Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Just now, PhineasC said:

I am thinking there is about 13-15 new out there. We will see what the guy says tomorrow after careful measuring in his protected spot. 

Are you (also BWT3650) going to try to come up north full time moving forward in winters? Going to be hell to be stuck back in the mid atl for subsequent winters if not...lol.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am thinking there is about 13-15 new out there. We will see what the guy says tomorrow after careful measuring in his protected spot. 

I bet he comes in with like 18” on big water.

You’ve certainly hit the spot that I talk about where the view never really changes no matter how much snow falls.  It’s just white.  Your web cam today looked similar to how it did before hand, lol.  Just a white blanket... 2” or 15”, hard to tell the difference, ha ha.

16 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Are you (also BWT3650) going to try to come up north full time moving forward in winters? Going to be hell to be stuck back in the mid atl for subsequent winters if not...lol.

Pending a major life issue, the plan right now is to spend the bulk of the winters here and the bulk of the summers at the beach. We love it here. No AC is kinda annoying in summer and we need the beach and boat time. 

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I bet he comes in with like 18” on big water.

You’ve certainly hit the spot that I talk about where the view never really changes no matter how much snow falls.  It’s just white.  Your web cam today looked similar to how it did before hand, lol.  Just a white blanket... 2” or 15”, hard to tell the difference, ha ha.

I can only tell while shoveling. Some areas I neglected still had a couple inches of glacier from the post-Grinch week under everything else. LOL

The layers are very obvious. It’s pretty crazy. Like playing amateur geologist. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I can only tell while shoveling. Some areas I neglected still had a couple inches of glacier from the post-Grinch week under everything else. LOL

The layers are very obvious. It’s pretty crazy. Like playing amateur geologist. 

Yes!  I love that.  The mushroom caps on like the hedge row out front have the very clear layers visible.  It is cool later in the winter to dig a pit and check out the layers.

Event totals: 6.9” Snow/0.38” L.E.

I headed home from Burlington to Waterbury this afternoon through what seemed like 2”/hr snowfall – the type of snowfall where the road is entirely covered white, and the air is like a thick blanket of white because the huge flakes just block out everything.  When visibility is already so low like that, you’ve really got to have your defroster and wipers keeping up with the demands, because any sort of slight obscuring of the windshield basically drops the overall visibility to zero.  Add on the fact that the snow is coming down so fast that the plows can’t keep up and you’ve got inches of accumulation on the roadway, so it’s like driving on one of those snow-driving courses.  And there’s also that momentary shock when the lights of the car in front of you disappear and you realize you have no idea where the road goes.  As always, a fun drive in the Subaru, but you never know if you’re going to get delayed because somebody went off the road and backed up all the cars on French Hill or something.  The combination of far fewer cars on the road due to COVID-19/snow day, and the fact that people just really know how to drive in the snow around here, definitely made it an enjoyable run through the maelstrom.

I do think the snowfall rate was up near 2”/hr though, because I found 4” on the snowboards when I got home, and my wife said that all that new snow fell in just a couple of hours.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 4.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.21 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 19.0

Snow Density: 5.3% H2O

Temperature: 23.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 19.0 inches

14 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I wonder if upslope kicks in? I was surprised at the temps up here. Def a dense wet snow. Most of the day we were a tad above 30. Definite wind shift and temps have cooled a few degrees. Fascinating evolution. It was fun tracking. Whens the next storm? 

Friday looks like a 5-7 deal and then Monday may be another coastal. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I wish...the kids being back in school full time next year will cut down on the long stretches of time..it will be more long weekends and living through you guys during the week.  My wife and I do a couple mid week stretches each year to get some kid free time shredding together, but no more 3 week trips.  This year has been special getting so much time up here and really enjoying the area.  

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Pending a major life issue, the plan right now is to spend the bulk of the winters here and the bulk of the summers at the beach. We love it here. No AC is kinda annoying in summer and we need the beach and boat time. 

1 minute ago, bwt3650 said:

I wish...the kids being back in school full time next year will cut down on the long stretches of time..it will be more long weekends and living through you guys during the week.  My wife and I do a couple mid week stretches each year to get some kid free time shredding together, but no more 3 week trips.  This year has been special getting so much time up here and really enjoying the area.  

I was just going to ask @PhineasC, how would you be able to spend the bulk of your winters in NH if you have school aged kids? Unless you plan to send them to school there.

Of course with the virus, everything is remote, but eventually schools will fully open up again.

3 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Right, thats what I was thinking the main issue would be kids school.  Awesome experience this winter though that they can have as a lasting memory.

6 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I was just going to ask @PhineasC, how would you be able to spend the bulk of your winters in NH if you have school aged kids? Unless you plan to send them to school there.

Of course with the virus, everything is remote, but eventually schools will fully open up again.

You can home school kids anywhere, for sure.  Though I have a good friend in the ski industry over there who lives in a part of North Conway solely for the kids' school.  They'd rather live more isolated but I guess North Conway has the best school(s) in the region it sounds like.

6 minutes ago, Fozz said:

We homeschool now, and that isn't going to change. Not an option for everyone, but it works for us.

We are enjoying this lifestyle of traveling whenever we want, and the kids are getting exercise and conquering their fears every single afternoon on the local mountains. My kids went from basically never having skied to crushing diamond runs in 2 months. It's amazing. Why shut that down?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

I think we do even better than that up by me.  This weekend should be great powder skiing if the winds don’t get too bad.  Wildcat looks like it’s going to be sweet this weekend too.  You heading out?

We were at Bretton Woods today. Cannon tomorrow. I will let Wildcat marinate a while, wasn't too happy last time. It's not what we are looking for right now.

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We homeschool now, and that isn't going to change. Not an option for everyone, but it works for us.

We are enjoying this lifestyle of traveling whenever we want, and the kids are getting exercise and conquering their fears every single afternoon on the local mountains. My kids went from basically never having skied to crushing diamond runs in 2 months. It's amazing. Why shut that down?

Never shut that down... going to raise some great ski bums, ha (that's a term of endearment by the way).  They'll get addicted to that challenge and feeling of freedom.  I know so many who grew up around here (I'm jealous) who went to ski academies and local schools that ski for gym class, and even as adults they ski all the time.  It's a active mountain lifestyle.  Props man.  Your kids are very lucky.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Never shut that down... going to raise some great ski bums, ha (that's a term of endearment by the way).  They'll get addicted to that challenge and feeling of freedom.  I know so many who grew up around here (I'm jealous) who went to ski academies and local schools that ski for gym class, and even as adults they ski all the time.  It's a active mountain lifestyle.  Props man.  Your kids are very lucky.

Yup, it's great. My 6 year old girl is crazy. When we are on the lift she is staring into the woods and searching for bumps. She's addicted to that stuff. Already bored of groomers with her old man. My knees have been achy lately. LOL 

She's the one off on the ungroomed side of the trail or skiing the lift lines.

She loves when she sees some dude cut over on a trail and disappear down a little unmarked chute into the trees. We are slowly working into that stuff. She has been skiing for only two months. It's nuts. She'll probably just follow one of those guys one afternoon, and I will need to chase her down with my two older boys. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bwt3650 said:

Yeah, that’s awesome.  Mine are getting the addiction.  The windchill was about -20 last Friday and they still couldn’t wait to get at it after school.  It’s fun having something i love so much to share with them.  

skiing for gym class?  I feel like I was cheated in high school now.

So good to learn when young. They are like Gumby. Super wipeout and they just bounce right back up, plastered in snow and grinning. LOL

Falling at speed for me would bring flashes of hospital bills and possibly a wheelchair. Just part of being older and cautious. haha

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So good to learn when young. They are like Gumby. Super wipeout and they just bounce right back up, plastered in snow and grinning. LOL

Falling at speed for me would bring flashes of hospital bills and possibly a wheelchair. Just part of being older and cautious. haha

Get a beach home in SWRI put MD behind you. Less commute and you can have surfer kids as well 

Untitled2.jpg

photo0jpg.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

We were at Bretton Woods today. Cannon tomorrow. I will let Wildcat marinate a while, wasn't too happy last time. It's not what we are looking for right now.

I work for Bretton Woods Vacations out of the Peabody and Smith Realty building at the entrance to Bretton Woods- Thurs-Mon...you should pop in and say hi sometime 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alex said:

Nice! As always these setups don’t work for us until the wind shifts. 2” with some pretty serious downsloping. But no complaints, the upslope will come!

Was just looking at the AMC reports. The highland center had a report of 8" new around 11 am this morning. Thats a pretty crazy difference in just a few miles. I guess in a setup like this the snow made it just to the notch but not really past it. Pretty awesome microclimates in that area. 

I’m hearing 9-11 back at jay this morning.  Looks like a great snowy, powder day too.  Should be some excellent mid-winter skiing this weekend.  Anyone have the Mansfield data?  Curious if they have caught up to normal yet?

side note:  the nne magic followed me to Jersey for these few days.  20-30 locally and a pack that’s not going anywhere fast.  Roads still snow covered and light snow again this morning, making 4 straight days.  Don’t ever recall that in New Jersey.  

39 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

I’m hearing 9-11 back at jay this morning.  Looks like a great snowy, powder day too.  Should be some excellent mid-winter skiing this weekend.  Anyone have the Mansfield data?  Curious if they have caught up to normal yet?

side note:  the nne magic followed me to Jersey for these few days.  20-30 locally and a pack that’s not going anywhere fast.  Roads still snow covered and light snow again this morning, making 4 straight days.  Don’t ever recall that in New Jersey.  

Big snows in New Jersey are much the same as those in Maine (in fact, true for DCA thru CAR) except for temps, just less common.  However, the usual NJ event pounds and then leaves - the continuing snow phenomenon is more a thing at upslope locales and northern Maine.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Big snows in New Jersey are much the same as those in Maine (in fact, true for DCA thru CAR) except for temps, just less common.  However, the usual NJ event pounds and then leaves - the continuing snow phenomenon is more a thing at upslope locales and northern Maine.

This storm was a little strange, though. No upslope afterwards and almost zero wind here. It was ripping snow yesterday and dead calm. Winds never even came in after the storm passed.