Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

8 hours ago, jculligan said:

This turned into quite the event in my neighborhood. The power went out around 9am this morning, and I relocated to a friend's house in North Conway to work for the day. While I was gone, several trees came down on wires across my driveway and I currently cannot get back to my house. Power remains out, and the house has no heat or water. I'll be spending the night in North Conway and hopefully all is restored by morning.

We were without power for exactly 24 hours following Tropical Storm Isaias in August, so this is the second prolonged outage I have experienced in six months.

That downslope stuff was nasty up there. Lots of problems in Bethel as well. 70 plus gusts recorded up there

57 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 5.2” Snow/0.14” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 23.0

Snow Density: 4.3% H2O

Temperature: 14.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 to 15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

Those are some amazing ratios. Heading for Stowe today!

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Should be some deeper dust on crust but even if the base is firm, 4-6” is still fun.  Still snowing pretty good!

I’m seeing an additional 0.6” here since the morning clearing, so nothing like last night’s rates, but there’s still a nice steady snow coming down out there, with medium-sized upslope flakes topping out in the 1 to 1.5 cm range.

The BTV NWS AFD does mention an increase in moisture tonight though, so we’ll be able to see what transpires during that period.  I suspect that in many locations in March, the “good news” they start off with could easily be taken sarcastically, but you know in this case with the BTV NWS, it’s not:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

619 AM EST Wed Mar 3 2021

NEAR TERM /THROUGH THURSDAY/...

As of 608 AM EST Wednesday...Good news more energy arrives toward 00z this evening with better moisture, so anticipate another round of light upslope snow showers to develop. Temps warm into the mid 20s to l/m 30s today with winds shifting to the northwest by midday.

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

Those are some amazing ratios. Heading for Stowe today!

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Should be some deeper dust on crust but even if the base is firm, 4-6” is still fun.  Still snowing pretty good!

We had 0.14” of L.E. here from the event as of morning observations, and now that most of the CoCoRaHS reports for the morning are in, I’m seeing 0.10” to 0.20” of L.E. in general around the area.  It’s certainly not a solid resurfacing yet, but it should be enough to up the fun factor of turns a bit.  We’ll see if Mother Nature decides to keep working on it over the next few days.

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

That downslope stuff was nasty up there. Lots of problems in Bethel as well. 70 plus gusts recorded up there

Rt 2 was blocked by fallen trees and lines down both east (Rome) and west (Dixfield) but power only blinked briefly here.  Had we not had the on-demand gennie put in last spring, we'd probably would've been lights out all day.  :P

Power has never even flickered once since we moved up here in May. 

The standby generator log says it has not been run (other than normal service cycles) since 2017 when it was installed.

I figured our power would be going out all the time here, but so far that hasn't been the case.

We lose power at our place in MD every other week for a few hours. 

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Rt 2 was blocked by fallen trees and lines down both east (Rome) and west (Dixfield) but power only blinked briefly here.  Had we not had the on-demand gennie put in last spring, we'd probably would've been lights out all day.  :P

SR still having major power issues 

20210303_101307.jpg

20210303_101311.jpg

23 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I have to get one of those. how many KW is yours?

On 3/2/2021 at 7:42 AM, backedgeapproaching said:

Wow, that's a solid pickup from squalls--nice.

Nothing here but a dusting.  NW winds just don't do much here, feel like MAYBE gusted to 40.  Had no problem sleeping.

I was surprised to get that much, of course I can't be 100% sure because of the wind, but that was the constant across a wide area. It snowed a little in the morning, stopped and then started up again around 2:30 and was still going at 10 when I hit the sack. 

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

13kw Generac.  Machine was 3 grand but with base, hookup and buying/filling a couple of 100-gal propane tanks it was a 10k install.

Whats up with Maine and power outages? I am guessing lots of rural areas and trees? My neighbor is a lineman for Eversource here in CT and he is sent to Maine all the time to help with restoration work. I saw him yesterday and he was being sent up there to do 5 days of 16 on 8 off. He loves it though as he is on the clock the second he gets in the truck. The out of state work is a goldmine for lineman.  He said they get paid their regular rate of $52 an hour even when sleeping in the hotel and double time when actually working. 

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

Whats up with Maine and power outages? I am guessing lots of rural areas and trees? My neighbor is a lineman for Eversource here in CT and he is sent to Maine all the time to help with restoration work. I saw him yesterday and he was being sent up there to do 5 days of 16 on 8 off. He loves it though as he is on the clock the second he gets in the truck.

There's a lot of woods and outside of coastal areas, interior Maine isn't prone to many wind events greater than 50-60mph. So you have lots of tall trees getting knocked around by winds 50-60+ like they had downwind of the mountains. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There's a lot of woods and outside of coastal areas, interior Maine isn't prone to many wind events greater than 50-60mph. So you have lots of tall trees getting knocked around by winds 50-60+ like they had downwind of the mountains. 

Also, Maine's lower population density means more miles of line per customer.  It also has the highest percentage of its land in forests of any state, with only NH even close.  (VT and WV compete for the bronze.)

Edit:  Doublechecked and the gap from 2 to 3 is less than I thought.  Top 5:
Maine:  89.5
NH:   84.3
WV:  79.0
VT:   77.8
AL:   70.6
No others reach 70.  ND has only 1.7% forests.

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Also, Maine's lower population density means more miles of line per customer.  It also has the highest percentage of its land in forests of any state, with only NH even close.  (VT and WV compete for the bronze.)

Yeah he's told me some stories where like 5 miles of lines are like completely destroyed and only serve like 2 houses. 

He did say its like the top pick for lineman when they get sent out of state. Beautiful scenery and the people there are really nice to them and bring them food, drinks, etc.  They deal with some terrible people here in CT and other states during outages.  These guys work 16 hour straight shifts in bad weather dealing with deadly electricity to try and get your power back on. Though I would imagine most have generators there and are use to outages. Is losing power for like over a week common?