Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Just now, PhineasC said:

You need to ditch the bamboo and chickens so you can stop with this ridiculous warm temp fetish. :) 

I’m okay with the cold in Dec, Jan, and early Feb but we’ve come too far without it so I have to cheer against it now. A few -1s in DJF only to get a -10° in March would be a kick in the nads. We want cold enough to snow anyway...not cold and dry.

Just now, dendrite said:

I’m okay with the cold in Dec, Jan, and early Feb but we’ve come too far without it so I have to cheer against it now. A few -1s in DJF only to get a -10° in March would be a kick in the nads. We want cold enough to snow anyway...not cold and dry.

Yep, true. 28 and snow is just fine. 

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Doesn't look likely this year, but 4 of my 22 winters here had their coldest temp in March: 00-01, 06-07 (on the 9th, the latest so far), 10-11 and 18-19, all in the range -20 to -25. ^_^

Had a couple snow showers today after the sunny start.  A stronger burst just came through dropping a quick inch on the Lookout Snow Plot.  It came through as white rain down in town at 750ft.  Snow level seems to be 1000-1500ft this evening but will drop fast after the FROPA.

Here's last run at 4pm... I love how light it is now late in the day.  Two months ago I would've needed a headlamp practically at the time of these photos on our final lap.  Now I can ski till 415pm and still have enough light to walk the dog when I get home.

153823576_10104468589063560_717619621423

153593176_10104468589123440_433146331684

• Like 3

Is anybody getting their tapping supplies dusted off yet?

The past 4 mornings I've noticed a dramatic difference in the bird songs. I know winter type weather isn't over, but going forward there will be more frequent interludes of spring mixed in...we have passed the solid wall to wall winter period. Yes, there can be snow Memorial Day Weekend up here. Im not denying that...this is the part of winter I like the most- still winter, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel

Snowy morning.  Weirdest surface in the base area... tire tracks only 2” deep but there’s a layer of like 1-1.5” of complete sludge underneath.  It must’ve came in warm and then chilled fast.  You have to dig to find the actual pavement underneath.

The plows are moving some chunky heavy snow despite the top 2” being fluff.

31D3B1B7-03B6-4C71-A7D3-F57AC078F769.thumb.jpeg.00a12e69ea4d56491b6416fca6cc4457.jpeg

Just now, powderfreak said:

Snowy morning.  Weirdest surface in the base area... tire tracks only 2” deep but there’s a layer of like 1-1.5” of complete sludge underneath.  It must’ve came in warm and then chilled fast.  You have to dig to find the actual pavement underneath.

The plows are moving some chunky heavy snow despite the top 2” being fluff.

31D3B1B7-03B6-4C71-A7D3-F57AC078F769.thumb.jpeg.00a12e69ea4d56491b6416fca6cc4457.jpeg

Even the melting sidewalks couldn't handle it

StowePlaza.jpg

Skied a lap on the Sherburne Trail out of Pinkham Notch this morning. I would estimate there was 1-2" of new snow in the Pinkham parking lot, and closer to 3" up at Hermit Lake (3800'). I noted a similar consistency here as powderfreak noted in Vermont - it skied way more dense than a usual 1-3" snowfall. There's a pretty scratchy surface underneath thanks to the thaw/freeze cycle these last two days.

Looking forward to a complete re-set on Saturday, but hoping we can avoid a change to sleet/fzra in the late stages of the event.

I saw PF's post this morning and went to the webcams - it was dumping at both MRG and Wildcat sometime after 5am, I rechecked the wildcat webcam after the sun came up and before I walked the dog - 630ish and the the snow had temporarily stopped at Wildcat. Snowing hard there now via webcam. I've got a reservation at wildcat sunday so hoping for the best between now and then. My local metrowest nordic skiing is vanishing quickly :-((((

35 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Models all have about .5" liquid here as snow for Saturday.

Fingers crossed for my first snowfall over 2" since the beginning of Feb.

4-6" of snow would be perfect to rebuild things and set up March.

I didn't realize you had gone so long without a 2" snowfall! I guess this month has been better for the synoptic areas versus the upslope areas (though not by much). I measured 2.3" on February 16th and 3.4" this past Monday into Tuesday.

10 minutes ago, jculligan said:

I didn't realize you had gone so long without a 2" snowfall! I guess this month has been better for the synoptic areas versus the upslope areas (though not by much). I measured 2.3" on February 16th and 3.4" this past Monday into Tuesday.

I have been in a bit of a snow hole since the early Feb storm. It’s all fair since I did better than most other areas in the other big synoptic events. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah radar over here looks unblocked for the most part.... allowing for good propagation downwind.  It seems that's your sweet spot too.  Lets the snow showers/squalls get further ESE without losing their pay load too early.

Waves of windy fluff blowing through with embedded heavier bursts. Haven't seen a day of this in a while. Everything looks like deep winter again.