Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I love that tidbit, lol I was the master at finding empty chairs.

It’s been a Stowe constant as long as I’ve been here.  The crowds will back up at the FourRunner for the shiny high-speed lift.  And forgo the slow double chair that goes to pretty much the same place.  I always try to highlight it to people because I have no sympathy for people complaining about a lift line when right next to it there’s a chair with no line.

Here I am skiing past the line recently, and skiing right onto the Double with no wait.

54430D85-B05E-4847-863A-EAF2478A3E79.jpeg.f9ee1bb9e7c6721a66c9e346f79567f6.jpeg

FBA119C1-5BAA-4F29-BDB0-2962656982D0.jpeg.8fd140fef6697b356500350ce4092218.jpeg

So many people bitching online about liftlines this weekend.  My favorite was the person on the Jay Peak facebook page bitching about wind holds on sat and the resort not caring about social distancing.  As if they have any idea what the wind at the summit was like.  It was MLK weekend, prob the second busiest weekend of the year and lifts are running at half capacity.  Throw in the first major snow dump for many resorts and I saw lines that were pretty typical of any other year.  All in all, I think most resorts with a couple exceptions have done an outstanding job at giving us a fairly normal ski season compared to what's going on in the rest of the world.  

7 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

So many people bitching online about liftlines this weekend.  My favorite was the person on the Jay Peak facebook page bitching about wind holds on sat and the resort not caring about social distancing.  As if they have any idea what the wind at the summit was like.  It was MLK weekend, prob the second busiest weekend of the year and lifts are running at half capacity.  Throw in the first major snow dump for many resorts and I saw lines that were pretty typical of any other year.  All in all, I think most resorts with a couple exceptions have done an outstanding job at giving us a fairly normal ski season compared to what's going on in the rest of the world.  

This is where skiers and riders get the stereotype of being one of the most entitled groups of people out there, ha.  And I say that with love and that I am in it too sometimes when I don’t step back and realize... “it’s just sliding on snow.”

So much complaining about a leisure activity sometimes.  I try to block it out, haha.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is where skiers and riders get the stereotype of being one of the most entitled groups of people out there, ha.  And I say that with love and that I am in it too sometimes when I don’t step back and realize... “it’s just sliding on snow.”

So much complaining about a leisure activity sometimes.  I try to block it out, haha.

you have to...skiing, riding, snow and the mountains in general are my stress relief.  It should be something that makes you feel excitement and that getting away from all the bs feeling.  When it starts causing stress and anxiety, find something else that doesn't.

Like 1am Euro runs.

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I know I was just happy to be out there. I paid for my skiing habit by driving Uber in Burlington PT when it was worthwhile.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What those people don’t know if there’s a fixed grip double chair right next to that (Lookout Double) that is open and goes to the same place...didn’t have a line all weekend.

But Sunday of MLK Weekend during a monster snowstorm and we never came close to actually running out of parking or having any traffic issues... rare.  Was very light on the whole compared to normal.

Yeah, b/c everyone from eastern Massachusetts was at Attitash and Wildcat! I like that double - the top of Lookout trail has a nice old school vibe, narrow, steep, big bumps and the chair hangs low to ground.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jculligan said:

I'm kicking myself now, because for some reason the idea of Crescent Ridge didn't even pop into my head until this evening. I would have much rather skied 20" of powder in your neck of the woods than served as a human-powered ice breaker in my backyard! But with deep cold moving in and a few more nickel-and-dime type events this week, I would imagine Crescent Ridge will be skiing very well for the foreseeable future.

Back on the weather side...I do like the potential for some squalls tomorrow night. It takes an extremely unstable setup for the squalls to push over the Notches into my neighborhood, but I have a feeling you'll be good for a couple/few inches of fluff by Wednesday morning.

It was definitely solid on Sunday. Top 150 vert or so of the gladed zone could have used some more snow but you can pick your way down no problem. Everything below there was good to go! 

IMG_20210117_104124543_BURST003.jpg

IMG_20210117_115330638_BURST014.jpg

IMG_20210117_125734260_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Angus said:

Yeah, b/c everyone from eastern Massachusetts was at Attitash and Wildcat! I like that double - the top of Lookout trail has a nice old school vibe, narrow, steep, big bumps and the chair hangs low to ground.

I still firmly believe it’s the lift capacity over here for the lines, not crowds.  Wildcat/Attitash definitely on the rise with Epic Pass and probably the VT travel regs are pushing some that way.

I’ve been taking the Gondola this morning.  I can see how it’s frustrating to some, but like I am typing this from the Gondi and for 8 people to get on it took 6 cabins!  Singles and a couple doubles.  8 people per cabin normally but this year right now I just watched 6 cabins come through to take 8 people up the hill!

The trails are completely empty, can ski top to bottom and not see anyone until the line at the bottom.  The Gondola is averaging under 2 riders per cabin.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I still firmly believe it’s the lift capacity over here for the lines, not crowds.  Wildcat/Attitash definitely on the rise with Epic Pass and probably the VT travel regs are pushing some that way.

I’ve been taking the Gondola this morning.  I can see how it’s frustrating to some, but like I am typing this from the Gondi and for 8 people to get on it took 6 cabins!  Singles and a couple doubles.  8 people per cabin normally but this year right now I just watched 6 cabins come through to take 8 people up the hill!

The trails are completely empty, can ski top to bottom and not see anyone until the line at the bottom.  The Gondola is averaging under 2 riders per cabin.

Shhh we tried to tell um midweek is where its at

Covid reality has set in for me and I will pursue my original strategy of skiing the VT areas on weekdays and skiing Wildcat on Sundays and Crotched on weekday nights occasionally. I will disregard the quarantine rules in VT rationalizing that I'm not setting foot inside a building, eating outside and riding a chair either alone or with only one other person (in the case of the quad). Hopefully, there is a snowmaking budget at Wildcat and it's the above average temps you've suggested which has prevented wildcat from making snow; and between snowmaking and natural snow, Wildcat will be able to make their normal push into the last weekend of April.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Shhh we tried to tell um midweek is where its at

with all the natural terrain open and no big washouts in the future, conditions should be great all week.  Its def lift capacity.  You can tell by the way the trails are holding up midweek like last week after 3-4".  Normally, by afternoon that is all skied off.  I forget who posted it last week but 100 percent on point; this strom and the upslope after was a game changer in the Greens.

We’ve had some general flurries around here at the house today, but it’s been clouding up more as we’ve gotten into the afternoon, and the flakes are starting to come down more consistently.  This is a little early per the specifics in our point forecast, but based on the radar, this could be due to the approach of the next system:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

1217 PM EST Tue Jan 19 2021

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

As of 904 AM EST Tuesday...Weak clipper low pressure system centered north of the Great Lakes will track towards our region today, then cross the area overnight. Light snow showers will spread into our area from the west this afternoon, continuing to spread across the area overnight.

We had already been planning to head back to the mountain yesterday for an early morning start, since Bolton’s highest elevation lifts (Vista Quad and Wilderness Double) never ran on Sunday due to high winds.  They both ran fine yesterday and delivered some great skiing on the upper mountain.  Conditions already would have been great, but that extra 3-4” of sub-4% H2O champagne put the icing on the cake, and it continued to snow much of the morning as well.

I already summed up the VT resort snow totals for Winter Storm Malcolm in my post yesterday, but ultimately everyone along the spine seemed to be in that 1½ to 2 foot range.  Without a heavily consolidated based below what just fell from Malcolm, it’s tough to get settled depths from just this storm because there’s no clear demarcation in the snowpack.  Depth checks of the settled snowpack that I made yesterday were all in the 20”+ range, and it was certainly deep up around 3,000’.  I did a snowpack depth check right around the 3,000’ mark in the Outlaw Woods, and found 32”, which seemed somewhat reasonable with a depth of 30” reported from the Mt. Mansfield Stake.

I can’t speak to the financial aspects, but in terms of snow conditions, it was definitely a solid holiday weekend for the resorts.  A couple more shots from yesterday:

18JAN21C.jpg

18JAN21G.jpg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

We’ve had some general flurries around here at the house today, but it’s been clouding up more as we’ve gotten into the afternoon, and the flakes are starting to come down more consistently.  This is a little early per the specifics in our point forecast, but based on the radar, this could be due to the approach of the next system:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

1217 PM EST Tue Jan 19 2021

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

As of 904 AM EST Tuesday...Weak clipper low pressure system centered north of the Great Lakes will track towards our region today, then cross the area overnight. Light snow showers will spread into our area from the west this afternoon, continuing to spread across the area overnight.

I just drove through your neighborhood on my way to a periodontist appointment and there was snow blurring the mountains down towards Sugarbush and Camel’s Hump. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Putting aside, entitlement, it’s just plain stupid.  Drives me nuts when I hear wind hold complaints.  Do they think the resort management wants to close a lift unnecessarily?  Why would they?  There isn’t any upside to it for the resort, they’re still paying the lift operators.  

meanwhile, I almost don’t want to say it out loud, but conditions are fantastic and forecast is promising.  No whammies.

3 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

with all the natural terrain open and no big washouts in the future, conditions should be great all week.  Its def lift capacity.  You can tell by the way the trails are holding up midweek like last week after 3-4".  Normally, by afternoon that is all skied off.  I forget who posted it last week but 100 percent on point; this strom and the upslope after was a game changer in the Greens.

That’s an understatement.  And to think, at this time last week, the models tried to rain on the parade.  

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I just drove through your neighborhood on my way to a periodontist appointment and there was snow blurring the mountains down towards Sugarbush and Camel’s Hump. 

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

Oh yah, it’s snowing here.

The flakes have been small thus far and really only amounted to a dusting, but now we’re getting some larger flakes with measurable accumulation – it’s in association with that area of more intense returns hitting our area along the Chittenden/Washington country border:

19JAN21A.gif

1 hour ago, alex said:

Snowing again here too

Other than about 2.5" of slushy crap here during the synoptic part of the last storm nothing has happened the last couple of days.  Stray flurries here and there.  The ground is white with crusty snow but it's a different world on the south side of the mountains.  Glad your enjoying winter.   It's funny  I feel I'm not part of the NNE group with all your upslope snow but not the SNE group either.  Just lost here in Central NH as we wait for the next one whenever that may be...

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Other than about 2.5" of slushy crap here during the synoptic part of the last storm nothing has happened the last couple of days.  Stray flurries here and there.  The ground is white with crusty snow but it's a different world on the south side of the mountains.  Glad your enjoying winter.   It's funny  I feel I'm not part of the NNE group with all your upslope snow but not the SNE group either.  Just lost here in Central NH as we wait for the next one whenever that may be...

Aww. Definitely an unusual winter. Upslope is a great insurance policy. One just wouldn’t think you’d need insurance in January in Central NH