• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

High wind warning issued for my area. Wind gusts to 65 mph tomorrow. I'm not sure I have ever experienced such severity of wind combined with the projected low temperatures. Pretty extreme event shaping up.

One of the things I have noticed in my location, however, is that sometimes we effectively get "blocked" from northwesterly winds...presumably due to a mesoscale effect produced by the Presidential barrier which is immediately upstream. I'm sure this localized "bubble" can be more/less pronounced due to the exact direction/speed of the wind, as well as the presence (or lack thereof) of temperature inversions...but since I've moved up here, I've noticed the local wind minimum regularly presents itself on guidance, often times near the Fryeburg area in particular. So...we will see how this manifests itself with tonight/tomorrow's event.

Had a little sleet/graupel/rain around 1:30-2:00 and then some clear blue skies and I figured it had fizzled.  Around 4:30 the squall came through starting as graupel and quickly changing to all snow.  Temp down to 25.5° off a high of 38.6°  Had a big ole .09" of rain.

4 hours ago, jculligan said:

High wind warning issued for my area. Wind gusts to 65 mph tomorrow. I'm not sure I have ever experienced such severity of wind combined with the projected low temperatures. Pretty extreme event shaping up.

One of the things I have noticed in my location, however, is that sometimes we effectively get "blocked" from northwesterly winds...presumably due to a mesoscale effect produced by the Presidential barrier which is immediately upstream. I'm sure this localized "bubble" can be more/less pronounced due to the exact direction/speed of the wind, as well as the presence (or lack thereof) of temperature inversions...but since I've moved up here, I've noticed the local wind minimum regularly presents itself on guidance, often times near the Fryeburg area in particular. So...we will see how this manifests itself with tonight/tomorrow's event.

4 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Some very impressive snow squalls have just passed through. Moderate to heavy snow, strong wind gusts and blowing snow.

Reminds me of 2/14/2015 in the mid-Atlantic.

You’re down in town right?  I-89 between exit 5 and exit 6 has been pretty bad I heard. That section down through exit 3 is the worse for weather. It tops out at something like 1850’ just south of exit 5. Some of my scariest drives have come on that section of road.