Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The wood chipper running over NNE has been persistent this winter and still looks to be active through the end of the month. Every slug of moisture that approaches is shredded and pushed SE at game time. Very consistent. Hope it runs out of gas for March. 

Your neighbor averages 17" in April with a mean peak depth of 25" in April too.  They will be prancing through Tulips on the CT shoreline while your still snowing.

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah we have some snow falling, but nothing significant.  Mood snows I'd call it.  1/4" of new snow in past 45-60 minutes or so judging by the tire tracks in the Sushi Yoshi parking lot as we passed by on the evening dog walk.  I'd guess it pulses up to half inch an hour rates at times but then will drop to a heavy flurry, and repeat the process.

Though I always appreciate the evening dog walk on the Rec Path while it's snowing.  That soft squeak of boots walking the groomed surface (I love they groom the Rec Path, just step outside and wander a groomed trail), while snow falls in the headlamp and street lights.  But it would probably take at least 3 hours to accumulate an inch.

Still, a nice wintry scene this evening.  Been rotting in the 17-18" range for snow depth for weeks it seems...it just has more density to it now after that sleet event.

I actually did pop over to Sushi Yoshi to get dinner for the family on the way back from Jay Peak this afternoon, and I’d say even that little bit of distance up there from the center of Stowe Village showed some increased accumulations and retention of the fluff to help cover things.  I assume it must continue to get better as one heads farther up the Mountain Road?

43 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was on Big Jay and in the Big Jay Basin area today, so that southeast side of Jay Peak seemed to really get quite a shot of new snow.  I can’t say when all of it fell, and I believe I only saw 3” new on the snow report for the resort this morning when I checked.  I actually never headed over the pass to the resort side, but I was wondering what it was like in terms of new snow over there.

Whatever the setup has been in terms of wind direction and Froude, etc., that Big Jay Basin area today was definitely getting hit.  Something similar was going on with Hyde Park and Eden as well, to a lesser degree of course.

I think the flow and snow growth is maximized in that area, and extends down to over you.  That wind flow and low level moisture is wringing out the moisture on a very specific axis.  You being immediately downwind of Bolton is leading to a very strong band.  Despite being east side and in the downslope, RT 108 at least sees some steady light snow coming off of Madonna, Whiteface (VT), Spruce and Mansfield.

This flow definitely packs snow into the immediate Spine axis (all elevations) and northwest facing slopes... maximized in those  pass elevations up through the mid-slopes.  Above that it's too fluffy/windy to let it stack up, IMO.

Feb20.gif.934eff71eaa7fb548f567cc35b4bcae1.gif

You have to be getting ripped there near the county line and I89 intersection.

Feb20_radar.gif.d0ace19b9dc1769bb469ee8f6811fbb2.gif

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Your neighbor averages 17" in April with a mean peak depth of 25" in April too.  They will be prancing through Tulips on the CT shoreline while your still snowing.

No doubt, but I am hoping we don't just saltine with easy cheez all the way until mid-April. Another pot roast storm would be nice. Like 2 meaty SWFEs.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It sounds like the Jay area and this last snowfall had some crazy gradients. Coworker who also does snow reporting duties found about 5” at Jay, but he was around 2,000ft down low as a gate keeper at a USASA event.

Said it was great skiing but he was confident in about 5” as a recent total.  Maybe 3” on top of groomed surface.  Said it snowed at times and had some sun at times, not much new near the parking lots today.

E859CB7A-F108-4205-A04B-1791CC932B31.jpeg.95f92fd8b4c05f27d7b6b821bdfefc36.jpeg

Then another friend went to the backcountry near Jay and reported a solid foot of fluff, similar to @J.Spin.  He said it was crazy.  Seemed like the snow got stuck in the road passes with calm winds and on the west slope... but not as much on the Jay Peak side near the base area at 1800ft.

Curious what our local resident saw up there too.

There wasn’t a foot near my place, but I certainly believe it in that pass off 242.  The parking lot is up at about 2200-2300’ before 242 dips back down prior to the stateside entrance.  That spot always seems to have big snow banks and the differences in snow intensity is often visible in that little 8 mile stretch down the hill to Montgomery.  To be honest, I think I’ve noticed differences from stateside to tramside, but I might be imagining it.  The mountains face different angles and obviously, wind comes through at varying intensities (I.e. almost always head on or from the right after tower 16 on the freezer)  when it may be completely calm on the jet.  I would guess that would affect the amount of moisture being wrung out snd where it lands.  Such cool stuff to try and learn about.  

As for totals, maybe 2-3 during the day and 4 or so overnight.  Very unscientific, but next year I want to put a snowboard in the back so I’ll have accurate measurements at least when I’m there.    Some very light freezing drizzle for a short time with the earlier week storm, but not enough to do much damage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I actually went right through your area today on my way up to borderwx and bwt’s neck of the wood’s for a ski tour, so I can pass along some snow updates.

There have definitely been some notable differences in snowfall around the area.  The rounds of fluff we’ve been getting here along the spine at our site have covered up the old snow pretty well, and monitoring that aesthetic during my travels today turned out to be a decent way to see who’d recently gotten snow.

Heading east from our place, accumulations definitely drop off toward the Waterbury Village area, and indeed, all along through the east slope towns of Waterbury Center, Stowe, and Morrisville, there really hasn’t been much new snow that I could see, or what’s fallen has sublimated and disappeared quickly off the snow banks.  I’m sure accumulations increase as one heads westward up the mountain road, but down in Stowe Village, I could see that they need a refresher.

There was still light snow falling in all those east side towns, but once I left Morrisville and rose up into the Hyde Park area, the increase in snowfall intensity was obvious.  That continued right on through Eden.  The snowfall was squally, and quite heavy at times, and I was continually having to turn on my headlights and fogs when I’d get into those more intense areas of snowfall.  That increased snowfall definitely showed itself with accumulations – up in that area, all the roadside snowbanks were covered up with a solid coating of new snow.

I’d say the snow was in general a bit less through Belvidere and Montgomery Center, but once I headed toward the pass on Route 242… well, you guys know what happens up there.  I parked at that lower access area on the east side of the pass where I started my tour.  The elevation there is about 1,500’ and right from the start of the tour, I was finding 8-12” of new champagne.  Above 2,000’ there was 12-16” of accumulation.

I was checking snowpack depths along my tour, and I was already getting 40” snowpack readings at just 2,000’.  And, it snowed the whole time I was there – most of the time it was what I’d call moderate, probably in the 0.5”/hr range, but there were also stints where it bumped up to the 1”/hr range.  The snowfall was typically large, upslope-style flakes, so it can be tough to gauge the snowfall rate with those at times because they just stack up so fast.

It’s firsthand experiences like this though that have me rolling my eyes every time somebody gets going with the smack talk about Jay Peak and their snow reporting.  My actual experiences reveal again, and again, and again that they really get a ridiculous amount of snow in that area.

I’ll put together some images from today’s trip when I get a chance.

Great report!  No question they lead the east so not sure why people argue over the numbers.  To put it in perspective, would there be any argument that they get 30” more than k-mart?  Yet people question their season total and  as of yesterday, killington was reporting 178 on the season and Jay 208.  Personally, I think the spread is usually a little greater than that, but I’ll give killington the benefit of the doubt as they got the December storm that jay largely missed.  But no way anyone south of sugarbush gets the same upslope.

Just now, bwt3650 said:

Great report!  No question they lead the east so not sure why people argue over the numbers.  To put it in perspective, would there be any argument that they get 30” more than k-mart?  Yet people question their season total and as of yesterday, killington was reporting 178 on the season and Jay 208.  Personally, I think the spread is usually a little greater than that, but I’ll give killington the benefit of the doubt as they got the December storm that jay largely missed.  But no way anyone south of sugarbush gets the same upslope.

Oh yeah, that disparity is not quite as high as it would usually be.  It’s due to a combination of that big storm with the intense band hitting farther south, and also, the Northern Greens are off their usual snowfall numbers for this point in the season due to that slower start.  I’m sure PF can indicate what the snowfall pace is at Stowe relative to average.

Average seasonal snowfall here at our site through 2/20 is ~110”, so based on the usual correlation, the local resorts should be somewhere in the 220” range, with Jay Peak on the higher side of that.

9 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Great report!  No question they lead the east so not sure why people argue over the numbers.  To put it in perspective, would there be any argument that they get 30” more than k-mart?  Yet people question their season total and  as of yesterday, killington was reporting 178 on the season and Jay 208.  Personally, I think the spread is usually a little greater than that, but I’ll give killington the benefit of the doubt as they got the December storm that jay largely missed.  But no way anyone south of sugarbush gets the same upslope.

I don’t think there is a doubt about how snowy it is and it seems like recently amounts look more reasonable. But you go back to years ago (maybe new owner ship recently or just better observing?) and they were ridiculous. Refused to report or just magically skipped over any conditions with warmth and rain. And from the numerous times I know people who have gone there (some of them mets too) they mentioned the reporting being a little “generous.” There is a reason why they had that reputation.

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t think there is a doubt about how snowy it is and it seems like recently amounts look more reasonable. But you go back to years ago (maybe new owner ship recently or just better observing?) and they were ridiculous. Refused to report or just magically skipped over any conditions with warmth and rain. And from the numerous times I know people who have gone there (some of them mets too) they mentioned the reporting being a little “generous.” There is a reason why they had that reputation.

Whenever this debate comes up, I wonder about the difference between the mountain ops guy doing the measuring and the PR/marketing people running the social media accounts. At large resorts, I am assuming those are not the same people. That strikes me as one way a report of 3.6” new snow turns into the “3-6 new snow overnight” language on the snow report.  

Been dealing with some bad lyme disease symptoms that have been ongoing without my knowledge for a couple years now but got 10x worse out of nowhere.  Always misdiagnosed as something else until I finally made the connection with a good PT.  Lots of pain and other neuro symptoms, I'm 25 but feel like I'm 60.  Starting treatment this week.  Anyways, my buddy convinced me to go up to Jay with him on Monday.  I've largely been taking it easy this season, I spent all of  December/January thinking I had a herniated disc and sciatica.  Luckily that's not the case so I'll likely just do some filming for my buddies and I might even try to get into Grandpa Grunts solo for a few nights (mon-wed/thurs if possible) to rest and chill and enjoy the area as I usually do on my trips up north.  Glad you guys got some fluff to lighten things up and another light upslope signal midweek.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Been dealing with some bad lyme disease symptoms that have been ongoing without my knowledge for a couple years now but got 10x worse out of nowhere.  Always misdiagnosed as something else until I finally made the connection with a good PT.  Lots of pain and other neuro symptoms, I'm 25 but feel like I'm 60.  Starting treatment this week.  Anyways, my buddy convinced me to go up to Jay with him on Monday.  I've largely been taking it easy this season, I spent all of  December/January thinking I had a herniated disc and sciatica.  Luckily that's not the case so I'll likely just do some filming for my buddies and I might even try to get into Grandpa Grunts solo for a few nights (mon-wed/thurs if possible) to rest and chill and enjoy the area as I usually do on my trips up north.  Glad you guys got some fluff to lighten things up and another light upslope signal midweek.  

Lyme Disease is so prevalent and really debilitating at times, but I feel like it’s always swept under the rug. Not good. Best of luck to you. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Whenever this debate comes up, I wonder about the difference between the mountain ops guy doing the measuring and the PR/marketing people running the social media accounts. At large resorts, I am assuming those are not the same people. That strikes me as one way a report of 3.6” new snow turns into the “3-6 new snow overnight” language on the snow report.  

At Stowe it was always the same... and operations is in charge of the snow reporting.  For a while I was a marketing employee with an office in Mtn Operations, ha.  

I truly don't think anyone at this point blatantly tries to mislead anyone.  But measuring snow isn't an exact science either, especially when you can find varying amounts from 2" to 10" at any given time.  I mean just take yesterday at Jay Peak.  My buddy found 5" where he was, J.Spin found a foot of new snow.  Both were actually true.

19 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Sounds like my wife right now and she did have a deer tick bite last summer. She never had the ring around it though and they didn’t think she needed the antibiotic. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

At Stowe it was always the same... and operations is in charge of the snow reporting.  For a while I was a marketing employee with an office in Mtn Operations, ha.  

I truly don't think anyone at this point blatantly tries to mislead anyone.  But measuring snow isn't an exact science either, especially when you can find varying amounts from 2" to 10" at any given time.  I mean just take yesterday at Jay Peak.  My buddy found 5" where he was, J.Spin found a foot of new snow.  Both were actually true.

I definitely question some of the reports from Wildcat. Jay Peak is obviously distant from here and the weather can be very different. Wildcat’s climo is pretty similar to Randolph however and their reports leave me scratching my head sometimes. A lot of what Wildcat says and does is kinda weird to me. I assume there is some confusion this season with the Vail transition. 

28 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Glad you found treatment. I suffered like you did in the 90s with no Dr to diagnose until I found one. Best of luck and go go go

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Lyme Disease is so prevalent and really debilitating at times, but I feel like it’s always swept under the rug. Not good. Best of luck to you. 

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sounds like my wife right now and she did have a deer tick bite last summer. She never had the ring around it though and they didn’t think she needed the antibiotic. 

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Glad you found treatment. I suffered like you did in the 90s with no Dr to diagnose until I found one. Best of luck and go go go

It really sucks that it is the most underfunded/underesearched disease, yet it affects so many people in many different economic classes and geographic areas.  Treatment is expensive and traditional testing is outdated and innacurate.  I tested negative in 2019 through labcorp when I had unexplained foot pain.  I could have caught it then, but insurance doesn't cover modern testing and I've had to suffer as a result.  I had a bullseye in 2018 and was treated but it must not have been effective.  I'm hopeful I'll be back strong for next season.  Finally graduated so need to get a job and move up north/west!  BA in Media Studies and Production at Temple U if anyone has opportunities send me a message!

In regard to varying snow totals I feel like it has to do with wind deposition from upwind ridges as well as the orientation of upwind peaks.  The upwind ridge of Big Jay basin faces perfectly NW so it makes sense the SE basin will fill in accordingly with NW flow unless the flow is blocked.  I've noted before but the 38 inches at smuggs vs 27" reported at stowe in Jan 8-11, 2019 seemed to be influenced by flow direction, upwind mountain orientation and measurement location as well.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, not arguing about the reputation and what you’re saying about the past.  The generous reports were well known.  The ownership is now really just all those eb5 investors with a federal receiver until they sell, but Steve Wright has been the gm since all that shit went down a few years ago and seems like a real solid dude..even puts out emails and fb posts when they expect one of those really bad weather weekends.  I think he did it right before the grinch and basically said, don’t expect good conditions so not the best weekend to come up.  I’ll see if I can find it.   I even see the guy out working a lift line on weekends some days so I think maybe there has been a culture change with respect to transparency.  At the beginning of the year, he hosted a zoom call with all homeowners talking about what to expect this year and answering everyone’s questions.  Obviously, I’m biased about my home mountain, but it seems like it has been pretty well run lately.  Mountain ops did a great job getting it up and running early this year after the grinch.

• Like 1

Just now, bwt3650 said:

Yeah, not arguing about the reputation and what you’re saying about the past.  The generous reports were well known.  The ownership is now really just all those eb5 investors with a federal receiver until they sell, but Steve Wright has been the gm since all that shit went down a few years ago and seems like a real solid dude..even puts out emails and fb posts when they expect one of those really bad weather weekends.  I think he did it right before the grinch and basically said, don’t expect good conditions so not the best weekend to come up.  I’ll see if I can find it.   I even see the guy out working a lift line on weekends some days so I think maybe there has been a culture change with respect to transparency.  At the beginning of the year, he hosted a zoom call with all homeowners talking about what to expect this year and answering everyone’s questions.  Obviously, I’m biased about my home mountain, but it seems like it has been pretty well run lately.  Mountain ops did a great job getting it up and running early this year after the grinch.

Thanks for this, I think it makes sense too because anecdotally, they seem more in line with other reports. I'm glad they have a good ownership.

2 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

You have to find a good Doctor that specializes Lyme--problem is a lot or most don't take insurance and many of the big carriers still don't view Lyme as a actual disease so they don't cover a lot of the treatment and treatment plans--like you mentioned in the previous post.  I feel like many insurance carriers view Lyme Docs has almost vodoo scientists.  Because so many Lyme tests come back negative, I think the big Health Plans are hesitant to cover stuff.  

It all about getting on the right treatment plan.  Just as quick background, last Jan I had these symptoms come out of nowhere---mine where very neuro based and I was losing sensation and tingling in my extremities along with rapid heartbeat, muscle fatigue and extreme muscle tightness, night sweats among others.  Got so bad, I was bed ridden for a few weeks and couldn't even work even though I work from home.  Super scary and had no idea what was going on.  You think the worst and thought it was early onset ALS based on symptoms and my Primary care said the same--which I don't think he should have as it put the fear of God in me.   I didn't even think of Lyme, but he tested for it too because of some of the symptoms.  Got a positive Lyme test back on all the all Lyme tests---which was a relief in some ways because I knew what the cause was now.

Back to the treatment--Primary care did the normal routine of doxycycline everyone doc does--said 5-7 days I would be much better, nope didn't happen.  Was worse than ever and getting worse by the day.  Was able to get a referral from a friend (who has Lyme) to Lyme specialist in Albany--guy was awesome, unbelievably  knowledgeable on the disease and put me on totally different treatment plan with 3 different antibiotics and different supplements. He took  more detailed tests too which also showed all positive for Lyme.  I never saw a tick or bullseye or anything--he did think or was more recent just because of the the Lyme anitbodies showing up in the test which were off the charts he said.  Took a while, but finally was getting better after a few weeks and much better now. Like you mentioned it definitely got pricy because they don't take insurance or insurance doesn't cover most stuff. My health was certainly worth it, that's for sure.

You can PM if you want for info on the clinic I went to or more info on it.  I know your far from there, but with Covid everything is virtual now anyways.  Good luck with getting back on track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1