Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.08” L.E.

The snowfall has recently picked up this evening, and it may be associated with the echoes that have popped up on the radar, but the look is very localized over the Champlain Valley at the moment.

27JAN21A.gif

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 24.6 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

4 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

About an inch over night and a mix between snow globe flakes and a steadier light snow right now.  Should be snowy all day.

B9AFC54E-08E3-4892-9286-264534B47B37.jpeg

Yeah, we’re into the back side moisture that some of the models like the GFS have been showing for this system (Winter Storm Nathaniel) to potentially persist through Friday/Saturday.  It was hard to know how it would play out because only some of the models were showing it, but it looks like it’s there on most global and mesoscale models now.  Thus far it’s been fairly light here, with a tenth or two of new snowfall per six-hour block, but we did just get some steadier flakes that dropped another half inch fairly quickly.  It’s certainly been keeping us with that classing NNE mountain regime of flakes in the air.  As PF would say…

VTsnowglobe.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

GYX distro said it would all clear out earlier this morning but still going here. Nothing "epic" but keeps the wintry appeal going.

I’ve really stopped caring about epic. I’d rather have these great, prolonged 2” a day patterns than the heartache of coastal cutter no cutter etc etc. 

47 minutes ago, alex said:

I’ve really stopped caring about epic. I’d rather have these great, prolonged 2” a day patterns than the heartache of coastal cutter no cutter etc etc. 

It’s cool to see that there are folks out there who like that type of snowfall regime, although I’d say it’s still quite a minority of the people I’ve seen on this weather forum.  Most of the forum focuses on tracking big winter storms.  That’s a huge part of the winter climatology for a lot of places outside the mountains or LES areas though.

From the perspective of many skiers, a winter pattern with consistency is where it’s at.  Yeah, larger storms are important for base building or getting in those bigger powder days, and they’re awesome when they come around, but it’s the daily snows that will really keep the snow quality up.  To get by with generally good to great ski conditions in a feast or famine snowfall climate, there really needs to be great snow preservation, such as is found in the high elevation/dry air climates of some of the higher mountain ranges.

SnowyClimate.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.Spin said:

It’s cool to see that there are folks out there who like that type of snowfall regime, although I’d say it’s still quite a minority of the people I’ve seen on this weather forum.  Most of the forum focuses on tracking big winter storms.  That’s a huge part of the winter climatology for a lot of places outside the mountains or LES areas though.

From the perspective of many skiers, a winter pattern with consistency is where it’s at.  Yeah, larger storms are important for base building or getting in those bigger powder days, and they’re awesome when they come around, but it’s the daily snows that will really keep the snow quality up.  To get by with generally good to great ski conditions in a feast or famine snowfall climate, there really needs to be great snow preservation, such as is found in the high elevation/dry air climates of some of the higher mountain ranges.

SnowyClimate.jpg

I think that’s a great point. Growing up near the Alps in Italy, the Alps had great snow but not frequent at all. Patterns there can be very stubborn - you can have a 2 week period that brings 10 feet of snow, and then nothing for a month. But everything is above 3000 feet so the snow preservation is usually great unless you get what they call “Phoen” which is a downsloping wind from the north, that can wipe out a deep pack in no time. 

Here, while the East Coast is famous for its ice, upslope prone location actually have really good snow quality because of the consistent refreshers. I haven’t counted but it seems like we have measurable snow at least 50% of the days. That keeps surfaces nice and fresh, and trees covered. Great for skiing and so scenic!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Guilty as charged.  Since moving south from Fort Kent I've lived in places that get little or none of the endless non-synoptic snow, and that colors my thinking.  That said, we've had mood flakes almost all day, ending with a single snow-dislodging gust about 3:30.  Daytime flakes totaled "T" but the scenery is as wintery as any time this season.  

4 hours ago, J.Spin said:

SnowyClimate.jpg

I’ll take the consistency of the northern greens every day of the week.  Love this climate.

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 3.1” Snow/0.09” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0% H2O

Temperature: 15.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 13.5 inches

This is how you run a "boring" period in NNE!

55 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Snow became steadier as the afternoon went on.  Sneaky good day out there.  Picked up about 3 throughout the day and looks good for tonight.  Can feel the winds picking up. 

Had a nice day at Cannon. The couple inches of fluff took the edge off conditions. The cold came in late afternoon and shut us down however. It gets balls cold there once the sun gets behind the ridges.

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

This is how you run a boring period in NNE!

Yeah, when your slow periods are like this, you know you’re in a decent winter climate.  I was up at Bolton for a bit this afternoon in 1-2”/hr snows.  As I mentioned earlier, the slowest periods in the winter are typically when we get pinned under that frigid arctic air for an extended period.  Other than that, it’s hard to go a week in midwinter without at least a small event or two.

InsurancePolicy.jpg

Picked up 0.2" early this morning to break 36" on the season. Alex and Phin are both within an hour's drive, and it never ceases to amaze just how different the climate is on the other side of the Notches. But this is well established now. 

With little chance of meaningful snow here, the real story in this area will be the prospect of our first sub-zero morning. So far my coldest has been 2F back on 12/16. If we're going to go sub-zero, I think it'll be either tonight or tomorrow night. Saturday night could be the coldest on valley floors, but we'll be inverted by then at this elevation. How low will we go...