Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Braving the hard pack conditions today. 

Skating yesterday realized we haven’t had to flood the rink since January. That’s  first. It is always fun to see how the winter will unfold. We haven’t had one storm over 9”, and yet, the access to quality winter fun has not been deterred. 

6 weeks to go

6B2C473F-D824-40F8-8C5C-1A70839F51D1.jpeg

• Like 2

Anyone catch that fireball over VT or the noise last night!?

I had no idea what it was, at first thought it was fireworks very close by, but then the sound tailed off oddly like a crackling.  I figured then it had to be an F-35 out of BTV flying low.  I was walking the dog on the Rec Path in Stowe (right about the time I took that photo of snowpack in my previous post in this thread).

The dog freaked out, slipped her collar and started to run home.  I got her to stop after the noise ended and she was just sitting in the Rec Path shaking.

I even text my wife about 15 minutes later when we got home.  Auto-correct changed a couple things (we call our dog "the bean" but it sometimes changes it to a beanie hat, ha) but that was crazy to find out it wasn't a fighter jet flying low, but a Meteor that entered the atmosphere over Mount Mansfield State Forest.  It was loud!

Untitled.jpg.9ea467b2bb94b1e1b8157985bef5c149.jpg

MeteorWatch.thumb.jpg.22892e2059e106e4d82d135e818786c9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I had no idea what it was, at first thought it was fireworks very close by, but then the sound tailed off oddly like a crackling.  I figured then it had to be an F-35 out of BTV flying low.  I was walking the dog on the Rec Path in Stowe (right about the time I took that photo of snowpack in my previous post in this thread).

The dog freaked out, slipped her collar and started to run home.  I got her to stop after the noise ended and she was just sitting in the Rec Path shaking.

I even text my wife about 15 minutes later when we got home.  Auto-correct changed a couple things (we call our dog "the bean" but it sometimes changes it to a beanie hat) but that was crazy to find out it wasn't a fighter jet flying low, but a Meteor that entered the atmosphere over Mount Mansfield State Forest.  It was loud!

I do remember hearing some loud boom yesterday evening. I had no idea what it was... I was thinking maybe a gunshot?

But if that’s what it was, then it all makes sense now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Looks like the BTV airport camera caught the meteor.

https://m.imgur.com/1AqNCIa

Ha that thing cruises right over my house on that trajectory.  Didn't see anything as we were looking southeast at the time when the noise hit.

I had no idea something like that could be so loud.  It was one of those "WTF is happening right now" moments.  Never seen my dog like that either... she was like "instinct tells me this is bad, we gotta get out of here right now."

“Heard and felt it from in the house midway between Stowe and Morrisville. Had no idea what it was!” one woman wrote.

“Heard and felt it in Waterbury, Vermont. Rattled the house and windows!” another added.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha that thing cruises right over my house on that trajectory.  Didn't see anything as we were looking southeast at the time when the noise hit.

I had no idea something like that could be so loud.  It was one of those "WTF is happening right now" moments.  Never seen my dog like that either... she was like "instinct tells me this is bad, we gotta get out of here right now."

“Heard and felt it from in the house midway between Stowe and Morrisville. Had no idea what it was!” one woman wrote.

“Heard and felt it in Waterbury, Vermont. Rattled the house and windows!” another added.

This is crazy. I didn’t hear or feel anything out my way but that trajectory is right over my place. Would have been fun to experience it! 

7 minutes ago, timp said:

This is crazy. I didn’t hear or feel anything out my way but that trajectory is right over my place. Would have been fun to experience it! 

Yeah that would’ve gone right over you.  I had other friends who assumed it was snow shedding off their metal roof.  I mean you hear it and your mind just assumes it’s anything but a meteor, ha.  Right at like 5:40pm.  Didn’t have a blender on or something?

56 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that would’ve gone right over you.  I had other friends who assumed it was snow shedding off their metal roof.  I mean you hear it and your mind just assumes it’s anything but a meteor, ha.  Right at like 5:40pm.  Didn’t have a blender on or something?

Yeah I honestly have no clue. The wife doesn’t remember hearing anything either so maybe we were sheltered from it somehow. Bit of a bummer considering it’s a pretty rare phenomenon. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Neither saw nor herd the meteor's death.  However, the bolded words reminded me of when our late lamented Abby the Lab was about a year old.  She and my wife were walking up our road at dusk when the tree above them unloaded - very noisily - a flock of turkeys.  Abby didn't bolt but merely tried to sink into the ground and disappear.  My wife's adrenalin spiked as well.

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I even text my wife about 15 minutes later when we got home.  Auto-correct changed a couple things (we call our dog "the bean" but it sometimes changes it to a beanie hat) but that was crazy to find out it wasn't a fighter jet flying low, but a Meteor that entered the atmosphere over Mount Mansfield State Forest.  It was loud!

I just happened to step outside, happened to be looking to my northwest and that thing flew by and fizzled out. I didn't hear any explosion but it was bright as hell. Just dumb luck timing on my part but cool to see.

• Like 1

Didn’t catch it on cam here and I didn’t notice it while out with the birds, but I do remember one point where they all got on high alert looking at the sky. May have been something else though. Reminds me of the one I got on cam overnight a few years back. I forget the date though. 

Really stoked about conditions this week. BW has done a great job with keeping things in shape so far and this week should feature some great “spring like” conditions. I do wish they would run the Zephyr lift every day. When it is not running it cuts off easy access to half the mountain and my favorite terrain unless you want to wait in line for 30 mins for the gondola. Hate those things. 

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Didn’t catch it on cam here and I didn’t notice it while out with the birds, but I do remember one point where they all got on high alert looking at the sky. May have been something else though. Reminds me of the one I got on cam overnight a few years back. I forget the date though. 

We had one years ago light up the sky and sounded like fireworks cracklings. I thought it was friends of mine lighting fireworks off at 2am until I saw the tail of smoke still sort of glowing in the sky. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We had one years ago light up the sky and sounded like fireworks cracklings. I thought it was friends of mine lighting fireworks off at 2am until I saw the tail of smoke still sort of glowing in the sky. 

Found it

20160517005055.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not surprised I missed it. Apparently yesterday afternoon there was a pretty bad accident at the entrance to BW ski resort. The back wall of my office is one giant window and looks right out at the entrance to the ski resort and 302. I heard nothing, saw nothing, didn't even notice the emergency vehicles. The rapture probably could have happened and I would have been oblivious...

12 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I'm not surprised I missed it. Apparently yesterday afternoon there was a pretty bad accident at the entrance to BW ski resort. The back wall of my office is one giant window and looks right out at the entrance to the ski resort and 302. I heard nothing, saw nothing, didn't even notice the emergency vehicles. The rapture probably could have happened and I would have been oblivious...

That engrossed in your work? LOL

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Bluebird day. 

7B7231A7-256C-4A2D-A673-478D30600697.thumb.jpeg.a0af326bdd5158ad8718d7d7a10c0032.jpeg

This is Bretton Woods at its finest...you could maybe add in a similar day later into March or April when temps are around 40-45ish at the base and you have corn snow going on. But these bluebird days late in the season make the presidentials stand out so much. Almost blinding to look at without goggles or sunglasses. 

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Neither saw nor herd the meteor's death.  However, the bolded words reminded me of when our late lamented Abby the Lab was about a year old.  She and my wife were walking up our road at dusk when the tree above them unloaded - very noisily - a flock of turkeys.  Abby didn't bolt but merely tried to sink into the ground and disappear.  My wife's adrenalin spiked as well.

That's classic...  Dogs are pretty smart with instincts.  Hiding or running, they try to adapt to the situation, or just get scared/startled.  Surprise birds scare me, though, ha.

If we are hiking in the summer and get out on a ski trail (which acts as a giant tilted meadow), the grouse taking off straight upward when you get near them scare the crap out fo me.

It's hard to imagine something moving 47,000 mph. That's twice as fast as the space shuttle reentry velocity. The amount of energy even a small object carries at that speed is crazy. I remember reading about a cosmic particle that entered the atmosphere and was detected some years ago moving at 99.9999999% the speed of light. They said the amount of energy it carried would like like getting hit by a fastball from a major league pitcher.

• Like 1

Spent the weekend at Baxter State Park in Maine, and saw the meteor driving west on 302 near Fryeburg ME on the trip home last night. Can't imagine how bright that thing would have been in the middle of the night! I didn't hear any noise since I was in my car, but I don't know I've heard of any other eyewitness accounts from the state of Maine yet. I was basically a couple miles from the NH border. Pretty wild!

Baxter State Park was absolutely stunning, though very cold and windy. We made a push for the summit of Mount Katahdin on Saturday with the hope of skiing down Abol Slide, but it was just too cold and windy to venture far above treeline...and the snow was a little too slabby for my liking. Ended up skiing back down the hiking trail, which may have been more precarious than the slide...but sometimes that's how it goes in New England!

baxter_9.jpg

baxter_10.jpg

baxter_11.jpg

• Like 9

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

Last night I checked the boards before heading off to bed and found 0.1” of graupel, but that’s all I’ve seen for accumulation for this event thus far at our site.  The models suggests the chance for a bit more precipitation today, but it’s also warming up, so I don’t expect there would be too much additional accumulation.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 30.2 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 16.5 inches