Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Has me in a relatively dry zone. A kinda weird setup so we will see what happens. I don't have much experience with these inverted trough setups. 

Mood flakes are fine by me, the next event that looks promising is early Feb.

That is the time frame that i have been favoring was the 1st-2nd period when the block relaxes.

This is a good headline...

Pair airlifted off Mt. Lafayette after one loses sneakers, runs barefoot in deep snow

By Paul Feely New Hampshire Union Leader

Jan 24, 2021 Updated 19 hrs ago

https://www.unionleader.com/news/safety/pair-airlifted-off-mt-lafayette-after-one-loses-sneakers-runs-barefoot-in-deep-snow/article_1a793a64-5d9f-5505-82a5-538257b9bbbc.html

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Pair airlifted off Mt. Lafayette after one loses sneakers, runs barefoot in deep snow

https://www.unionleader.com/news/safety/pair-airlifted-off-mt-lafayette-after-one-loses-sneakers-runs-barefoot-in-deep-snow/article_1a793a64-5d9f-5505-82a5-538257b9bbbc.html

...just wow!  :facepalm:

On a lighter note, 32 turkeys are enjoying about the only grass they will find within a mile of my house.  The south facing steep part of the lawn has just a bit of grass.  Otherwise it's a tough ice and snow covered landscape.  Hope they can enjoy the pickins quickly as things will probably get covered up tomorrow

turkeys.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

-20 Saturday night? We still haven’t had the usual-20 degree night this year

Bottom of winter to date is -5, though we may drop below that by sunrise tomorrow.  All 22 winters here have reached -10 and 18 have reached -20 (plus a -17 and -19.)  Lack of real cold so far is uncanny.  However, in the last 6 winters the coldest came in Feb/Mar 4 times.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is the second incident I've heard of involving trail runners in last week, a trail runner got disoriented on the lion's head trail on washington last week and had to call in help. I didn't read the incident report carefully but the person was completely unprepared for the weather. this is just amazingly stupid, and you see lots of stupid in the NH mountains in the winter.

22 minutes ago, Angus said:

This is the second incident I've heard of involving trail runners in last week, a trail runner got disoriented on the lion's head trail on washington last week and had to call in help. I didn't read the incident report carefully but the person was completely unprepared for the weather. this is just amazingly stupid, and you see lots of stupid in the NH mountains in the winter.

Lol only in the NH mountains in the winter? 

An interesting take... I have generally had a much better outlook on this winter at home vs. on the mountain overall.  The overall tenor of the season has been lacking at high elevation.  Under 1,500-2,000ft has seemed to do better relative to average.  Snow on the ground (grass covered) consistency has seemed high this season regardless.  Depth hasn't been there except recently... but consistency of snow is worth something.

Despite a decent snowpack gain after settling,  the local Mansfield stake has been running a decent snow depth day deficit.  Say that three times fast, ha.

Even after a good cycle/week, the snowpack is still decently below average on the long term site.

Jan_25_Stake.jpg.53e06cdf41aa8330353894cdbe21f1c5.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

An interesting take... I have generally had a much better outlook on this winter at home vs. on the mountain overall.  The overall tenor of the season has been lacking at high elevation.  Under 1,500-2,000ft has seemed to do better relative to average.  Snow on the ground (grass covered) consistency has seemed high this season regardless.  Depth hasn't been there except recently... but consistency of snow is worth something.

Despite a decent snowpack gain after settling,  the local Mansfield stake has been running a decent snow depth day deficit.  Say that three times fast, ha.

Even after a good cycle/week, the snowpack is still decently below average on the long term site.

Jan_25_Stake.jpg.53e06cdf41aa8330353894cdbe21f1c5.jpg

Just eyeballing from the plot, it looks like SDD are in the ~50% range for Mansfield?

Last week represented a good boost for the snowpack here at our site though – SDD were ~52% of average before that stretch, and now it’s up to 70% of average as of today.

We’ve been doing much better on the season with respect to snowfall, but last week was still a solid contribution – it was a fairly symmetrical flip, bringing season snowfall from 8.2” behind average to 8.0” ahead of average.

12 hours ago, alex said:

Lol only in the NH mountains in the winter? 

Seems like about half the episodes of North Woods Law from NH include a mountain rescue.  In the 4-5 years of the Maine version I recall only about one per year (not including the multiple inclusions of the Gerry Largay saga.)

In other news, the groomer went by the house this morning an onto the unmaintained town road beyond, making a nice smooth path - the road is easily drivable when not snow-covered.  I may go down to where the trail enters our woodlot to see whether he turned there or just groomed the mile of road/trail, to where the trail heads north into the woods.  Maybe the club sees more snow than I do in the near future.

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Seems like about half the episodes of North Woods Law from NH include a mountain rescue.  In the 4-5 years of the Maine version I recall only about one per year (not including the multiple inclusions of the Gerry Largay saga.)

In other news, the groomer went by the house this morning an onto the unmaintained town road beyond, making a nice smooth path - the road is easily drivable when not snow-covered.  I may go down to where the trail enters our woodlot to see whether he turned there or just groomed the mile of road/trail, to where the trail heads north into the woods.  Maybe the club sees more snow than I do in the near future.

Pup and I checked out the grooming, which did head thru the woodlot but only made it 9/10 of the way - ongoing tranny issues on the tractor ended its day.  (Met the driver, lives 1/4 mile from our home, coming out after trying a fix, will attempt tomorrow to get enough repair to limp it out of the woods.)  The sled scraped some moss off the rocks and plowed some frozen mud, but left a platform that won't take as much snow to make a real trail.

Snow has commenced here. 25/18 with decent flake size. Not expecting much, but it's always nice to get a little refresher. Ventured into the yard for some depth measurements this afternoon and came up with an average of 10-11" in most spots. Not sure how that measures up compared to the historical average, but at least we're doing a lot better than the valley.

Either way, it looks like a nice wintry period coming up with a light refresher tonight, deep cold air incoming Friday/Saturday and then a possible coastal early next week. Fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, Angus said:

@wxeyeNH how is the ice building on newfound? i'm planning on spending the weekend on winnisquam and would love to get some shore  line skating if it freezes sufficiently. thanks if you have any insight.

Gene posted some good shots on FB of the lake ice, hopefully he can share here.

BTV had a graphic about Lake Champlain ice and the little coverage year to date compared to other times.

C0A30A7F-417A-496D-8AF7-4AE4BEFC01EF.jpeg.4434ea605b7f381f5e9cb1019ab806dd.jpeg

Also in a Darwin Award attempt a couple guys decided to take their truck out on the Lake Champlain ice (Mallots Bay I think?) at 8pm on Sunday night and about 10 minutes later found themselves fighting for their lives to exit the vehicle and get back to dry land.

5A2E7A72-246E-4726-A2D0-D446A56DA56A.jpeg.9505f818371c3835a72fa403c38be93d.jpeg

Just now, powderfreak said:

Gene posted some good shots on FB of the lake ice, hopefully he can share here.

BTV had a graphic about Lake Champlain ice and the little coverage year to date compared to other times.

C0A30A7F-417A-496D-8AF7-4AE4BEFC01EF.jpeg.4434ea605b7f381f5e9cb1019ab806dd.jpeg

Also in a Darwin Award attempt a couple guys decided to take their truck out on the Lake Champlain ice (Mallots Bay I think?) at 8pm on Sunday night and about 10 minutes later found themselves fighting for their lives to exit the vehicle and get back to dry land.

5A2E7A72-246E-4726-A2D0-D446A56DA56A.jpeg.9505f818371c3835a72fa403c38be93d.jpeg

LOL now it's frozen under there.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL now it's frozen under there.

Haha yeah, people have been walking out to see it and said it’s now frozen under 3” of new ice.  I can’t imagine being in the dark on the water in a truck and then have it go through... quite the “oh shit” moment.  Second only to the reaction of getting the bill afterwards when they have to fish your truck out of the lake lol.

I’m not sure what time it started, but as of ~6:30 P.M. it was snowing pretty vigorously with some 1 to 2 cm flakes and ~3/4” of accumulation on the boards.  It seems like fairly dry snow at this point, but I’ll have some info if I run an analysis later this evening.

Yikes, see my comment a few nights ago regarding those trail runners in NH! How stupid do you get driving a trunk out onto any ice given the winter we've had so far. Can you even file an insurance claim for something like that?