Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Event totals: 8.3” Snow/0.20” L.E.

Well, flake size is way down today, and at 5.0% H2O this is the densest snow I’ve seen from this whole storm.  We’ll blame those damn arctic hounds PF was talking about and assume they’re messing up the dendritic growth.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 17.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 17.5 inches

Sitting inside in our sunroom with the woodstove roaring.  Cat wants to go outside.  Looks inviting through glass...but...

We are right at the heart of deep winter.

Noon  15.5F  Partly cloudy with passing flurries and blowing snow.  Snow depth only 5"   about 36" for the season

While we stay high and dry nice pattern for the Mid Atlantic this week

46 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Avalanche on Mt. Washington.

One rescuer dead while looking for two lost hikers.

I know folks like to live exciting lives out in wild nature, but always keep in mind the people who need to risk their lives and possibly end up dead rescuing your thrill-seeking ass.

Horrible news. Agreed that today is a day you shouldn't venture in there, you’re not just putting your own life at risk. Has news been posted online? 

14 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

Horrible news. Agreed that today is a day you shouldn't venture in there, you’re not just putting your own life at risk. Has news been posted online? 

True arctic conditions on the higher summits today.   Actual temperatures below zero with strong winds, blowing snow and avalanche dangers.  Just brutal conditions.  Are the 2 hikers still missing in addition to the death of the rescuer?  

57 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Avalanche on Mt. Washington.

One rescuer dead while looking for two lost hikers.

I know folks like to live exciting lives out in wild nature, but always keep in mind the people who need to risk their lives and possibly end up dead rescuing your thrill-seeking ass.

Damn there was a skier buried in one yesterday but his head was just close enough to the top that he could get air.  Rest of body was two feet down in rubble.  He survived.  Sucks extra hard when a rescuer dies.

I know there was a partial burial of some folks yesterday who had no gear, training, etc, but I haven't seen any news elsewhere of a slide/death today. That would be tragic, especially if it was a rescuer...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Reached a high of 16.8F about an hour ago and now down to 14.7F.   In the coldest airmasses that I have seen I have stayed just below zero during maximum heating.  So although this is a cold airmass it is not even close to what can be experienced.  

True but because it’s been so mild, this feels colder than it usually does. Most January’s, highs in the teens don't register as all that cold. 

33 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

13 minutes ago, drstuess said:

I know there was a partial burial of some folks yesterday who had no gear, training, etc, but I haven't seen any news elsewhere of a slide/death today. That would be tragic, especially if it was a rescuer...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Got a text from one of my buddies up here saying this. I asked him if he has a source on it.

Checked out the club trail on our woodlot.  Looks like 2 sleds since Saturday's storm.  It's pretty much ungroomable - they would bend some metal on the embedded rocks in the northerly 500' as the trail approaches the (unmaintained) gravel road.  Walking off trail was miserable, with a random 2/3 of steps punching thru the crust.  Dog stayed up and loved it.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Reached a high of 16.8F about an hour ago and now down to 14.7F.   In the coldest airmasses that I have seen I have stayed just below zero during maximum heating.  So although this is a cold airmass it is not even close to what can be experienced.  

Yeah...cheap midnight high for us as well. 26.3F a little after midnight, but an afternoon high of 21.4F just before 11am. Most of the day was in the upper 10s.

16.9F right now. No free ranging this evening.

44 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Had to get my snow fix before I was going to lose my mind.  Lol

3B7FF74D-AA3D-4927-8F79-309F40E88AFE.jpeg

I saw a bunch of sleds out last night down near either 105 or 118 (maybe Richford). Not sure the towns around here or the trails, but conditions looked solid.  There does trail system in that area along the hi-way, as I see the crossings in a bunch of spots.  Looks like tons of fun but I think my wife will leave me if I pick up another hobby.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Damn there was a skier buried in one yesterday but his head was just close enough to the top that he could get air.  Rest of body was two feet down in rubble.  He survived.  Sucks extra hard when a rescuer dies.

I can see how it can happen when it gets so deep.  People (myself included) forget the dangers of the mountains in deep winter sometimes.  So much respect for the rescuers and patrol for what they do.  

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

For reference, the Randolph observer has recorded 30.4” over this same stretch.

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I see a 30.6” for Stamford, VT and 32.3” for Rochester, VT too.  Then drops to a bunch of mid-20s.

Been a pretty good cycle for Adirondacks, Greens and up to the northern side of the Whites.

There was technically that more substantial synoptic storm to kick off this run, but there’s really no two ways about it at this point; you’ve definitely been able to experience a solid NNE bread and butter week now Phin.

It’s funny, the whole “days and days” thing is actually a sarcastic snow weenie meme that they use in the main threads sometimes, but it’s not a joke up here, it really does that.  Actually, tomorrow will be the 30th day in a row that we’ve recorded a trace of more of snow at our site, so we’re in quite a long run of flakes since Christmas

DaysAndDaysOfSnow.jpg

Bread&Butter4.jpg

• Like 1

A good sign of a cold air mass is when the ASOS just reports haze... that arctic air with crystals perpetually in the air, sometimes it’s snowing, often it’s just really small crystals blown around in the wind.  All day today at the mountain was somewhere between that fine line of light snow and just arctic haze.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

May go below 10F for the first time since 12/19. That's insane.

It really is crazy how warm it’s been for so long... but yet also below freezing most of the time.  Today felt brutal on the chairlift getting blasted by wind at 1F.  But this would’ve been a warm day some months (ahem Feb 2015), ha.

Honestly today should be a few times per week occurrence at this point, not a note-worthy cold shot.