Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It actually happens pretty frequently when they get big storms down there.  Not crazy at all.

Yea, I mean they just had 3ft.

Here is this morning.  There is only 1 station that had more than me as of this morning.  I guess they added some today? I didn't follow closely down there.

map_only.php?var=snow_depth_obs_48_h&min

18 minutes ago, alex said:

Lol just said the same 

I can think of a time pretty much every single winter when a lower snowfall place around the coastal plain, SNE, mid-Atlantic had more snow on the ground at some point.

2009-10, Inner city Baltimore had more on the ground than most of NNE a couple times, 2010-11 Ginxy had more snow on his shed roof for all of January than most of NNE (I think spots in CT had the same depth as Mansfield stake at one point in January), 2013-14 the Leon years PHL had more in Jan I think than Adirondacks and Greens, Feb 15 had more on ground at Mass beaches than NNE hills, 15-16 there were times following storms when CT had more, etc.

Its definitely more years than not that after a big storm or series of storms that a much lower snow climo spot has more depth.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I can think of a time pretty much every single winter when a lower snowfall place around the coastal plain, SNE, mid-Atlantic had more snow on the ground at some point.

2009-10, Inner city Baltimore had more on the ground than most of NNE a couple times, 2010-11 Ginxy had more snow on his shed roof for all of January than most of NNE (I think spots in CT had the same depth as Mansfield stake at one point in January), 2013-14 the Leon years PHL had more in Jan I think than Adirondacks and Greens, Feb 15 had more on ground at Mass beaches than NNE hills, 15-16 there were times following storms when CT had more, etc.

Its definitely more years than not that after a big storm or series of storms that a much lower snow climo spot has more depth.

Average depth over the season would show a much more complete pictures. Add standard deviations and you’d really get a different story!

It's great for those areas... spawning new generations of snow weenies.  Some seem to get bothered by it, which is real odd, even if there's still good snow on the ground and it looks like mid-winter as it should.  Like its some competition, but everyone knows what happens in the means and the longevity of the snow season vs. other areas.

It's early February and the classic climo favorable time for the baroclinic zone to dip to it's southernmost position.  This is when it should be snowing in those areas.  It's great for those posters/folks who love snow. 

• Like 2

I have about 28” in NJ...what’s uncommon this year is the snow on snow pattern setting up, not necessarily the depth at one single moment.  It’s great to see down there as it’s been a couple years since there has been a real snow pack mid winter feel, but it still can’t compare to northern vermont.  Overall winter retention is completely different.  It’s great for the local ski areas tho, who some seasons ski on completely man made garbage most of the year.  Even hunter opened all of hunter west for the first time in a few years..

I agree...I root for snow anywhere.  I live seeing places that miss for a while score big, especially knowing the averages will come through up north.

Some some good moisture pulsing into the Spine.  I bet it's heavy at times in the elevations of the Spine on the county lines.  Steady light snow here, good growth and eye-balling 2" on the elevated snow board out back.  The snow surface is sparkling with this fluff.  It does keep things looking so fresh even if they are light amounts.

Precip happening below the beam up by Jay Peak on the county line east of Richford, but elsewhere it probably samples pretty well.

Feb_7.gif.1bd744ecf3ff98826d82beed2a72d395.gif

49 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, I mean they just had 3ft.

Here is this morning.  There is only 1 station that had more than me as of this morning.  I guess they added some today? I didn't follow closely down there.

map_only.php?var=snow_depth_obs_48_h&min

Don’t most sites in NNE at elevation have snowpack depths of 30”+ at this point?  From the map, it looks like some sites in that area might be in the 20”+ range, but not 30”+ unless they really got hit hard with another storm today.

4 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Don’t most sites in NNE at elevation have snowpack depths of 30”+ at this point?  From the map, it looks like some sites in that area might be in the 20”+ range, but not 30”+ unless they really got hit hard with another storm today.

Lol I hadn’t really looked at the numbers, but yes it seems like they have a while to go 

Just now, J.Spin said:

Yea, I'm not sure what elevation he was referring to.  Any real elevation (2K+) would mostly be near 30" or higher going up in elevation I think like you said.  Lower elevation sites throughout VT, yes, that is more comparable and higher in NJ than some of the VT spots.

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Ha true, the valley spots might be comparable, but the higher elevations certainly have more.1,500ft and higher is loaded.

Just measured 3” and still coming down lightly. Snow growth is great. Pack is over 20” and had to rake my roof today with how well it’s been stacking up. Would love for a large synoptic event but with all this bread and butter I’m pretty full. 

29 minutes ago, timp said:

Just measured 3” and still coming down lightly. Snow growth is great. Pack is over 20” and had to rake my roof today with how well it’s been stacking up. Would love for a large synoptic event but with all this bread and butter I’m pretty full. 

Nice, I measured 2.5" at 8:30pm.  Another snowy evening.  Nothing earth shattering but it really seems to snow often around here the past 4-6 weeks.

-SN at probably a couple mile visibility at this point.

Feb_7_830pm.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's great for those areas... spawning new generations of snow weenies.  Some seem to get bothered by it, which is real odd, even if there's still good snow on the ground and it looks like mid-winter as it should.  Like its some competition, but everyone knows what happens in the means and the longevity of the snow season vs. other areas.

It's early February and the classic climo favorable time for the baroclinic zone to dip to it's southernmost position.  This is when it should be snowing in those areas.  It's great for those posters/folks who love snow. 

LOL so easy to be chill when you are near the top. 

You are like a prince lounging in the Palace of Versailles circa 1720 wondering why those peasants won’t just chill since they had a great wheat harvest and have that latest wine shipment the king sent. :)  

• Haha 1