Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Snowing pretty good out there.  I was surprised with this one and the vis is staying pretty low at MVL.  Might be 2" soon?

Down to 0.50sm moderate snow and has been hanging around 1 mile vis past several hours.

I just posted in the storm obs thread that my location is closing in on 2"

57 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yep, nice little refresher here too. Everything is sparkling white again. 

Looks like the next couple days are clear, but you never know around here. Snow can appear at any time!

Wait had your snow changed color since falling the day before yesterday??? :)

I'm skeptical of clear weather for the next 2 days with "brisk" NW wind. That's always a red flag in the forecast...

Just now, alex said:

Wait had your snow changed color since falling the day before yesterday??? :)

I'm skeptical of clear weather for the next 2 days with "brisk" NW wind. That's always a red flag in the forecast...

That very fresh snow just hits different, man. :)  

We hit the Black Forest glade today. Kids crushed it. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

That very fresh snow just hits different, man. :) 

We hit the Black Forest glade today. Kids crushed it. 

That's what I've always preached.  People don't understand what a couple inches of sparkling powder on top of the snowpack every day or every other day does, aside from the wintry vibe of flakes falling.

It just makes the whole pack look "fresh" like the whole thing might've just fallen today, even if it's only a couple cosmetic inches on top.  The trick is keeping the snow looking like it all just fell recently, all winter long.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alex said:

Glad you enjoyed! It's such a great intro to glades. 

My kids have been doing John Graves glade on West Mountain. They're getting better than me lol

Yes, my kids shoot through the trees, and I already struggle to keep up. It helps being small, nimble, and fearless. I’ve never really been a big glades guy over the decades skiing. Too enclosed for me and not enough to room to maneuver if I get into trouble. I will be outclassed by the kids very soon in the trees and head back to my fast groomers and occasional bump run. LOL

How does the John Graves glade compare to Black Forest? Steeper?

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, my kids shoot through the trees, and I already struggle to keep up. It helps being small, nimble, and fearless. I’ve never really been a big glades guy over the decades skiing. Too enclosed for me and not enough to room to maneuver if I get into trouble. I will be outclassed by the kids very soon in the trees and head back to my fast groomers and occasional bump run. LOL

How does the John Graves glade compare to Black Forest? Steeper?

Yes it's on the medium steep side. One small section of it is a double black - but pretty tame for that label. Boundary glades on West Mountain and some of those off the 2 Miles Home ridge on the Rosebrook side are the gnarliest. As a next step my favorites are West Glade and the glades off of Joseph's Run and Avalon on West Mountain. The one after Black forest is also very nice, just avoid the ridge trail which has a steel section that never has any snow on it because it gets blown off immediately and don't get on Roz at the end which is narrow and steep. 

Just now, alex said:

Yes it's on the medium steep side. One small section of it is a double black - but pretty tame for that label. Boundary glades on West Mountain and some of those off the 2 Miles Home ridge on the Rosebrook side are the gnarliest. As a next step my favorites are West Glade and the glades off of Joseph's Run and Avalon on West Mountain. The one after Black forest is also very nice, just avoid the ridge trail which has a steel section that never has any snow on it because it gets blown off immediately and don't get on Roz at the end which is narrow and steep. 

Yeah, we did the one that follows after Black Forest. We’ve seen the ones over by Avalon. They look good. 

We've had sparkling dust the past couple hours.  MVL ASOS saw a couple hour period of like 5-8 mile visibility obs, and it keeps bouncing around below 10 mile max.  Nothing on radar but it's like crystals forming just overhead in the cold and floating down.  Very low level stuff in this cold.  The snow growth layer of -12C to -18C is so low right now, pretty much at the surface.  Any moisture is condensing into flakes.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

We've had sparkling dust the past couple hours.  MVL ASOS saw a couple hour period of like 5-8 mile visibility obs, and it keeps bouncing around below 10 mile max.  Nothing on radar but it's like crystals forming just overhead in the cold and floating down.  Very low level stuff in this cold.  The snow growth layer of -12C to -18C is so low right now, pretty much at the surface.  Any moisture is condensing into flakes.

Another batch is just coming into the area now:

09FEB21A.gif

Event totals: 5.5” Snow/0.16” L.E.

I guess those mesoscale models were onto something with respect to the backside snow of this system around here, because we’ve picked up more accumulation with this recent activity than we did from the initial part of the storm.  We picked up 0.5” of snow through midnight last night, but I woke up earlier to find very large flakes pouring down and continuing to stack up quickly with impressive loft.  The pulses of moisture crashing into the spine are very obvious on the radar:

10FEB21A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 54.0

Snow Density: 1.9% H2O

Temperature: 12.7 F

Sky: Snow (10-25 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 23.5 inches

11 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I guess those mesoscale models were onto something with respect to the backside snow of this system around here, because we’ve picked up more accumulation with this recent activity than we did from the initial part of the storm.  We picked up 0.5” of snow through midnight last night, but I woke up earlier to find very large flakes pouring down and continuing to stack up quickly with impressive loft.  The pulses of moisture crashing into the spine are very obvious on the radar:

10FEB21A.gif

Yeah, I'm in the office in Montpelier today and am surprised a little at the snow coming down here right now.   Was partly cloudy when I left home, with a solid coating overnight.

4 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

10FEB21A.gif

You can tell by this Waterbury cam that it is pure 50-1 fluff..looks like the Moose was eating his beans last night :)

Image-707034-707034-0-1.jpg?s=42b1m

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

You can tell by this Waterbury cam that it is pure 50-1 fluff..looks like the Moose was eating his beans last night :)

Image-707034-707034-0-1.jpg?s=42b1m

You can really see it on the Bolton Valley Base Area Webcam.

Even though there’s not a massive amount of liquid pounding down from the sky, with such lofty 50:1 flakes, it stacks up quickly – I just measured 1.3” of accumulation in under 30 minutes, so that’s technically in the 2-3”/hr range.  Naturally, it wouldn’t come out that way over the course of hours due to how fast 50:1 snow settles, but it definitely stacks fast.

Was just entering the 2" from yesterday on the snow table, and notice how much shaft we've been getting comparatively speaking. It was usually "neck and neck" between JSpin and I on past years - as I've noted before, with us overperforming on coastals and the Mansfield area overperforming in uplsope. This year the upslope has been decent - but of course here in the valley never at those levels - while coastals have pretty much shafted us since October, so we're quite a bit behind. No complaints, it's been a nice winter with very consistent snowcover with the exception of (of course) the Xmas period, and skiing has been awesome and far better than last year. Nevertheless, it's interesting to notice! This is also the time of the year when (blasphemy) I start looking forward to Spring, and Spring is NOWHERE in sight. :)

• Like 1