• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

24.5F  Light snow ending   2.25"  Nice refresher.    The snow ended up being much dryer than I thought.  I figured this would be a 30 to 32F snow down here but ended up staying in the low 20's.

Snow depth up to 10".   45.5" for the season.   Snowmobilers have really been hurting this winter down here.  We have had snow cover but since the Grinch storm not enough to snowmobile with ease.  They will get there chance this weekend.

Next...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alex said:

Snow has lightened up significantly. 1.7"

That's what we are at as well. 1.7" on the day and 49.3" on the season over here. Not sure where I sit in terms of snowpack since there has likely been some settling since Tuesday, but I would imagine we are hovering around 20" OTG. Deep winter.

6 hours ago, MRVexpat said:

Yup that's basically the norm these days. Makes sense out West and in the kind of pattern we've been in recently but all too often I'll roll up to the hill in November and see hordes of people with these all mountain/powder skis strapped to their feet just lapping firm groomers. I guess that's why its best to have a quiver!

Of course I've been out of skiing for 40 years, back when underfoot width was usually in the 60s.  ;)   On Jan. 26, 1981 the pickup in which I was riding shotgun went head-on with 70 tons of fully loaded log truck (we lost), non-displaced fracture of the lower leg that meant 4 weeks each in a walking cast and rehabbing the idled muscles/tendons instead of 3-5 days/week on snowshoes.  But I ate like I was still on the racquets and gained 15-20 lb.  I'd just been promoted to district manager which cut boots-on-ground time in half, and moved to new place with a bad set-up for wood heat, so a scramble for wood - used 9 cords that 1st winter instead of 4-5 at the old place.  Between time constraints and thoughts of hanging on to the Fort Kent rope tow at my new weight, I didn't get back on the slopes.  Osteoarthritis recently clinched the "retirement".

Measured 0.8" about 3 PM, most of which came in 15 minutes of S/S+ either side of 1:30.  Teeny flakes before and after.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Of course I've been out of skiing for 40 years, back when underfoot width was usually in the 60s.  ;)   On Jan. 26, 1981 the pickup in which I was riding shotgun went head-on with 70 tons of fully loaded log truck (we lost), non-displaced fracture of the lower leg that meant 4 weeks each in a walking cast and rehabbing the idled muscles/tendons instead of 3-5 days/week on snowshoes.  But I ate like I was still on the racquets and gained 15-20 lb.  I'd just been promoted to district manager which cut boots-on-ground time in half, and moved to new place with a bad set-up for wood heat, so a scramble for wood - used 9 cords that 1st winter instead of 4-5 at the old place.  Between time constraints and thoughts of hanging on to the Fort Kent rope tow at my new weight, I didn't get back on the slopes.  Osteoarthritis recently clinched the "retirement".

Measured 0.8" about 3 PM, most of which came in 15 minutes of S/S+ either side of 1:30.  Teeny flakes before and after.

Our bodies sure remind us of our youthful excursions 

• Thanks 1

When I was at the office my wife told me we had gotten a lot of snow.  Right after I got home and measured on the board, she poked her head out the board.  I asked her how much she thought we got today.  She answered " a foot."  I then had to break it to her that there was 1.8 inches of new snow.

3 minutes ago, klw said:

When I was at the office my wife told me we had gotten a lot of snow.  Right after I got home and measured on the board, she poked her head out the board.  I asked her how much she thought we got today.  She answered " a foot."  I then had to break it to her that it was 1.8 inches.

Hmmm, I wonder how she got the idea that 2” = 12”?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, klw said:

When I was at the office my wife told me we had gotten a lot of snow.  Right after I got home and measured on the board, she poked her head out the board.  I asked her how much she thought we got today.  She answered " a foot."  I then had to break it to her that there was 1.8 inches of new snow.

Mrs. Magoo?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Models show a good burst this evening in NVT.

BD3FD5A8-6A71-4660-9DF1-D4606AB96FCB.thumb.png.44eca7d575a96dbaf77a4389fa5bba83.png

Seeing moisture build to the west, someone should grab another 2-3”.  Models have sort of a training SW flow.

Yeah, I see that moisture approaching on the radar, and flakes have started falling here at the house.

05FEB21A.gif

It just started snowing pretty good with a quick fresh dusting.  Good flakes mixed with graupel/rimed, showing some convective properties.

Had 2.0" for the measurement at 1,500ft and 1.7" down at 750ft from today's warm air advection band.

Drooling over this radar for some heavy bursts.  Should be a fun couple hours as this axis moves through. 

Feb_5_8pm.gif.825a56c04a514a17aa09c22738951b93.gif

7 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Getting lost in the woods today in pf land.  

Woods were deep and some barely touched stashes.  Foggy up top but overall, great day.  Not really sure where this was but i ducked in somewhere off of upper hayride.  Tight up top but, opened up somewhat. 

Red Sled and Major Jones that feed into Tres Amigos... a personal favorite.  There are some secret spots tucked in there that photograph well, ha.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It just started snowing pretty good with a quick fresh dusting.  Good flakes mixed with graupel/rimed, showing some convective properties.

Drooling over this radar for some heavy bursts.  Should be a fun couple hours as this axis moves through.

Feb_5_8pm.gif.825a56c04a514a17aa09c22738951b93.gif

I saw those stronger echoes as well – it’s always interesting to see what they do when they hit the spine.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Red Sled and Major Jones that feed into Tres Amigos... a personal favorite.  There are some secret spots tucked in there that photograph well, ha.

Yeah, it was good stuff...national was fun too; giant soft bumps.  Went to spruce early and got off sensation to what seemed like hurricane force winds and thought the day was going to suck, but turned out to be pretty solid.  I def need to explore those woods more next time.  

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

@bwt3650 and Jay is going to get crushed.  They are going to time this with the beginning of a long fetch WSW flow band off Lake Ontario.  I feel pretty good about that area near/on the International border getting crushed next 24 hours.

Really picking up now..those echos look like they are heading straight up from just east of btv.  Think it could turn into a flood light staring night and a powder morning.

28 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

We picked up just shy of an inch in the past 30 minutes, so that would put the snowfall rate near 2”/hr.

Pouring snow.  ~1.5" on the elevated small table I measure on about 15-20 minutes ago.  Just got inside with the dog, covered in snow.  Likely around 2" in this burst so far, maybe hit 4" on the day total between two rounds?

2L8A9223_edited-1-1.jpg.8a7968c56efcf5e5b3e3a2c1e889bdf4.jpg

2L8A9249_edited-1-1.thumb.jpg.5bf1985ac94bdba38440eaef7959ce7c.jpg

2L8A9206_edited-1-1.jpg.8fac96443e6ba4444ac4f1672c2e6a42.jpg

• Like 2