Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

54 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Yup! The hippies from GBA did a great job of clearing out 4 or 5 ski lines for the rest of us hippies to enjoy. Nice area for a hike too! Saw some families snowshoeing. It's high up there too, parking lot at 2k I think? Even noticeably more snow than when you first pull off of 2. 

It’s about 1850’ right up there, even higher by the parking loop and up the trail a bit. 

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We've had the persistent flurry going on after the period of light snow that dusted things up around 4pm.  It looks like we have more moisture approaching from the west.  I like when Lake Ontario is also adding moisture to a great snow growth profile.  It results in fluff but can also be localized depending on the moisture stream.  30dbz on composite moving through can leave a quick half inch to inch in a short period of time.

Jan_19_845pm.gif.18bc14c1e3503fa19b186f16632e2ed4.gif

BTV NWS latest forecast map for the next few days with several rounds of snow.  Large DGZ zone in the moisture, should be able to pile up some fluff on the Spine through Friday morning.

140638439_4893958627342666_3160000056422

Big fan of that orange dot in northern vt. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Pretty good conditions at Bretton Woods today. They needed this snowfall badly. I know others have said it, but this totally changed the feel on the mountain.

We had a lot of fun on Two Miles Home. It hadn't been groomed at all since they opened it and was pretty wild. Kids did great handling the bumps and dips. They will want to be in the trees soon I bet. This shot is two of the four on Avalon, I think.

Yep, looks like Avalon! How old are you kiddos? Mine are 4 and 6, both love the glades. Bretton Woods is perfect to learn glade skiing - lots of easy, widely spaced glades. When they're ready, Black Forest Glade (off of 2 mile home) is a VERY easy one. Pretty much flat. Not recommended after a big dump, as you pretty much will not move. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, alex said:

Yep, looks like Avalon! How old are you kiddos? Mine are 4 and 6, both love the glades. Bretton Woods is perfect to learn glade skiing - lots of easy, widely spaced glades. When they're ready, Black Forest Glade (off of 2 mile home) is a VERY easy one. Pretty much flat. Not recommended after a big dump, as you pretty much will not move. 

I have 4 kids, 4 6 9 11

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alex said:

Great ages for teaching them to love skiing! 

4 seems to be the age where they had the attention span.  My 9 year old is obsessed.  He memorizes trails throughout New England at all the resorts and collects the trail maps.   He will be like “dad, did Stowe open Christie glades yet?” And I’m like, where the f is that.

Well that was an unbelievable morning ski tour. Pulled into the Pinkham Parking lot to find 2.5" of fresh blower, and amounts quickly increased to at least 4-6" by the time I got up to 3900 feet. The Sherburne Trail skied like a dream with nary a rock or a water bar the entire way down. It's amazing how our base has improved over the last week. Winter is full on!

hermit_1.jpg

hermit_2.jpg

hermit_3.jpg

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Mine are 5, 7, 9...7 and 9 year olds really starting to get good.  My daughter is taking a little longer, but she wanted to snow board instead of ski, which I feel is harder to pick up.  We almost had 4 kids..I think after 2 you are outnumbered so why not.

You guys all trying to field a basketball team or something?  Ha, props to all for that.  Must be awesome watching them learn to ski/ride.

23 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Well that was an unbelievable morning ski tour. Pulled into the Pinkham Parking lot to find 2.5" of fresh blower, and amounts quickly increased to at least 4-6" by the time I got up to 3900 feet. The Sherburne Trail skied like a dream with nary a rock or a water bar the entire way down. It's amazing how our base has improved over the last week. Winter is full on!

hermit_2.jpg

I love this shot

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I have 4 kids, 4 6 9 11

There was a time when I thought you were not a nice person, to be honest. You really have shown your human side since coming up here.  It is so very awesome that you have 4 skiing kids living in NNE.  I appreciate your contributions here and a look inside your life.  Just goes to show what a sewer AP is and always was. I apologize for thinking that about you. Enjoy the skiing. I miss it more than anything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

There was a time when I thought you were not a nice person, to be honest. You really have shown your human side since coming up here.  It is so very awesome that you have 4 skiing kids living in NNE.  I appreciate your contributions here and a look inside your life.  Just goes to show what a sewer AP is and always was. I apologize for thinking that about you. Enjoy the skiing. I miss it more than anything.

LOL

Thanks! :) 

• Haha 1

Yeah....this is the pattern for the mountains. I think I mentioned last week how good of an upslope pattern was coming. It will fire back up too tomorrow after a short lull and could go into Saturday morning.

Would still be nice to grab another synoptic event in there, but it's come a long way since last week.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jculligan said:

hermit_1.jpg

hermit_2.jpg

hermit_3.jpg

Where is that at?

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah....this is the pattern for the mountains. I think I mentioned last week how good of an upslope pattern was coming. It will fire back up too tomorrow after a short lull and could go into Saturday morning.

Would still be nice to grab another synoptic event in there, but it's come a long way since last week.

It is cranking up here right now.  1”/hr fluff.

BE045253-FFBD-4669-9610-59243CC59E22.thumb.jpeg.515eca9c3049f723497f16d7583c023b.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Definitely need another synoptic event south of Crawford and Pinkham Notches. We managed a half inch imby this morning, but for the most part we still have the death crust leftover from last weekend with a little dust on top of it here in Jackson. The Doublehead ski trail behind my house is not very enjoyable at the moment, and this area just doesn't get the upslope. Amazing what a different world it is just 20 minutes north right now.

10 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Definitely need another synoptic event south of Crawford and Pinkham Notches. We managed a half inch imby this morning, but for the most part we still have the death crust leftover from last weekend with a little dust on top of it here in Jackson. The Doublehead ski trail behind my house is not very enjoyable at the moment, and this area just doesn't get the upslope. Amazing what a different world it is just 20 minutes north right now.

Was looking at the MW avalanche site. The manual Obs site from Hermit lake Now has a 37 inch depth. That’s pretty sweet hopefully it keeps shooting up. I think the snotel says it’s at 3750 a little bit down the trail and has about 31-32”. Awesome pics looked like a great tour. As of Monday Chimney pond, Came in with 18” depth I believe. The Adirondack backcountry updates will come tomorrow I’m interested to see what Lake Colden is reporting. They had 11.5” before this significant storm cycle and have caught some lake effect. They’re also reporting depth from a few additional spots around the ADK This year which is cool. Old forge and snowmobile country has cashed in on lake effect all in all this system was generous to all the areas that desperately needed snow. Hopefully deep winter is here and rolls on in the mountains.