Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Event totals: 7.7” Snow/1.44” L.E.

The snow definitely dried out substantially with this morning’s round of precipitation – it’s certainly down into upslope snow territory at 3.3% H2O.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.5 inches

Still lightly snowing on and off. Enough to make I-89 a little slick. I was on my way back from W. Lebanon and had a car spin out in front of me between exits 5 and 6. The guy did a good job keeping it between the guardrails without hitting anything. I bet he wanted to change his pants afterward, I almost had to. Luckily we were both going only 55 or so and I was keeping some distance between us. 

Event totals: 8.1” Snow/1.45” L.E.

There’s still a bit of snow falling out there, so we’ll see if there’s anything else to add to this event overnight.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 30.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

• Like 1

The family was up at Bolton Valley for a ski session this morning, and I’ll pass along a few updates.  The mountain reported an additional 6” of snow as of their early report today, making for a 14” storm total at that point.  That will probably go up a bit more for tomorrow since it was still snowing while were there, and indeed the snowfall was heavy at times.

They had a resort-wide power outage in the morning (presumably some heavy, wet snow and/or winds brought something down on the Bolton Valley Access Road), so that delayed opening a bit.  We’d planned to just do lift-served skiing on alpine gear today, but catching wind of the power outage via the snow report, we brought Telemark gear as well, and ascended via the Timberline uphill route to make a quick run there while we waited for the Timberline Quad to open.

We switched over to alpine gear once the Timberline Quad started loading, and the skiing was great.  While we were hanging out, we checked total snowpack depth on the Spell Binder trail at around the 2,000’ elevation mark, and generally got depths of 18-20”.

Due to high winds, the uppermost lifts (Vista Quad and Wilderness Double) never opened, so we ended up skiing in just the 1,500’ to 2,500’ elevation range on Timberline.  I know from my experience at the resort yesterday that the snow was notably drier on the upper mountain, so what we skied today in those lower elevations was a bit on the denser side.  The powder had certainly become drier overall with the overnight addition of upslope snow vs. just the dense snow from yesterday, but I bet the snow is even drier in the upper elevations of the main mountain.  With that said, the snow at Timberline was still fantastic, with lots of untracked powder available as ski patrol did their checks and other work to get new trails open.

The mountain is planning to run all the lifts tomorrow as long as the winds die down, so there could be some nice turns on the lifts that didn’t open at all today.

A few shots from this morning:

17JAN21F.jpg

17JAN21G.jpg

17JAN21C.jpg

17JAN21B.jpg

17JAN21D.jpg

17JAN21A.jpg

17JAN21E.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17” as of 4pm today about 2/3rds of the way up the mountain.

91C820F0-A1A7-4094-A7D9-CF7AAD0CCB85.thumb.jpeg.5f6c44d47102aa18b6de19d877072eae.jpeg

6 hours later at 10:30pm it’s still snowing lightly on Mansfield and here in town there’s been another half inch or so this evening.  Might be a couple extra inches by morning up on the hill since 4pm but radar looks to finally be dying off.

B0366022-923E-49B3-ADE5-F31F30F379F9.jpeg.1c43d1e7ccdd43fdaca64dfa17603e69.jpeg

A buddy is reporting a quick 4” in Burlington this morning, ha.  Looks like NWS is on it.

We had another 1” overnight in Stowe Village.

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/... As of 542 AM EST Monday...Forecast is playing out nicely but had to make some adjustments upward on morning snow totals as snowfall rates of 1-2"/hr were observed locally here at BTV for couple of hours as the flow became highly blocked. Locally across western portions of Chittenden county you`ll likely find a solid 3" of snowfall as the sun rises, and probably a few spots closer to 4". Issued a special weather statement earlier to highlight a slippery morning commute.

• Like 2

Event totals: 11.2” Snow/1.56” L.E.

I guess we weren’t nearly at the end of the system yet, because we woke up to another solid accumulation of champagne flakes here.  The mountain reported similar accumulations to bring their storm total to 19”.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 28.2

Snow Density: 3.5% H2O

Temperature: 30.9 F

Sky: Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 13.0 inches

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

A buddy is reporting a quick 4” in Burlington this morning, ha.  Looks like NWS is on it.

We had another 1” overnight in Stowe Village.

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/... As of 542 AM EST Monday...Forecast is playing out nicely but had to make some adjustments upward on morning snow totals as snowfall rates of 1-2"/hr were observed locally here at BTV for couple of hours as the flow became highly blocked. Locally across western portions of Chittenden county you`ll likely find a solid 3" of snowfall as the sun rises, and probably a few spots closer to 4". Issued a special weather statement earlier to highlight a slippery morning commute.

Yeah, I was even wondering if we were going to get anything overnight, but there was 3”+ on the boards at observations time, and it’s still be coming down fairly steadily.  Snow density analysis came in at 3.5%, so this is great topping – even the BV snow report commented on it.  We know what this is alright…

CreamPuffs.jpg

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Temp dropping to 23 degrees now. Nice chilly day. 

I'm sitting at 32F which is slightly above average.   Just a guess but 23F is slightly above average for you on the coldest week of the year.  Just a guess.  Wish there was better long term data in the Whites.  Maybe someone knows?

17 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm sitting at 32F which is slightly above average.   Just a guess but 23F is slightly above average for you on the coldest week of the year.  Just a guess.  Wish there was better long term data in the Whites.  Maybe someone knows?

Pretty sure it’s above average here but still cold compared to how it’s been. 

• Like 1