Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

6 minutes ago, Hitman said:

What’s remarkable is that we haven’t had a thaw since the grinch Xmas day.  When was the last time that’s happened?

light snow here.  Dusting at the house.  Mountain reporting 3” overnight.

Looks like that's yesterday's snow after the 6am report?  I don't think anything happened overnight.

Nothing more than some scattered flurries up this way per grooming last night.  Decent amount of stars out too.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Looks like that's yesterday's snow after the 6am report?  I don't think anything happened overnight.

You might be right.  I get confused because they often don’t report on what they get in the afternoon update to the snow report and then add it back into the 24 hour total.  But there’s definitely a dusting on my car since 7pm last night.

also, fwiw, I’d been booked to go out to bc this week which obviously couldn’t happen because of the covid but whitewater closed today due to extreme cold although it’s only minus 5f.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hitman said:

You might be right.  I get confused because they often don’t report on what they get in the afternoon update to the snow report and then add it back into the 24 hour total.  But there’s definitely a dusting on my car since 7pm last night.

also, fwiw, I’d been booked to go out to bc this week which obviously couldn’t happen because of the covid but whitewater closed today due to extreme cold although it’s only minus 5f.

Ha!  That seems like a weak closure for British Columbia interior mountains.  That's not that cold.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

We had light snow falling at observations time this morning, and it seemed beyond the point where it would have been associated with Winter Storm Roland.  This was that sort of precipitation that doesn’t really show up on radar, but the BTV NWS AFD indicates that we’ve got a weak upper-level disturbance affecting the area, so presumably the precipitation is associated with that feature.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 5.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 22.5 inches

On 2/10/2021 at 10:35 AM, PhineasC said:

Hard to stay on top in the race when getting very little synoptic action and relying exclusively on upslope over here. We sort of keep up with the Northern Greens in general terms, but when we get 1 inch, they get 2 - 2.5 and when we get 2 they get 3-3.5 it seems like. That adds up to create a delta over the course of a season. I am assuming as we head into mid to late March and beyond it gets a little harder for J. Spin to rack up fluff down in the valley and spots like ours can still clean up on some amped-up coastal lows. 

I’d also meant to comment on the late season stuff – and I’d say that’s exactly right.  Once we get into late March and April, we can get those more marginal temperature, elevation-dependent events, and that’s when your area is going to have an extra advantage vs. the lower elevation spots.  We’ll often still get some snow out of a system down in the valley, but if temperatures are marginal, it’s not going to accumulate as 50:1 fluff, it might just be a slushy coating.  So the advantage of those types of frequent, fluffy snowfalls decreases around here in the late season.

Over the course of the season, it’s typically a mix of those bigger synoptic systems and the bread and butter events.  The big systems are definitely less frequent, and much more hit or miss, and if you miss out on a couple relative to nearby areas (or if they just don’t occur) it can have a bigger impact on some locations vs. others.  As you pointed out with your numbers, the bread and butter upslope systems probably contribute just a bit more to our snowfall climatology here in the Northern Greens, so if those are predominating we’ll be doing relatively well.

• Like 1

Born in NYC, raised on Long Island, Grandma now buried in Marshfield, but lived across from North Quincy T, saw as many Yankee games at Fenway, maybe more, than Yankee Stadium (my late Dad didn't like going to the Bronx)  In Texas 40 years...

Former NY-er and former unpopular poster.  Blizzard of 1978 my favorite storm.  (5 days no school St. Martin of Tours, Amityville, NY)  Any red taggers want to visit Texas thread for a once every two decade Winter event and give expert opinion?

37 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Mountain in a cloud of snow all day.  Super light, didn’t accumulate much if at all.  To say Conditions are great is an understatement.

Awesome...we had some brief light snow, but largely had a sunny day this afternoon with some occasional ridge clouds.  Tons of blowing of drifting of snow on the ridgeline and Chin.  Lots of snow transport going on today in the higher alpine areas. The skiing and riding has been about as good as it gets.  Hasn't rained in over a month and the consistent snowfall every other day works itself in despite the low QPF.  It all adds up over time and provides a lot of pow turns.

There is something special about watching the original 1982 version of the The Thing with icy cold temps and snow falling outside. Trapped inside and forcing the scared kids to watch an alien parasite devour an Antarctic research team... doesn't get any better than that! 

I suggested after the movie it was a good time to walk down to the barn to check on "the generators" with a single flashlight but they refused. LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

There is something special about watching the original 1982 version of the The Thing with icy cold temps and snow falling outside. Trapped inside and forcing the scared kids to watch an alien parasite devour an Antarctic research team... doesn't get any better than that! 

I suggested after the movie it was a good time to walk down to the barn to check on "the generators" with a single flashlight but they refused. LOL

Omg, I'm dying!!! How old are your kids? That a rough movie for an adult to watch!

21 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

What? Jan was piss warm. Last 10 days have been slightly BN but nothing frigid.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

From a skiing perspective a thaw is anything that ruins the snow surface.  I’ve had dry powder in my yard for at least a month now.  Snow on the trees has been there for a very long time in spots.

But you are also right, departures were ridiculous for a lot of January.  Just no thawing.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

From a skiing perspective a thaw is anything that ruins the snow surface.  I’ve had dry powder in my yard for at least a month now.  Snow on the trees has been there for a very long time in spots.

But you are also right, departures were ridiculous for a lot of January.  Just no thawing.

It’s like the polar opposite of that winter a few years ago where January was below normal for temps and above normal for precip but it warmed up enough for rain and we had very little snow for the month. 

59 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

What? Jan was piss warm. Last 10 days have been slightly BN but nothing frigid.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

You’re talking about average temperatures compared to normal average temperatures.  We didn’t have any real cold temps to bring down the average but it hasn’t been above freezing and no r@#$&n.  That’s what’s relevant vis a vis the composition of the snow pack.

minus 4f here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard you mention it before, but January is, in general, the perfect time of the season to have those positive departures.  Obviously we’re not looking to get warm-sectored in storms, but something warmer and wetter than sitting under arctic high pressure is definitely preferred in my book.  If given the choice between dealing with subzero days or actually getting into the storm track, we know what most skiers would probably choose.

I’m not sure what the departures were this January, but it sort of played out the way one would draw it up.  We had an active month with 12 storms, roughly average snowfall, and no huge thaws that I can think of.

One preferably wants those notable negative temperature departures on the fringes of the season in October, November, March, and April.  Actually, warm Octobers are awesome, so those are nice either way.  There are only going to be so many ski days in October anyway, even when it’s below average.  There’s not much point to an above average April unless you really want to get the corn snow going, but there’s always May for that.  Aprils where the powder just keeps coming are great, and can ensure the snowpack is still plentiful in May.

MasterPlan.jpg