Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

May need to be careful and reword that to NNE mtns. Otherwise, Dendrite, Lavarock, Dryslot, and Tamarack are going to slam a loaf of scala bread and a stick of butter down your throat. :lol:     Pretty envious of you guys, but that's climo too. Hopefully the synoptics kick in a bit more.

I actually think the text statement in and of itself works fine at base level, and most folks intentionally living anywhere in NNE would probably agree.  With the mountain component as an image, I think it functions as a bit of an accent or add-on.  Obviously, if you’re into mountain weather, mountain recreation, mountain culture, mountain views, etc., then being in the mountains of NNE can sort of work as the icing on the cake, and it can make the NNE experience even better.  But not all of NNE is mountains of course, so whoever designed the shirt was pretty astute in that regard, sort of along the lines of “Hey, NNE is great… and we have some cool mountains too if you’re into that.”

21JUL19A.gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 2.9” Snow/0.12” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 35.0

Snow Density: 2.9% H2O

Temperature: 14.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (5 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

That’s from 12-6pm right? I ask because family lives in the bury. I’m curious how they did. 

15 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 2.9” Snow/0.12” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 35.0

Snow Density: 2.9% H2O

Temperature: 14.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (5 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

You got a healthy pack now, it wasn't long ago it was 5-6 inches.

Loving all the pics from today. Man what a week for the VT crew and it looks like you’re all taking advantage too. The sleeper green mountain pow days are as good as anything you see out west in my opinion. I still have faith that the Synoptics will start rolling at some point but I have serious snow envy right now.  At least it’s still white in my yard, I don’t think lava or dryslot can say the same. 

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

You got a healthy pack now, it wasn't long ago it was 5-6 inches.

Yeah, snowpack depth was 6.0 on the morning of the 16th, so it’s jumped right up in the past several days.  The top is obviously quite fluffy now from all this upslope snow though, so it will be settling with time.

We had about 2” of L.E. in the snowpack when I analyzed it yesterday morning for CoCoRaHS, and we’re probably in the 2.25” range now.  NOHRSC modeling for our site (plot below) seems to be overestimating the snowpack SWE a bit (dark blue), and I think that’s because the model assumes we banked all of the liquid from the front end of Winter Storm Malcolm in the snowpack.  My empirical analyses don’t quite jive with that, and I can only assume that maybe a half inch of liquid percolated down through the snowpack while we were getting that very wet snow or snow/rain mix.  That existing snowpack was fairly powdery/granular/porous vs. fully consolidated/refrozen, and maybe the modeling just didn’t have the density/consistency correct.

Modeling is matching the snowpack depth (light blue) changes reasonably well though.

20JAN21D.jpg

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What a turn around in the past 5-6 days.  It nuked all day on the hill.  Just fat fluffy flakes.

Snow globe got shaken real good.  8" new snow from this round and it's still snowing steadily.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

A good upslope pattern that includes the entire Spine axis is awesome, love how you and Mitch down south can enjoy the same pattern as up here.

I swear I read in the BTV NWS AFD just a couple days ago that Wednesday was the “break” day with respect to snowfall before it picked up again on Thursday.  Today was pretty darned snowy though – we had roughly 3 inches at the house and Bolton Valley looked to pick up at least double that amount, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they got something similar to Mansfield.

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Our family cousin up there is certainly enjoying his time in Waterbury. They moved from Winooski. He’s at Sugarbush quite a bit, almost every day. 

That’s great – Waterbury is in a ridiculously good spot to hit a lot of great skiing around here – you can hit Stowe, ‘bush, MRG, and Bolton in roughly 30 minutes or less, and there’s tons of convenient backcountry skiing nearby as well.  The convenience of being out here in the mountains is just huge with respect to skiing – I was up at Bolton for a session this morning, and then came home and headed back up with the boys for a few more runs in the afternoon.  Granted, we’re really close to Bolton, but I never did that sort of thing when I lived in the Champlain Valley.  You’re typically looking at a minimum of 45 minutes (a bit less for Bolton) to get to those resorts from the Burlington area, and being out here just lowers the threshold (drive time, gas, overall time commitment, etc.) enough, that you can fit in many more sessions during a typical season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

That’s great – Waterbury is in a ridiculously good spot to hit a lot of great skiing around here – you can hit Stowe, ‘bush, MRG, and Bolton in roughly 30 minutes or less, and there’s tons of convenient backcountry skiing nearby as well.  The convenience of being out here in the mountains is just huge with respect to skiing – I was up at Bolton for a session this morning, and then came home and headed back up with the boys for a few more runs in the afternoon.  Granted, we’re really close to Bolton, but I never did that sort of thing when I lived in the Champlain Valley.  You’re typically looking at a minimum of 45 minutes (a bit less for Bolton) to get to those resorts from the Burlington area, and being out here just lowers the threshold (drive time, gas, overall time commitment, etc.) enough, that you can fit in many more sessions during a typical season.

Plus Rt.100 intersects I-89 and it’s midway between Burlington and Montpelier. That’s why they call it the Crossroads of VT. It’s also why property is ridiculously expensive. 

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It nuked all day on the hill.  Just fat fluffy flakes.  Snow globe got shaken real good.

Definitely.  When I arrived up at Bolton’s Timberline area this morning, I knew it was going to be good – in the parking lot is was snowing big fat flakes, it was in the 20s F, and there wasn’t a trace of wind.  I guess one could make an argument for sunshine being the primo setup vs. the flakes, but I’m definitely partial to the potential for constant refreshing of the surfaces when it’s dumping.

The base there is at 1,500’, and up at 2,500’ there was a touch of wind, but nothing too serious – all around the mountain you could just see the upslope snow stacking up on everything.  Even the deciduous branches were just loaded with snow, and it was too such a degree that you couldn’t see a thing through areas of the forest that normally let you catch glimpses of adjoining trails.  The snowfall rate picked up to something in the 1-2”/hr range, and it was intensely quiet.  Between the snow piled on the trees, the air filled with huge, fat flakes, and the ground covered with powder, sounds were muffled to almost nothing.

I headed back up with the boys for another session in the afternoon, and while it continued to snow, it was more in the ½-1”/hr range, so certainly decent, but not quite up to the level of what I’d experienced in the morning.  That was until we were leaving though – when we were packing up at the car, the snowfall rate was back up in that 1-2”/hr range again and combined with light heading more toward dusk, visibility dropped way down.

A few shots from the mountain today:

20JAN21B.jpg

20JAN21E.jpg

20JAN21H.jpg

20JAN21F.jpg

20JAN21C.jpg

20JAN21G.jpg

20JAN21I.jpg

• Like 3

And looking out, there’s really no significant breaks without snow.  I’m sure it can change, but maybe a day or two and then it looks like there’s at least some upslope back.  The perfect nne winter pattern you guys promised.  I guess the difference up here is don’t be scared of red anomalies or cutters that don’t occur around Christmas.  Really enjoying being up here so much more this year.

Just now, bwt3650 said:

And looking out, there’s really no significant breaks without snow.  I’m sure it can change, but maybe a day or two and then it looks like there’s at least some upslope back.  The perfect nne winter pattern you guys promised.  I guess the difference up here is don’t be scared of red anomalies or cutters that don’t occur around Christmas.  Really enjoying being up here so much more this year.

My faith was really shaken by Grinch and then the lengthy dry and warm period afterwards, but this last several days has been epic. It looks to at least stay fairly cold too, so we can keep what we have on the ground.