Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

3 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

100 percent agree.  Plus the whole mountain micro-climate and the outdoor activities in the greens.  We are at around 18-20 here so far. Last time we were over 18 was 2016..too long to wait for big snows when we can see that  several times a year up in northern Vermont.  Still, it was cool to watch those bands sit over me for several hours.  Got lucky this year on the timing.  Weekend looks much better up north now too.

Looks like a great mid winter period coming up.

Amazing timing to be back for that!  I would’ve traveled for it if I had a house about to get smoked like that too, ha ha.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Any sign of @jculligan?

This is shaping up to be an awesome event for the eastern slopes.

Hey there! Been a busy few days so I haven't really had a chance to follow this event very closely. Caught up for a bit today, and I agree that I'm sitting pretty for this event. Fascinating how tenacious the RGEM is at popping big numbers in my neighborhood compared to the other models; it really nukes us with a TROWAL feature as the secondary low takes over in the GOM tomorrow evening. I'd love to think we can get into a period of 2"/hour rates tomorrow evening, but I'm not really buying it until I see some of the globals warm up to the idea. The overnight models runs could be interesting.

Currently 24/21 as we await the first flakes here in Jackson. After a run of pretty frigid nights, mid 20s feels downright tropical out there. Bring on the snow!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

5 years between 24" storms is a ridiculous return rate for NJ--just seems like 2ft storms grow on trees right now.

There was one in 83 and I waited until I was 16 in 96 to see another...so I agree, much better in the last 10-15 years..but there are some real dud winters in there too like last year where there was nothing over a few inches.  I’m just grateful to have the place up in jay now where it consistently snows and winters looks like winter.  40s and brown grass in Jan/feb is depressing.

6 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

There was one in 83 and I waited until I was 16 in 96 to see another...so I agree, much better in the last 10-15 years..but there are some real dud winters in there too like last year where there was nothing over a few inches.  I’m just grateful to have the place up in jay now where it consistently snows and winters looks like winter.  40s and brown grass in Jan/feb is depressing.

Oh, totally know. I was 17 in 96 and also grew up in Mid Atl so we are in the same boat as far as our childhood storms.  83, 87, 96 were the biggest in recall as a kid. Feb 87 I think was a relative surprise in the western Philly burbs that dropped 2ft. 

Of course 93 too..lot of sleet with that..think around 12" in that.

35 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Oh, totally know. I was 17 in 96 and also grew up in Mid Atl so we are in the same boat as far as our childhood storms.  83, 87, 96 were the biggest in recall as a kid. Feb 87 I think was a relative surprise in the western Philly burbs that dropped 2ft. 

Of course 93 too..lot of sleet with that..think around 12" in that.

Forgot about 87 but I don’t really recall that being over a foot by me..think it was more philly south, but my memory could be wrong.  It just doesn’t stand out.  93 was a little over a foot by me.  Sleet killed the big totals but there was inches of sleet with that.  Two feet is a lot of snow without upslope or lake effect help.

As I mentioned in the storm thread, I'll be going up to Vermont and I have a place booked in Northfield, which is not far from Montpelier. I'm planning to stay for the rest of the month, and maybe into March. Hoping to see a lot of snow up there, and I especially look forward to the skiing.

I followed quarantine and tested COVID negative, so in terms of pandemic guidelines I'm all set.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fozz said:

As I mentioned in the storm thread, I'll be going up to Vermont and I have a place booked in Northfield, which is not far from Montpelier. I'm planning to stay for the rest of the month, and maybe into March. Hoping to see a lot of snow up there, and I especially look forward to the skiing.

I followed quarantine and tested COVID negative, so in terms of pandemic guidelines I'm all set.

That's near me.  Are you in town or in the hills outside of town?

9.3"  here.  Probably lost some accumulation on the downslope with the wind and fractured dendrites.   The Landgrove Cocorahs guy near me at 1900' I think had  little over 12" but almost identical liquid to me, so that makes me think the wind on the western slopes brought down the accum a bit.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Getting crushed here. Waves of precip just slamming into the eastern slopes. Basically looks like a blocked upslope flow on the western side of the Northern Greens.

HRRR gives me another 10" or so from here, already 7-8" down. 15-20 is possible.

Yea, and by the time this moves out the Friday shortwave is coming in...days and days.

Hoping for a couple extra inches here before Friday.

About 7" down as of 8:30am with steady light snow continuing. The Canadian/RGEM showed the TROWAL feature blossoming around mid-morning so I'll know pretty shortly if this will end up being a "big one" or something more pedestrian. Skied Doublehead early this morning and the snow was surprisingly dense. Some of that was likely due to wind, but I think there's a fair amount of water content in this snow as well. It is 29F so definitely a "warm" storm by early February standards.

Phin - I'm thinking about bagging work tomorrow to ski the Crescent Ridge glades again. I'm going to be watching your obs very closely today!!

29 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Getting crushed here. Waves of precip just slamming into the eastern slopes. Basically looks like a blocked upslope flow on the western side of the Northern Greens.

HRRR gives me another 10" or so from here, already 7-8" down. 15-20 is possible.

Nice! As always these setups don’t work for us until the wind shifts. 2” with some pretty serious downsloping. But no complaints, the upslope will come!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jculligan said:

About 7" down as of 8:30am with steady light snow continuing. The Canadian/RGEM showed the TROWAL feature blossoming around mid-morning so I'll know pretty shortly if this will end up being a "big one" or something more pedestrian. Skied Doublehead early this morning and the snow was surprisingly dense. Some of that was likely due to wind, but I think there's a fair amount of water content in this snow as well. It is 29F so definitely a "warm" storm by early February standards.

Phin - I'm thinking about bagging work tomorrow to ski the Crescent Ridge glades again. I'm going to be watching your obs very closely today!!

Radar looks to be building to the SE and headed here.