Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Busted overnight.  Thought we’d get 3-5” last night, turned into 0.5-2.0”.  Extremely high winds and no loft to the snow.  Definitely would’ve stacked a bit without so much turbulence.

We’ll see what today brings.

Yeah, here too.  Couple inches blown all over.  Very fine snow right now that doesn’t look promising..but we’ll see.

16 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Yeah, here too.  Couple inches blown all over.  Very fine snow right now that doesn’t look promising..but we’ll see.

The daytime today was always supposed to be sort of a lull with another increase in moisture and weak dynamics this evening.  We’ll see like you said, ha.

The differences between GFS and EURO at 18z and 00z last night were large.  Euro schooled most models on this one.

8694428D-0897-4992-ABB4-BCFD4BFC6807.thumb.jpeg.751417cbdf776d3b004b80f925c24d0d.jpeg

3ED8D721-A5CB-4ECC-A0CE-7898C2EFCA86.thumb.jpeg.79be1acdbc53c2ece98a4bdb7cf8f291.jpeg

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

The fun starts next week.  Mud season.  Every year is so different.   It was dry this fall so the moisture was not deep but then we got the Grinch storm but don't know how much moisture got down deep before freeze up.

Gosh probably 10+ years ago, my kids and I were on our way to MRG during late March and I decided to try the Warren Mountain Road which takes you from Roxbury to Warren and is substantially unpaved...big mistake. I got about half way up and had to go back in reverse, lucky we didn't get stuck up there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I remember looking at the 18z Euro yesterday evening and noticed it was very paltry, seemed like a bust could be on the table because some of the amounts forecasted for the Greens were getting really up there.

Yeah all the other models were pretty strong.  Euro just never bought into it.

We’ll see.  Doesn’t take much to fart another 4-5” this evening.

Its the ratios and the wind.  We can make 5-6” from like 0.15-0.20”... but the strong winds have just hammered it on the ground.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Angus said:

Gosh probably 10+ years ago, my kids and I were on our way to MRG during late March and I decided to try the Warren Mountain Road which takes you from Roxbury to Warren and is substantially unpaved...big mistake. I got about half way up and had to go back in reverse, lucky we didn't get stuck up there.

Haha.  That road has some legendary ruts.  It will swallow school busses.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah all the other models were pretty strong.  Euro just never bought into it.

We’ll see.  Doesn’t take much to fart another 4-5” this evening.

Its the ratios and the wind.  We can make 5-6” from like 0.15-0.20”... but the strong winds have just hammered it on the ground.

Well, it better pick up.  I'm snowmobiling in Lamoille and Franklin counties tomorrow.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Busted overnight.  Thought we’d get 3-5” last night, turned into 0.5-2.0”.  Extremely high winds and no loft to the snow.  Definitely would’ve stacked a bit without so much turbulence.

We’ll see what today brings.

We picked up a couple tenths of an inch of accumulation last night at our site, which was certainly in line with the small flakes I’d seen falling.  I figured we were just a bit too far east for the moisture the radar was showing last night, and I’d see more accumulation this morning on my drive through the western slopes to BTV, but at least in the valleys, there wasn’t anything more notable than what we picked up.

40 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Haha.  That road has some legendary ruts.  It will swallow school busses.

A few months back when you mentioned driving up to some hunting cabin and earning the respect of your future father-in-law?? made me think of it...hadn't thought about it in years! Yeah, those ruts were deep!

53 minutes ago, Angus said:

A few months back when you mentioned driving up to some hunting cabin and earning the respect of your future father-in-law?? made me think of it...hadn't thought about it in years! Yeah, those ruts were deep!

Yes, that is on the opposite side of the valley from the road going to Warren.

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

Today’s event in the northern Greens has been very disappointing.

The moose is constipated.  At some point he'll release his gas.  Probably when no one expects it.  Eternal optimists here in Vermont.

It's just so cold and blustery out there.  Some of the woods are skiing nicely with the fresh wind drifts but I'm over this cold at this point in the season to be honest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The moose is constipated.  At some point he'll release his gas.  Probably when no one expects it.  Eternal optimists here in Vermont.

It's just so cold and blustery out there.  Some of the woods are skiing nicely with the fresh wind drifts but I'm over this cold at this point in the season to be honest.

Too cold...I'm usually a "just add more layers" skier, but its not worth bundling the kids up and going out for an hour with these wind chills of about -20 on the hill.  The wind just goes right through you today.  Tmrw looks like standard cold and breezy, which I can deal with.  It just never had that snowy look today; maybe we'll be surprised tonight.  One of the only times I've seen an under-performer up here.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Crying for ya Momma? Next week should be jugs and mugs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it was one of the coldest days I’ve ever skied. It wasn’t my first time skiing with temps in the single digits and teens, but the winds made it especially brutal, and I felt it even with my layers and gloves and jacket. 

I wouldn’t mind if it’s 15 degrees warmer than what it was today. Hoping next weekend has another snow opportunity.

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

It’s frigid out there today. One of the coldest days this season, IMO. 

I couldn’t get warm.  That’s the worst type of cold... wind and evaporating snow.  It’s a damp cold with the moisture but also not enough moisture to produce meaningful snow.  Arctic sand snow type conditions.

The wind was obscene here today with gusts to 50mph at times even at 1500ft when they’d roll out of the Notch and then funnel into the base area...especially late in the day.  Could see plumes of blowing snow off the ski trails go like several hundred feet in the air at times and move across the forested hillsides.  Just a lot of turbulence and chaos in the flow today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I couldn’t get warm.  That’s the worst type of cold... wind and evaporating snow.  It’s a damp cold with the moisture but also not enough moisture to produce meaningful snow.  Arctic sand snow type conditions.

The wind was obscene here today with gusts to 50mph at times even at 1500ft when they’d roll out of the Notch and then funnel into the base area...especially late in the day.  Could see plumes of blowing snow off the ski trails go like several hundred feet in the air at times and move across the forested hillsides.  Just a lot of turbulence and chaos in the flow today.

Huh, I didn’t think it felt so bad today.  Maybe because I found nice stashes in the woods and was doing laps.  

My days off are Tues and weds, temps are looking good for some skiing. At this point in the season, I echo the sentiments of it not needing to be below zero or in the single digits anymore. Still not ready to say good bye to the snow. Im with Phin and would really like to enjoy one good synoptic event. But seriously, it can be a lovely winter day at 30 degrees!

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Getting some light snow but nothing major. Seems like this uplsope event busted. Onto a big warm up next week. 

Yeah, even the 6z models had it snowing steadily right now but nothing but a few wind whipped flurries moving through.

6z NAM sim rad product had a nice upslope pulse this evening from 4-9pm that didn’t happen, lol.  Pretty substantial short term busts for GFS/NAM on this one.

I won’t lie, I’m looking forward to the warm up. 

D0E1BBF9-28EC-49B3-A356-A5FB2C79BD52.thumb.png.1abc69acf3a720f3af4056d516b185bd.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

My days off are Tues and weds, temps are looking good for some skiing. At this point in the season, I echo the sentiments of it not needing to be below zero or in the single digits anymore. Still not ready to say good bye to the snow. Im with Phin and would really like to enjoy one good synoptic event. But seriously, it can be a lovely winter day at 30 degrees!

Are you in the restaurant business?