Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

:lol: Just need a "Feel the Bern" sticker on the back to complete the package.  Wonder if Phin would like one of those?? lol

How are studded tires on dry highway?

I may pick up a beater Subaru with the required bumper stickers to use to sneak past the quarantine blockade into Vermont. Gorham and Berlin are more big truck territory. 

• Like 1

My driveway is long, has several steep spots, banked turns, and tight loops. Would be a fun ski run LOL. UPS refuses to even come down the driveway now after they got stuck too many times. The plow guy also got stuck already. I would need to get a lot of land grading done to improve the situation. I get a lot of complaints about it. I had it paved which helped with snow clearing but made it even slicker. The rocks before were better for traction.  

29 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Upslope building pre-arctic front in SVT and Western Mass.  5-6" new past 24 hours here.

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-ENX-N0Q-20210122-1906-24-100.thumb.gif.8d6e1b78a4357f21b1be5a3015f91967.gif

Sweet! Seems as though this latest round has favored southern VT. Been a relative lull up north it seems. Will be skiing in Brandon Gap tomorrow. Interested to see what sorts of depths I find there. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I may pick up a beater Subaru with the required bumper stickers to use to sneak past the quarantine blockade into Vermont. Gorham and Berlin are more big truck territory. 

Ha, sounds like Morrisville.  Rollin' coal up and down the streets... trucks racing snowmobiles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Upslope building pre-arctic front in SVT and Western Mass.  5-6" new past 24 hours here.

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-ENX-N0Q-20210122-1906-24-100.thumb.gif.8d6e1b78a4357f21b1be5a3015f91967.gif

Absolutely love orographic and meso-scale snow.  That radar is awesome.  Just ripping snow out of the sky and the only reason is because there's some rock wall in place.

Every winter lover enjoys when there's a way to snow without a synoptic storm.  Adds snowy days to the calendar that otherwise wouldn't be there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

At least it will be cold enough for snow retention. No rainy cutters.

True. Even though more often than not even cutters deliver. It's fun to have these daily snows though.

I have to say that for how abysmal this year has been in the snowfall department, it's been very scenic. Lots of birch benders and days with trees covered in snow for how little snow we've gotten. 

Also, really good snow growth tonight. 

8 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, the Nokian WR series; we learned about them from a close friend who ran them on his Subaru.  We’ve been running them on our Subarus for probably more than a decade now, and we’ve never looked back.  They’re on to the fourth generation at this point (Nokian WR G4), and they’re always trying to improve the unique combination of snow and dry road performance.

Obviously, one can go with a more aggressively winter tire, such as a full blown Nokian snow tire, or even studded tires if they really need to, but the beauty of the WRs is the ability simply “set it and forget it” and really get winter performance close to a full blown snow tire.  Anyone who runs two full sets of tires knows how much of a headache it can be to get them changed, even if you’ve got two sets of rims and you’re doing it yourself, but an even bigger factor that I like removed is the when component.  Around here, especially as someone who is always heading up into the higher elevations to ski, I can need tires to deal with snowy ski area parking lots and snowy inclined roads from October through May.  What are the options – run summer tires just for June, July, August, and September, and leave winter tires on for the other eight months of the year?  Or, do you put them on late/take them off early and deal with potentially getting stuck in snow during the fringe seasons?

Using the WRs really takes all that hassle and guessing out of the equation, and for an all-wheel drive vehicle like a Subaru, you’ve got plenty of great winter performance without having to go to a full blown snow tire or studs.  Yeah, the softer rubber on WRs is going to wear a bit faster than what’s on all seasons or summer tires, but to us, that’s nothing compared to the time and money that would be spent changing tires over on multiple vehicles every spring and fall.

I’m running the wrg4’s on the wife’s suv and the rotiva all terrain on my pickup.  Very satisfied with both.  The traction on them is exceptional.  No complaints of road noise.  I don’t think they make wrg4 in the truck sizes.

9 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Heading up to Phin's hood to check out the Crescent Ridge Glade tomorrow morning. No snow here in Jackson this evening. Hopefully it's a different story north of Pinkham.

Snowing well here now, guessing another 2+ inches today and this evening. Picked up about 5" over the last two days. Over a foot of upslope since the end of the synoptic storm Saturday when I received 15" or so. Depth is 22-24" across the area. I'm sure it's even better several hundred feet up. You should be good!

• Like 1