Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Well, it’s 31 and raining from this current storm, so...

My man, you have got to take that plunge and move north to a snowier climate one of these days.  I know it can seem intimidating, but you’ve just got to dive in with both feet – I think you’re the kind of guy that could pull it off.  Talk to some of the folks here in the thread that have made that sort of move – most of them will tell you it’s one of the best decisions they’ve ever made.  If 44-45° N latitude isn’t enough, just keep heading north.  Go for it and get rid of dealing with those winter rains!

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

My man, you have got to take that plunge and move north to a snowier climate one of these days.  I know it can seem intimidating, but you’ve just got to dive in with both feet – I think you’re the kind of guy that could pull it off.  Talk to some of the folks here in the thread that have made that sort of move – most of them will tell you it’s one of the best decisions they’ve ever made.  If 44-45° N latitude isn’t enough, just keep heading north.  Go for it and get rid of dealing with those winter rains!

LOL I was jokingly thinking the same thing today. Maybe Arctic circle?

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Heard they shutdown the fore runner due to ice and wind

Oh we lost the Gondola first because those cabins are like kites... the FourRunner hung on for another couple hours but kept getting auto-slows by the lift for excessive winds.  Then that was put on wind hold.  Not long after that we lost Sensation Quad due to wind.

Wind was absolutely nuts above 2,500ft.  Sustained 50mph and gusting 90mph at the height of it.... finally started dropping now that the low level jet moved through.

Feb_27.jpg.94be527618a76ae6de4b04cb6727c8bd.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh we lost the Gondola first because those cabins are like kites... the FourRunner hung on for another couple hours but kept getting auto-slows by the lift for excessive winds.  Then that was put on wind hold.  Not long after that we lost Sensation Quad due to wind.

Wind was absolutely nuts above 2,500ft.  Sustained 50mph and gusting 90mph at the height of it.... finally started dropping now that the low level jet moved through.

Feb_27.jpg.94be527618a76ae6de4b04cb6727c8bd.jpg

Damn like 5mph down here

Really wild observations today! Seems that I fared quite well, all things considered. Ended up with 2.7" of snow and sleet. This stuff has some serious density, as has been the case with almost every event this winter. But we never had any rain or freezing rain here.

Currently up to 32F which is the warmest it has been all day. A very dense fog has rolled in during the last 10-15 minutes...almost instantaneously as the temperature hit freezing. I suspect we may drip for a few hours this evening before temps slip back down overnight.

Doublehead skied amazingly well today.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, greenmtnwx said:

I was talking with my late teen son about N NH/Whites vs. VT/Greens and the culture and geography of the states. I came up with that NH is the blond with that big rack that you have a good time with. A little bit trashy. VT is the cute smart nerdy brunette that you take home to mom. Each has their own appeal. 

And Maine is the the girl who plays softball, can drink you under the table and tells you when you’re getting married rather than waiting to be proposed to. 

13 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Really wild observations today! Seems that I fared quite well, all things considered. Ended up with 2.7" of snow and sleet. This stuff has some serious density, as has been the case with almost every event this winter. But we never had any rain or freezing rain here.

Currently up to 32F which is the warmest it has been all day. A very dense fog has rolled in during the last 10-15 minutes...almost instantaneously as the temperature hit freezing. I suspect we may drip for a few hours this evening before temps slip back down overnight.

Doublehead skied amazingly well today.

A bit of revenge after what happened in the earlier synoptic storms where it rained at Wildcat. 

Did a notch tour of NH today. Started out going to Pittsburg to buy a new to me sled. It was snowing most of the way and while we were there for a while. Pittsburg has decent snow but nothing huge for them. Headed back south and decided to take a left through Dixville Notch. Precip went from sleet in Colebrook to snow through the Notch and windy. Snow was heavy at times while we were in Errol. By the time we got to Berlin and Gorham it was raining. Up through Pinkham it transitioned to sleet by the time we got to the Auto Road and was really pounding snow by Wildcat. Roads were pretty nasty through Jackson. Still snow as we headed west on 302, occasionally mixed with, particularly around Attitash. Precip was light through most of Hart’s Location and was snow through Crawford. Changed to rain just past Fabyan’s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

LOL this was definitely a bad setup for my house. 

As PF mentioned l, the micro climates are insane in NNE. Gene rotting at 28-30F all day while your at 40F at 1500ft.  One glance at a topo map and you know south winds are going to be trouble for your area.  Not many areas that do well on all wind directions where people actually live. Locally Woodford does pretty well on most wind directions, so good for the 100 people there..lol.

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

As PF mentioned l, the micro climates are insane in NNE. Gene rotting at 28-30F all day while your at 40F at 1500ft.  One glance at a topo map and you know south winds are going to be trouble for your area.  Not many areas that do well on all wind directions where people actually live. Locally Woodford does pretty well on most wind directions, so good for the 100 people there..lol.

Yeah, I do best on the kind of flows that predominantly bring our winter weather, E, NE, W, NW. It’s a fair trade. I don’t think the models had me getting this much rain or hitting 40 though. 

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I do best on the kind of flows that predominantly bring our winter weather, E, NE, W, NW. It’s a fair trade. I don’t think the models had me getting this much rain or hitting 40 though. 

I bet you do well in the SWFEs, but when the cold wedge gets more shallow and those S-SW winds work their way down to 850mb you'll start having issues. Gene and I rot in the cold until the cold front comes, but you may get brief periods where you mix out before the front comes. Of course with E-NE flow in the low/mid levels you'll rake it up. You will even get pounded into late April with the right setup.

• Like 1