skiing.  Good mid-winter, very few thaw/freeze cycles and the powder held in the woods well this year.  It is snow depth, not totals.  I think for me its more that I'm surprised that it didn't "feel" as low as the depths and totals were.  If you asked the average ski/boarder who's not a snow weenie, I think they would never have known the depth was near a 25 year low.  And where I am, if there is decent pack preservation, I don't think you notice the difference between 250" and 350".  There was a solid 36" base for weeks, even at my place at 1850.

I think that hits the nail on the head, and even not skiers/boarders... if you just ask random people who know nothing about climo they think this was a good winter because there was a decent snowpack for so long and it didn't rain often, ha.

59 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yep, definitely not the worst and redeemable from a ski season perspective. I have skied 4-5 days a week since the start of Jan and I had very, very few crappy days where I was just like "forget it out here" and those were due to wind/cold not snow conditions.

I wish we could've gotten your true impression of winter without any records to compare to.  Just a blind test study.  Like if you didn't have any Randolph data (none of us did) and it was just a pure winter observation.... it would've been interesting.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I wish we could've gotten your true impression of winter without any records to compare to.  Just a blind test study.  Like if you didn't have any Randolph data (none of us did) and it was just a pure winter observation.... it would've been interesting.

Damned Internet has ruined most surprises these days. LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, timp said:

Still full coverage here but I have a feeling by the end of the coming week even my piles will be struggling to hold on. Excited for the warmth and sun. Definitely breaking out the grill this weekend. 

9FE1A8F7-764C-4B69-9053-5E254326273D.jpeg

Love that mentality... classic Vermont.  Enjoy each season for what it's worth. This is going to be an epic stretch of sun and high diurnal changes.  Chilly nights and mild days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

The fact that we got that heavy, wet snow to establish a base after the grinch storm and it never thawed was way salvaged the season for us. Further east, where they got screwed, never really recovered. 

Absolutely...That was the game changing event this season for the northern greens.  Without that storm cycle (MLKish I think) the ski season is completely different up here.  That was the storm that got the woods in play here.

That’s how I’m thinking.  Below average season weather wise but the skiing was fantastic for 2 months straight.  There’s something to be said for consistent powder surface to ski on.  Can’t remember a stretch without a thaw like we had this year.

skied killington today and it was firm as expected.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:32 PM, PhineasC said:

OK, good info. Agree on not spiking any footballs just yet. The Randolph data indicates that an April wet snow bomb or two can still materialize to add 15-20" of snow to the totals at the 11th hour. It's even possible in May, rarely.

That’s right, there’s still a long way to go on the potential snowfall front up here in the mountains of NNE.  Even down here at our elevation, average snowfall from this point out is still ~15 inches, and it should be even more up at your elevation.  It’s just a matter of when we get back in the storm track.

16 minutes ago, Zeppy said:

Stratton to glastenbury and towards Mitch looks to be in good shape, lasting impact from the early season 4'er?  I don't see these snow depth maps posted here, are they not highly regarded?

nsm_depth_2021032005_Northeast.jpg

They are solid . Just haven’t been used much to show a impressive snowpack this season . S Canada looks pretty pitiful on that map above 

Was planning on Bretton woods next weekend, let’s not track a low into Quebec now like some modeling shows 

20 minutes ago, Zeppy said:

Stratton to glastenbury and towards Mitch looks to be in good shape, lasting impact from the early season 4'er?  I don't see these snow depth maps posted here, are they not highly regarded?

nsm_depth_2021032005_Northeast.jpg

I think that map is pretty decent in showing areas of greatest coverage.  The 4fter you mentioned was all but wiped out though in late DEC.  That is all "new" snowpack from like mid JAN on.  The Glastenbury area down to Mitch is always last to melt out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

BA8CF26F-E989-4BF4-AF49-2A2CB41D419A.jpegSolid glacier, going to take allot of warm sunny days to melt 

Yea for sure, looks like little to no sun there.  So many house in that Bromley Stratton corridor are so densely wooded, couple with the increased snowfall and better natural retention anyway, takes a while to melt out totally.

52 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I think that map is pretty decent in showing areas of greatest coverage.  The 4fter you mentioned was all but wiped out though in late DEC.  That is all "new" snowpack from like mid JAN on.  The Glastenbury area down to Mitch is always last to melt out.

Good point. Here is Dec 28.

nsm_depth_2020122805_Northeast.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeppy said:

Good point. Here is Dec 28.

nsm_depth_2020122805_Northeast.jpg

The worst grinch storm almost imaginable . That was a treat and you just had to laugh at that one.

Total lack of torches since then for NNE has given that prolonged period of good skiing (lack of much arctic cold has been helpful as well)  since in almost all below average years there is generally plenty at the mountains..in particular near upslope locals . Could otherwise be called a very boring stretch of weather up North .

We shall see if we can avoid book end cutters that crap on the ski conditions next weekend 

Man, I haven't seen such consistency 7-10 days out for an all out ragging rain storm up here since the grinch.  Not saying Friday will be the same, but every model seems to have locked into a soaking rain Friday.  Going to put a big dent in the ski season if it happens that way.  The following week looks like there's more chances for something other than rain, but by then we are really out in clown range.

52 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Man, I haven't seen such consistency 7-10 days out for an all out ragging rain storm up here since the grinch.  Not saying Friday will be the same, but every model seems to have locked into a soaking rain Friday.  Going to put a big dent in the ski season if it happens that way.  The following week looks like there's more chances for something other than rain, but by then we are really out in clown range.

Get your skiing in next week. We plan to go out every day all day as a grand finale sort of thing. I suspect the cutter will verify. We are “due” for a high QPF event...

4 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

We shall see if we can avoid book end cutters that crap on the ski conditions next weekend 

3 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Man, I haven't seen such consistency 7-10 days out for an all out ragging rain storm up here since the grinch.  Not saying Friday will be the same, but every model seems to have locked into a soaking rain Friday.  Going to put a big dent in the ski season if it happens that way.

I’m not sure why folks are so worried about getting into the warm sector of a storm at this point in the season?  The relevant sections of the snowpack have pretty much gone isothermal at this point, so it’s not like warmth is going to ruin any pristine midwinter surfaces – it’s all spring snow now.  The only thing to even concern oneself about with regard to rain at this point in the season is the potential inconvenience that arises if you happen to have to ski plans on the specific day it rains.  Other than that, rain on this type of snow is pretty much irrelevant, the snowpack just stays as corn snow (or frozen granular if temperatures are below freezing).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I’m not sure why folks are so worried about getting into the warm sector of a storm at this point in the season?  The relevant sections of the snowpack have pretty much gone isothermal at this point, so it’s not like warmth is going to ruin any pristine midwinter surfaces – it’s all spring snow now.  The only thing to even concern oneself about with regard to rain at this point in the season is the potential inconvenience that arises if you happen to have to ski plans on the specific day it rains.  Other than that, rain on this type of snow is pretty much irrelevant, the snowpack just stays as corn snow (or frozen granular if temperatures are below freezing).

Very true, the rain on this past Thursday in svt just soaked right into the snow pack and the impact on conditions has been negligible. By the afternoon today at Killington it was full on mashed potatoes from 3000’ down. 

36 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

High dews and rain will accelerate melting and shorten the season, right? The grinch storm melted like 15” in one day here and could have kept going if I had more snow. I don’t think a lot of these ski places could really take something like that.