Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

40 minutes ago, mreaves said:

You’re down in town right?  I-89 between exit 5 and exit 6 has been pretty bad I heard. That section down through exit 3 is the worse for weather. It tops out at something like 1850’ just south of exit 5. Some of my scariest drives have come on that section of road. 

Yup, I’m right near the university.

It’s been a fun evening, definitely feels like deep winter has returned.

1.7” new. 16 degrees

We've had two separate rounds of brief squalls here; the first a little after 5pm, and the second rolled through between 9:30-10:00pm. The cumulative total has been 0.4" so definitely nothing to write home about at this point. As expected, the bigger story has been the temperature drop so far; from around 40F at 4pm to 15F now. Back to deep winter for the time being.

Looks like Hermit Lake picked up 3" in squalls overnight, but with a current air temp of -16F I'm all set with touring up there this morning ha. Between yesterday's rain and today's arctic blast, this will be my first time missing back-to-back mornings since before Christmas! -3F here at 1500' right now, which is a tie for my low for the winter.

• Like 1

Wind is roaring but so far the generator hasn't been needed.  Spreading ashes on the icy driveway (ice plus a bit of snow from an overnight flurry) was an adventure - probably 2/3 was blown to who knows where.  Gusts probably near 40, twigs scattered about, thin clouds and -1 at 7 AM.  Makes 22 of 23 years March has had a subzero morning.  In 2010, my warmest March, the low was 11.

Managed to get out for a quick lap at Black Mountain around 7:30 this morning. I would call it "boilerplate" conditions. The upper portion of the mountain definitely had a heavy glazing yesterday, and any ski tracks that were made in the soft wet snow conditions lower on the mountain froze into hard, impenetrable ruts. No trail maintenance was done during the night. Between the sketchy snow conditions, plus all the crap that has blown down (sticks, twigs, pine needles, etc.)...I think it's safe to say it's some of the worst inbounds skiing I've ever experienced lol.

Normally I skin in a base layer and very light shell but today I went full arctic gear with puffy, balaclava, helmet and goggles on the uphill. One lap was good enough.

Back at home, we're up to 5F and my sheltered anemometer has registered a peak gust of 39 mph so far. It's cranking out there.

Got some snow coming it looks like tomorrow.

A couple waves but snow growth looks pretty good.  Could be a refresh.  With no synoptic storms we need to keep limping along with butter on some bread.

Euro is the lightest...

706A1E2F-A111-44CE-9F59-D6C55263B4B8.thumb.png.f2294d3c5009b43dbe94111fd3642425.png

GFS is the heaviest... this would be a good shot for the Northern Greens.

797955C5-CD8A-4A1F-BBC2-E0BF96EB042C.thumb.png.10016862529d1dd34ace2e1f2634714d.png

GGEM

7B880220-19A9-4A0F-A6D1-A9E91C1D9B5B.thumb.png.7f9ab61099b6be85cd854d656ffa2a44.png

NAM

B6A7C5FF-3AE7-43FB-A4B3-A78E6912007E.thumb.png.d4428a4f8539532a1fc08bd27f722f10.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I received 2" in heavy snow squalls last evening.  Exactly as the GFS and Euro predicted my low was 0F around sunrise.

Nice roar in the trees with lots of blowing snow after the squalls.  

how the heck were you able to measure? i saw some on the ground last night when I looked out the window, but by the time I got up, it was a wind-blown memory

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, decent upslope signature on a potent NW flow. I could see another one of my famous 1.5" of fluff tomorrow. Those are dime a dozen around here. :) 

J. Spin will be racking up 3-4 inches of fluff down at his spot.

Some models have like 0.40” water over JSpin (Canadian HRRR) lol.  I bet on an ensemble he’d had some 10-12” members ha.

Theres some workable QPF on the models over this way...that’s not the worst signal.