Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

47 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Bailed on work yesterday and skied the Crescent Ridge Glades in Randolph. I was quite surprised at the density of the snow, even up there...and there was even a slight crust from freezing drizzle. Not exactly the powder turns I had envisioned, but man...what a bomber base now!! Skied the Sherbie on Mount Washington this morning, and there wasn't a rock to be found in spite of a lot of skier traffic this week. The woods/backcountry are fully open.

Absolutely tragic news out of Ammonoosuc Ravine. I tried venturing into Ammo last March before the shutdown, but was turned around by thin snow conditions. Having been there, I can envision how the snow would pile up so deeply in the event of a large slide - it truly is a classic terrain trap. I think full burial scenarios are rather uncommon in the White Mountains compared to the western mountain ranges, but this makes two fatalities in three years now so it can definitely happen...especially as folks are pushing deeper and deeper into the more remote nooks and crannies of the range. This is definitely a moment for many of us to pause and think about the decisions we are making out there.

In other news...looks like a little bit of a refresher incoming for tomorrow. Hoping to pick up a couple to maybe 3" with the little system moving in. 

The snow here is like an Antarctic drill core sample. Compressed and heavy. There is like 4" of water in the bottom foot I think.

My truck was encased pretty solidly in the crust this morning. I didn't notice the freezing drizzle in the late evening so I guess it hit overnight.

January Totals

Days with new snow:  29

Accumulating Storms:  12

Snowfall:  41.0”

Liquid Equivalent: 3.05”

SDD:  311.0

I just got around to assembling my January snow data.  I think I recall people being rather “meh” on January’s winter weather in general, but it really snuck its way to just about average around here in terms of snowfall.  And, snow fell on 29 out of 31 days of the month, so that’s going to provide a rather wintry feel right there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

On a much lighter note... some good turning conditions out there.  The freezing mist didn't affect the snow surface in the woods at all (the supercooled droplets get snagged by the trees) and the trails only had a slight zipper crust that was easily handled by 100mm underfoot skis.

146475387_10104450863206320_896229273882

100 mm - did not know there were Alpine skis that wide.  Except for length, those boards would look appropriate on the jumping hill.  :D

23 minutes ago, tamarack said:

100 mm - did not know there were Alpine skis that wide.  Except for length, those boards would look appropriate on the jumping hill.  :D

Yup that's basically the norm these days. Makes sense out West and in the kind of pattern we've been in recently but all too often I'll roll up to the hill in November and see hordes of people with these all mountain/powder skis strapped to their feet just lapping firm groomers. I guess that's why its best to have a quiver!

46 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Yup that's basically the norm these days. Makes sense out West and in the kind of pattern we've been in recently but all too often I'll roll up to the hill in November and see hordes of people with these all mountain/powder skis strapped to their feet just lapping firm groomers. I guess that's why its best to have a quiver!

I've got four skis in rotation right now. If I'm skiing fast groomers with no uphill involved, I have a pair of race skis that are 72 underfoot. My two touring skis are 95 and 97 underfoot, which seems to be perfect in most conditions here in the East...then I have a fat pair of 115s that I might only use once or twice a season. Definitely good to have a quiver!!

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

Seasonal NW trend continue for Sunday?  We always have the SREFs and RPM--what could go wrong? :lol:

Not sure what to make of that thing. It has come back from the dead twice now. A couple more bumps NW would put us in some nice snow, especially over this way.

Tuesday is looking much more interesting across the area. A latitude storm.

26 minutes ago, jculligan said:

...then I have a fat pair of 115s that I might only use once or twice a season. 

I skied a pair of 110-115 at a demo day maybe 5 years ago, spring conditions. It was a strange sensation, almost like surfing! But could definitely see how they would be fun. Haven't been out there in probably 7-8 years but always laughed when I walked into a Tahoe ski shop, there wasn't a ski in there less than 100 under foot.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Not sure what to make of that thing. It has come back from the dead twice now. A couple more bumps NW would put us in some nice snow, especially over this way.

Tuesday is looking much more interesting across the area. A latitude storm.

I mean its' still 48ish hrs from the event, maybe a few more bumps NW or maybe it clips the Cranberry bogs--certainly been bouncing around on the models.  Tuesday looks more interesting at this point in time.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

12z GFS came west again.

Baby steps, but like Dendrite said in his melt last night--these type of systems have happened ALOT over the past 10 years plus.  SNE gets crushed and the NW crew looks at artic sand  on the fringe.  Amazing how many 12" storms they have had down there considering their average snowfall, guess that's how they get to climo though. Certainly not bread and butter.

23 minutes ago, Angus said:

I skied a pair of 110-115 at a demo day maybe 5 years ago, spring conditions. It was a strange sensation, almost like surfing! But could definitely see how they would be fun. Haven't been out there in probably 7-8 years but always laughed when I walked into a Tahoe ski shop, there wasn't a ski in there less than 100 under foot.

My powder boards are 110 waist I use them few times a year here and up in vermont.  I bought them 8 years ago, but they have early rise in the tip and tail and all that jazz.  Pretty short turn radius so they rock in the trees.  Getting 8 years out of a pair of skis is pretty good investment I'd say.  Sierra Trading Post is tempting me to buy Liberty Origin Pros though!

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Baby steps, but like Dendrite said in his melt last night--these type of systems have happened ALOT over the past 10 years plus.  SNE gets crushed and the NW crew looks at artic sand  on the fringe.  Amazing how many 12" storms they have had down there considering their average snowfall, guess that's how they get to climo though. Certainly not bread and butter.

Then it melts by Tuesday. LOL

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

12z GFS came west again.

I usually put more emphase on trends than individual model runs.  The trend is our friend.  SNE definitely looks to be in the game for Sunday but still more work to get it up here,  at least the heavier stuff.  This storm looks nice for the Mid Atlantic and the NE cities.  Colder down there than the last storm.  

Meanwhile today's event has been a nice refresher.  Still light to moderate snow and almost up to 2".  Bit more to go.

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

I usually put more emphase on trends than individual model runs.  The trend is our friend.  SNE definitely looks to be in the game for Sunday but still more work to get it up here,  at least the heavier stuff.  This storm looks nice for the Mid Atlantic and the NE cities.  Colder down there than the last storm.  

Meanwhile today's event has been a nice refresher.  Still light to moderate snow and almost up to 2".  Bit more to go.

My goal with Sunday is to get it far enough NW to squeeze a couple inches out of it on the SE/E flow and make sure the low is strong enough to kick off good upslope after it passes. 

A couple more moves like the 06z to 12z GFS should do that.

51 minutes ago, Angus said:

They definitely have a very "surfy" feel to them! They are a blast in powder - no chance of going over the handlebars in those things!! This is my 9th season with them since they get such limited use, but I have brought them onto Crescent Ridge both times I have gone so far.

I do more touring than I do riding the chairlift, so the Salomon MTN 95 Explore is what I ride on probably 90% of days. It's 95 underfoot with good tip rocker and a stiff tail. Kind of a jack-of-all-trades for ski mountaineering. It skis surprisingly well in powder due to the tip rocker, but it's nice and stiff for the more technical terrain we have in the ravines around here. 

Back to the weather...I measured a half inch at 11am so hopefully the observations of ~2" totals upstream eventually translate up here. Snowing nicely now, and down a degree to 25F.

1 hour ago, jculligan said:

I've got four skis in rotation right now. If I'm skiing fast groomers with no uphill involved, I have a pair of race skis that are 72 underfoot. My two touring skis are 95 and 97 underfoot, which seems to be perfect in most conditions here in the East...then I have a fat pair of 115s that I might only use once or twice a season. Definitely good to have a quiver!!

That's solid! I'm running 5 right now but the GS skis and powder boards (also 115 underfoot) rarely get used. My SL skis and all mountain skis (Line Supernatural, 86 underfoot) are good early/mid season and then I have my touring skis (4FRNT Raven, 104 underfoot, full rocker, 29 m radius)....so they're slightly flawed but ski a lot more reasonably than the #s suggest. Next year I'm looking to maybe ditch the pow boards and GS skis for another touring setup, something mid 90s and with a bit of camber to push into. 

Sorry if OT, but this thread and the ski thread sometimes seem like one in the same :D